Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:08:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Best 28mm Minis for Hernando de Soto's N. American expedition?  (Read 2561 times)

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
Re: Best 28mm Minis for Hernando de Soto's N. American expedition?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2020, 03:40:42 AM »
One of the ones I enjoyed the most was River of Darkness https://www.amazon.com/River-Darkness-Francisco-Orellanas-22-Feb-2011/dp/B012HVJELA/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1585884498&sr=1-4
I also have one called Brutal Journey https://www.amazon.com/Brutal-Journey-Story-Crossing-America-ebook/dp/B00CGFCES8/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1Y454V0OZ336G&dchild=1&keywords=brutal+journey&qid=1585884756&s=books&sprefix=brutal%2Cstripbooks%2C169&sr=1-2.I do have a ton of books to read but can't read like I did as my eyes get tired.Right now I've been focusing on the French from Champlain's time until the early 18th cen. expansion to the west in Illinois country to Louisiana.
Mark

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2020, 08:22:27 PM »
Mike, didn't Wargames Atlantic just release news of about range of 28mm Conquistadors and Aztecs and couldn't some of those Conquistadors work for you. (Now back to building more terrain and scenics for my 28mm 2nd Seminole War project.)

Bill

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2020, 01:06:23 AM »
For those who likes paintings here's an artist who does some great ones of the Conquistadors. https://www.jimcarsonstudio.com/portfolio/3 A lot of other great paintings also.
Mark

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2020, 02:45:52 PM »
Thanks, everyone - I really appreciate the responses to this thread. Love the paintings - very evocative! I will be doing some surfing and ordering this week, it looks like!  lol

Mike Demana

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2020, 02:55:58 PM »
Cortes

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2020, 03:01:16 PM »
Wonderful artwork!

Great as references.
(Perhaps word of this thread will reach somebody like the Perry's and they'll add even more options.)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 03:04:00 PM by BillK »

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2020, 07:48:02 AM »
Great artwork,thanks for posting  :)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2020, 01:05:38 AM »
I have finished my previous rulebook I was working on, and have begun the research for the Hernando de Soto one. Starting off with the Duncan's Hernando de Soto: A Savage Quest in the Americas.

I have also finagled a JSTOR membership to get PDFs of academic journals. I'm hoping to find some interesting, current research which will help reconstruct scenarios for the campaign book.

Thanks again, everyone, for the suggestions on miniatures, books, and more!!

Mike Demana

Offline zippyfusenet

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2020, 02:53:26 AM »
Since you've given this thread a bump, Mike, I'll suggest one more source for you, a trilogy of novels by W. Michael and Kathleen O'Neal Gear called Contact: The Battle for America. I don't often read fiction, but I like the Gears' writing. The Gears are practicing archeologists who specialize in prehistoric North America. They write novels set in prehistoric Indian societies. Their books are novels, not textbooks, but they draw on their professional knowledge to create them.

Contact: The Battle For America is a tale of the Indian response and resistance to De Soto's invasion. There are no historical sources from the Mississippians in the 1540s, except for what the Spaniards recorded. The Gears have imaginatively created an Indian narrative of this war. Since you are writing a set of wargame rules, you may be interested in the Gears' insights into the tactical problems of neolithic warriors battling Renaissance Europeans.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=W.+Michael+and+Kathleen+O%27Neal+Gear+contact+the+battle+for+america&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss
You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2020, 02:22:44 PM »
Hi Irv! I actually have the entire trilogy of that one sitting on my coffee table. I figured if I did not get enough good scenario ideas out of the primary & secondary sources, I could always use those for inspiration. Weirdly, I read the second of the three years ago before I realized it was a trilogy. I did enjoy it...

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Mike Demana