Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:26:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Conan vs. COVID-19: Free solo/co-op scenarios for fighting boredom  (Read 1350 times)

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
I created a two-part adaptation of the Conan adventure yarn "Beyond the Black River" in early 2018 for the Sellswords & Spellslingers rules. I ran it for the first time that summer at Historicon 2018, and have now run it at several conventions and game days since.

Sellswords & Spellslingers is designed for solo and co-op play, so to do my bit with helping the game community in its fight against boredom during these isolating pandemic days, I've decided to gather and organize all of the material I developed for my convention scenarios and make it freely available as a download via my blog. At the link you can find a 68-page PDF file with all of my player aids and notes.

SCRUM IN MINIATURE: https://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com/2020/03/striking-back-against-covid-19-free.html

SCRUM IN MINIATURE: https://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com/2020/03/striking-back-against-covid-19-free.html
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 07:22:54 PM by The Bibliophile »
Scrum in Miniature (my gaming blog): http://miniaturescrum.blogspot.com
Scrum Con (my miniatures+RPG convention in Wash, DC): https://sites.google.com/view/scrum-con/home
Above the Fray Miniatures (my minis company): https://sites.google.com/view/abovethefrayminiatures/home

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
Re: Conan vs. COVID-19: Free solo/co-op scenarios for fighting boredom
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 11:43:13 PM »
Version 1.1 posted.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 12:22:33 AM »
Wow thank you!

I read about it on you blog when I got into Sellswords and Spellslingers, so it is good to see you release the scenarios

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 01:15:12 AM »
Great post.  I really enjoyed playing at Fall In 2019.
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 03:23:45 PM »
I really enjoyed playing at Fall In 2019.

Pleased to hear it. I've been blessed with nothing but great players every time I've run it.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 01:35:28 PM »
I can't thank you enough for presenting us with this, Biblio. Clearly it's a labour of love. This whole discussion, along with the recent "Solo Sellswords" discussion here on LAF, have made me take another look at SS&SS. I had thought RoSD was my preferred system, but now I'm considering giving this set another go (or two).

Though I've only skimmed the first few pages of your PDF, I'm loving what I'm seeing. Conan seems rather under-powered but I'd guess that's because this was a convention game and as such it wouldn't do to have one player winning all the glory. Since I'd be doing this solo, with no fear of grabbing all the limelight from others, I might soup him up considerably, give him one rather talented sidekick (Belit or Sonja or...) and perhaps a red shirt or two as companions. But then I wouldn't want to make things too one-sided. It might take some tweaking. At any rate, these days at least I have the time!

Many thanks again for this wonderful resource. Stay well!

Offline pws

• Scientist
    • Pippoweb hobby blog
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 02:22:50 PM »
Great post. Looking forward to try it at home!  :-*
Per aspera ad astra
pippoweb.blogspot.it

Offline Lord Borjado

• Librarian
  • Nobody expects Spanish Inquisition
    • 18º de Port Belisario
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 02:51:46 PM »
Downloaded, I'll try to adapt it to my own background. Thank you very much! :)

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 05:58:02 PM »
Thanks!

Will the Monolith Conan retail box work, or will we need more mini's?

I actually have a King pledge.

Thanks!
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 04:48:37 PM »
Conan seems rather under-powered but I'd guess that's because this was a convention game and as such it wouldn't do to have one player winning all the glory.

You nailed it, Arundel. Didn't one player having a character significantly better than anybody else. I did stat Conan, Valeria, Subotai, and Balthus all a little higher then the other charcters, but not enough that it would throw the experience out of whack. And the players that roll highest get to pick their melee-oriented characters first, and then the order is reversed for choosing archers. so that most players get a chance to choose one of the slightly better characters.

Interestingly, Conan actually has died in about half the games I've run. There's usually a moment of shock around the table when this happens, which is a nice note of drama in the game. But I agree, there's no reason you couldn't make Conan and a couple of companions more powerful and tackle the missions with fewer characters overall, especially if you're playing it solo.

Offline The Bibliophile

• Scientist
    • Scrum in Miniature
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 12:07:42 AM »
Thanks!

Will the Monolith Conan retail box work, or will we need more mini's?

I actually have a King pledge.

Thanks!

I used about six of the Picts from that set for the Brutes, but I used smaller, less bulky figures (Skraelings/Native Americans) for the average Pict warriors and archers. For a 12 character game, I'd say you need around 6-8 brutes and 30-40 regular Picts (25 or so warriors, and 15 or so archers). They might not all end up on the table at the same time, but it's possible. If you go to my blog you'll see some good examples of the figures I used. You can get away with fewer if you have fewer characters in the game.