Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:18:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord Games Black Seas HMS Victory Build  (Read 8531 times)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: Warlord Games Black Seas HMS Victory Build
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2020, 08:13:59 PM »
@ ErikB and DintheDin

Thanks for the encouraging remarks!

Working on the hull now. Will post a couple shots when it is complete.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2020, 05:00:13 PM »
Okay, the hull painting is now more or less complete. The white area which contain, I believe, the hammocks and stuff, I've left for the very last as I am handling that area quite a bit.

The model itself has lots of detail thrown in there which actually makes it a huge pain to paint. To be quite honest, I liked the way they handled the gun ports far more with the L'Orient than the Victory. I think the L'Orient looked better at this point to be quite honest.  :-I

Nevertheless, I have given it my best wack and here is a way to close photo to give you an idea of where I am and you can see all the mistakes I've made trying to get her ship shape:

So many, many lines to paint on these models. I tell you my eyes are like this  o_o after a couple hours of work.

Next I'll go after the bow.

P.S.: The Santisima Trinidad showed up in the post and boy is she impressive.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2020, 05:17:23 PM »
Arduous but rewarding job! The final result will be impressive, I'm sure! Following with great interest! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2020, 05:38:18 PM »
Cheers, Din!

Dunno, have you seen the figurehead of the Victory?

Dats going to be really difficult.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2020, 05:59:36 PM »
Yikes!

I've taken a closer look at the Victory's figurehead and it appears that my model is missing the upper part of the figurehead.

On nose!  :o

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2020, 07:34:54 PM »
Yea... there is supposed to be a figurehead. But it appears mine has broken off.

If you look at my last photo, you can see that right at the end of the bow there is a round, flat area. I noticed that when I first unboxed the model, but didn't think anything of it. Right there is where the upper portion of the figurehead should be.

:'(

Not sure what I will do now. Obviously I will have to do something, but what is the question?

Anything I can come up with will only be an approximation... jeez.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2020, 09:04:50 PM »
Sorry about that! Don't be too obsessed with it. Such things happen!
Deal with something else for the moment and in the meantime you will get an idea, I'm sure!
Smile and keep things rolling!  :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2020, 11:40:47 PM »
Well, being the obsessive person I can sometimes be (especially when minis are concerned), I crafted a 3 piece metal structure and plonked it in place. It will do. The rest of the figurehead is not really very well done, so, "good enough" will work.

:)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2020, 07:14:37 AM »
Perfect! It is fine that you found a practicable solution! Cheers!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2020, 10:55:58 AM »
Yea... there is supposed to be a figurehead. But it appears mine has broken off.

If you look at my last photo, you can see that right at the end of the bow there is a round, flat area. I noticed that when I first unboxed the model, but didn't think anything of it. Right there is where the upper portion of the figurehead should be.

:'(

Not sure what I will do now. Obviously I will have to do something, but what is the question?

Anything I can come up with will only be an approximation... jeez.

Go back to Warlord and see if they will supply a replacement.  Alternatively look at the plastic models, they have various figureheads which might do at a pinch.

By the way this is just as impressive as the L'Orient build.  :-* :-*

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2020, 01:33:16 PM »
Wait!  You missed a spot!

(Just teasing.)

Fantastic job, Ray.  I keep looking at your pictures for inspiration as I make my little ships, too.  Unfortunately, my 3rd rates and Brigs are stuck at my office and I'm at home in quarantine... still have the frigates and merchants, though.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2020, 01:56:51 PM »
Wait!  You missed a spot!

lol

When I looked at my model and saw that I was missing the upper part of the figurehead and saw this nice round surface, I thought ... "Damn, I must have thrown that piece away!" I had a frantic search of my box and finally looked at the instructions (why do we always do this last  ::)) and was able to determine, yep, that piece had broken off and nope, I didn't have it in the box. Mind you, it could have been there and I missed it and threw it away.

Oh well... such is life.  :)

Thanks for the encouraging comments boys! Full steam ahead!

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2020, 06:38:26 PM »
Not sure if it will help or if it's the right size but I have some figurehead leftovers from my 3rd Rates and frigates.  Is it worth sending to you?

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2020, 08:45:50 PM »
Not sure if it will help or if it's the right size but I have some figurehead leftovers from my 3rd Rates and frigates.  Is it worth sending to you?

Thanks for the offer, but I have already created a figurehead. It doesn't look the greatest, but it will do.

Thanks again.