Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:38:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690781
  • Total Topics: 118349
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warhammer Fortress  (Read 872 times)

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
Warhammer Fortress
« on: April 23, 2020, 10:06:43 AM »
I bought parts of the Warhammer fortress years ago and now, with all this time on my hands, I’d like to paint them. Unfortunately I have no idea what colours to use as I’ve not worked on a build like this before.

I’d be very grateful for any advice about how to paint the stone walls of this castle.

Thanks in anticipation of any help that can be offered!

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: Warhammer Fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 11:08:31 PM »
Is it the newer hard plastic or the old classic compressed foam? If it is the later I believe you need to be careful as some products may eat it.

Look at pictures of real castles. Try to use more than a single colour as stone has many variations and shades. Also look at real mortar. It tends to be light in colour. But many will add a wash to brick work to make the stones stand out but this is dark and consequently then does not look as potentially realistic. Sometimes moss will grow in the cracks which can then give a darker even green impression.

Experiment a few times until you are happy.

Look at many of the excellent examples of peoples castles here on LAF. Not sure exactly what sort of advice you need but hope that helps.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 11:27:10 PM by Golgotha »

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 11:28:12 PM »
I've been enjoying the GW contrast paints for stonework but any grey colour and a black wash should yield pretty good results. You could domamdrybrush with a lighter get.
Then pick out some stones with lighter or dark grey paint for variety. Wash these individually.
Add some green wash to the bottom to simulate slime (technical term) that accumulates on old stone. And you should be good to go.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Sardoo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 05:16:43 PM »
Thanks folks, these replies are really helpful.

Much obliged!