Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:39:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686549
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (Commercial) Oathmark has been launched today.  (Read 2852 times)

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
(Commercial) Oathmark has been launched today.
« on: March 31, 2020, 05:13:42 PM »
The long awaited fantasy battle game from Osprey, Oathmark: Battles of the Lost Age has been launched today.

It's been made available without a pre-order fanfare, or a Nickstarter, or any special deals (like the free Sorcerer figure we planned) because of the COVID-19 situation. Osprey are unsure if their warehouse will remain open over the next few weeks, most of the North Star staff are at home for their own safety, so we've made the book available now and we'll be sending them out from tomorrow.

We have a system to get the books alone out quick. If you add figures or anything else to the book order, we will do it as quick as we can of course, but it'll still take extra time. if you want the book ASAP, just order it on it's own.

It's a fantastic book, just what you need if you are staying home for the next couple of weeks, grab a copy.

http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=14771

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
Re: (Commercial) Oathmark has been launched today.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 05:30:01 PM »
Well i dont need asking twice!ordered.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 05:31:24 PM »
I have ordered two. Hope to see a Nickstarter later with the elven light infantry.

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 06:03:56 PM »
Yup, looks like good old fashioned fantasy.
On my list....
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 12:40:46 AM »
I ordered one!
Been waiting sooo long!
Maybe you should celebrate the early release (before April) instead of not doing a Nickstarter.
I see some benefits:
a) Lets me save for the inevitable Nickstarter
b) hopefully my wife and kids will be back at work/school then so no one will notice another large package of figures addressed to me  ;) lol
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 01:00:18 AM »
b) hopefully my wife and kids will be back at work/school then so no one will notice another large package of figures addressed to me  ;) lol

A dark side of this quarantine that I hadn't thought of  :o

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 02:39:42 AM »
A dark side of this quarantine that I hadn't thought of  :o
I'll admit even though I'm an essential worker and go to work daily, I've been a bit stir crazy and have ordered a bunch of stuff the past two weeks.

Nothing crazy or expensive but the volume will be noticed. Luckily as I was going to work today. I saw the mail person had dropped off a package from my local FLGS so was able to sneak that one into the house. So I'm up one!

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 04:52:28 AM »
I'll admit even though I'm an essential worker and go to work daily, I've been a bit stir crazy and have ordered a bunch of stuff the past two weeks.

Nothing crazy or expensive but the volume will be noticed. Luckily as I was going to work today. I saw the mail person had dropped off a package from my local FLGS so was able to sneak that one into the house. So I'm up one!

Bloody hell, I have had no time to go stir crazy or really get in any painting/gaming time through the week.  My work seems to be 50% busier!

As to these rules, I will wait to see how some reviews go.  Once upon a time I would have bought them immediately.  They have one mechanism I don't like for a big battle game - figure removal.  They also have a feature I don't like if I want a big battle solo game - alternate activation.  For me, the thing that would sell it is a good combat resolution system.

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 12:05:26 PM »
So, base sizes?
I noticed that infantry and cavalry appear to each have 25mm frontage?
And units are 5 wide.

I’ve just ordered a load of 20mm bases to rebase my army currently on round bases!
Maybe I should stick to 20mm for my infantry and just make a movement tray that’s the correct width?
Or just buy some 25mm bases and commit to the Oathmark system?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 12:08:07 PM »
Infantry on 25mm square, cavalry on 25x50, monsters on 50x50 and dragons on 50x100 is what was said about bases before release. Probably someone already has rules and can contribute more details.

Movement trays should work just fine. Several people at my club are gearing up with trays for their 20mm based infantry. I've gone with 25mm squares on both my Game of Thrones minis and my dedicated Oathmark force, and I really like how it looks.

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 02:34:07 PM »
I’ve ordered my copy of the rules.
I’ll probably try 20mm bases with a sabot.

Offline WillPhillips

• Librarian
    • Will's Tabletop Projects
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 03:02:38 PM »
I've been eagerly waiting for this to release, so my thanks to Northstar and Osprey for figuring out how to get it into peoples' hands in the midst of the pandemic.
Focused on 6mm pike and shot and 28mm Frostgrave
Blogging about my projects at Tabletop.WillPhillips.org

Offline Loop

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 03:14:36 PM »
Could anyone tell me what the ratio of rules to lore is?

I am one of those who would read Warhammer cover to cover but hardly ever actually play.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 04:34:00 PM »
Or just buy some 25mm bases and commit to the Oathmark system?

Use a movement tray. I am using them for my 25mm rounds and even my 25mm square bases

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 08:49:24 PM »
I like the idea of standard 25mm bases for all infantry for a couple of reasons.

First, the Warhammer-style "20mm for some, 25mm for others" made for visual nonsense. As an example, hobgoblins that were identically scaled and sized with samurai went on 25mm bases while the samurai went on 20mm. And those hobgoblins were often a bit smaller than half-orcs that went on smaller bases - and so on.And an allegiance to the powers of chaos seemed to force humans onto wider bases than their equally burly lawful counterparts. It also led to some huge figures being distinctly cramped (e.g. various plastic elves). No one seems to remember that Warhammer originally had a 15mm frontage for heavy infantry - I think the 20mm frontage should go the same way!

Second, a standard 25mm size makes it much easier to use round-based figures, as most people base theirs on 25mm rounds. You don't need to worry about working out how many are meant to be in contact if you can just line them up one for one.