Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:24:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Cororonavirus inspired project  (Read 1200 times)

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
My Cororonavirus inspired project
« on: March 25, 2020, 02:47:49 PM »
With enforced isolation I wanted to start a special Coronavirus project and since reading Y Goddodin and my expeditions to walk the Goddodin Trail near our seaside caravan being postponed a vague idea of building a suitable force came to mind.  So I started sorting the “Cupboard of Forgotten Souls” where surplus plastic sprues and boxed figures linger.  In it I found several boxes of Gripping Beast Dark Ages figures (DA cavalry, Goth cavalry, DA warriors, Saxon thegns) and Mantic Undead, Abyssal and Forces of Nature Army boxes.  I also found a couple of bags of loose sprues of various types and Frostgrave female warriors and cultists and a box of Perry Mahdists.

So what to do with all this lot?

Back Story:
Long, long ago in the time of legends when evil rose from the abyss and threatened the realms of men.  The greatest and most splendid of the kingdoms was that of King Covidius XIX.  But that kingdom had a rotten core.  Many of the nobles and priests had been subverted by the acolytes of the Snake Goddess.  Their evil and debauched worship promised everlasting life in return for sacrifices.  The cult of the Legless Queen, as the Snake Goddess was sometimes called, gained strength and even King Covidius XIX was said to worship in a secret temple within the palace.

Over the years the king did not age and his rule lasted three centuries.  It has to be said that the kingdom prospered and many nobles and merchants became rich and long lived.  Gradually tales of strange and evil creatures raiding, raping, slaughtering and carrying off victims spread throughout the land.  King Covidius the Undying, as he now styled himself did nothing.  Indeed he drew further away from his people and the land was ruled by the High Priest of Eru.

Then the Men of the North rose against the High Priest and drove out his followers from their lands.  Their success caused the High Priest to reveal himself to be none other than the Archnecromancer Koronna Vyruz, the High Priest of the Snake Goddess.  To counter the Men of the North he called forth the Legions of the Undead ruled by the Wight Bohrahz the Delayer, the forces of the Abyss led by the Demon Lord Mikal Ghauv and the human forces of the king spread out throughout the land confining all to their homes and killing those who disobeyed.  Only for them to reappear in the legions of the undead.

Terror spread throughout the land and all who still survived prayed to Eru for succour. And from beyond the Great Wall in answer came the White Shields – The Men of the North.  They came to cleanse the land of the undead, demons and corruption.  They rode south to restore nature and law and good.  Many desiring good and freedom rallied to their banner.

This still a work in progress…
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 03:42:34 PM by dadlamassu »
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
Re: My Cororonavirus inspired project
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 02:55:10 PM »
Im liking it so far!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 03:51:42 PM »
Stirring stuff. But............shouldn't this be on the Fantasy board?

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 04:20:27 PM »
Maybe - not sure where myths and legends end and fantasy begins.  Mods may decide to move it.

Offline FAB

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 08:09:45 PM »
" Demon Lord Mikal Ghauv"

Most excellent.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
Re: My Cororonavirus inspired project - The Undead
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 04:14:43 PM »
The first units have been painted - all are from the Mantic Undead Army box with commanders from the Lead Mountain.

Commanders - I have not named these ones yet.  One, at least, will do double duty in my Lord of the Rings Army of Mordor.  The figures are the old LOTR Mouth of Sauron, Unknown but I think from the same or similar range and a Warhammer necromancer with a converted foot equivalent and an Unknown but I think from the same LOTR range as Mouth of Sauron or similar range.

A unit of Ghouls many have weapons and parts from other sets (Skaven, snakemen, orcs, goblins etc)

The zombies with a number of head and arm swaps.

The skeletons.  I wanted a faded dusty look that fits with the idea that these are recently reanimated from a barrow tomb after a few centuries.  I still have to make a banner for them.  I quite like the result and may do another unit.  (If anyone has any of these Mantic skeletons to dispose of please PM me as I'd like to try some conversions.)

The supporting artillery.  The crews are a bit small at 4 serving both catapults so I need to look for a about 3 or 4 more suitable figures.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 04:17:12 PM by dadlamassu »