Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:29:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: TMWWBK Indian Mutiny Project. UPDATE: 14.4.20: Rebel Matchlock Men (p2)  (Read 3243 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Well, I'm stuck in for a week all on my own-some with a temperature and a bit of a cough (joy!) and as it's all pretty mild thus far, I've been busy painting. I needed a break from chopping up Plastic models to convert for Silmarillion  Elves (see my posts in the Fantasy board) and I've been reading a book on the Indian Mutiny so I dragged my sorry carcass up the loft and got out the Indian Mutiny figures I bought 5 years ago and made a start.

As always with TMWWBK, I have a factual basis for my games but a fictional setting, so I'm obviously in the factual 1857 Indian Sepoy Mutiny, but in the fictional campaign to subdue the rebel Raja of Rhanipur (back-story to come later). The British East India Company force is build around two companies of the 53rd Foot simply because I wanted some troops in red and a picture in the old Osprey book really drew me in.

The trickiest bit was that this regiment have red facings on their scarlet tunics so finding the right reds was paramount. Luckily, Foundry Scarlet is perfect for the facings and their Light Red is perfect for the tunics. The lighting has washed out the colour a bit on the pics below but I can assure you the choices are as bang on as you can get.

The models are Mutineer miniatures. Lovely sculpts. The only snag is that the sculptor (Mike Owen?), while brilliant at these advancing poses, is not quite as good at doing decent firing poses. So the next unit, which is a firing line, aren't quite as good on the pose front, but they'll paint up well enough. The rest of my British EIC force is Iron Duke miniatures which are universally superb, if very slightly smaller than the Mutineer figures.

Anyway, here is the first company of the 53rd Foot. Painting is my usual method - white undercoat, base coat with (usually Foundry) mid-tone shades, brush on AP Strong Tone dip, Dullcote, highlight with original basecoat colour and finally with the highlight shade. The Army Painter Strong Tone dip is perfect for the Mutiny as it gives everything a slightly 'dirty' feel with these reds and off-whites.

Next up: The Raja of Rhanipur's mercenary Baluchi Battalion
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:40:57 AM by guitarheroandy »

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: TMWWBK Indian Mutiny Project Begins. HM 53rd Regiment of Foot
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 03:02:50 PM »
Very nice painting on those Mutineer Miniatures.  I am looking forward to seeing how this runs.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 03:06:27 PM »
Lovely work  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 03:53:19 PM »
Nice work on those  :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 06:15:49 PM »
Those are ace!  :-*

I like how you didn't clutter up your bases with tons of tuffs. I like to see the miniatures. And these miniatures you painted up really nicely.

Looking forward to see how your project progresses.

And wishing you a quick recovery!

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 09:56:07 PM »
Looking good.
We’ve enjoyed several TMWWBK Indian Mutiny games that are posted here on LAF.
Flatpack

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 09:02:09 AM »
'God save the Queen’ we living sing,
From height to height ’tis heard;
And with the rest your voices ring,
       Lads of the Fifty-third.

Ah, my local mob. Well, kinda. Just over the county border five miles away. I thought some Housman was in order.

And you will list the bugle
That blows in lands of morn,
And make the foes of England
   Be sorry you were born.

I'm sure they will, once on the tabletop. Champion stuff!

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 09:38:43 AM »
'God save the Queen’ we living sing,
From height to height ’tis heard;
And with the rest your voices ring,
       Lads of the Fifty-third.

Ah, my local mob. Well, kinda. Just over the county border five miles away. I thought some Housman was in order.

And you will list the bugle
That blows in lands of morn,
And make the foes of England
   Be sorry you were born.

I'm sure they will, once on the tabletop. Champion stuff!

Nice one, Plynkes!!!!  :D

Thanks everyone!

Working on the Raja of Rhanipur's Baluchi mercenary matchlock men today. I thought I'd give them uniform colours as the Raja fancies himself as an heir to the Maratha empire and really rather likes a bit of pomp. However, I am REALLY regretting the choice of bright yellow for their uniform robes. B*gger me but yellow is a sod of a colour to paint! That'll teach me to go for a bit of bright colour to spice up the look for when the game eventually gets to a wargame show... Should've just stuck to off-white!!!  lol

Hopefully they'll be done and posted later today or first thing tomorrow and then you can all 'tut-tut' with me for my stupid choices!!  ;D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 10:46:13 AM »
Top drawer as per Andy  :-* :-* :-*

B*gger me but yellow is a sod of a colour to paint!

I start with an ochre as a base to avoid getting the yellow too bright or washed out with too much white. If I do add white to any of the highlights I tend to use VMC Ivory as it is much less stark then a regular white :)

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 11:28:15 AM »
The Brits are lovely, I’m looking forward to seeing your Baluchis. I hope you are feeling better as well. I too have found some extra time on my hands to paint.

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 12:42:07 PM »
Top drawer as per Andy  :-* :-* :-*

I start with an ochre as a base to avoid getting the yellow too bright or washed out with too much white. If I do add white to any of the highlights I tend to use VMC Ivory as it is much less stark then a regular white :)

Yeah I should've gone for ochre...went for Foundry bright yellow. Big mistake!! Pigment is very poor, so coverage is dreadful over anything other than white, so the base coat went on fine, but highlighting over the strong tone is dreadful. Still, they'll have to do. I can't change them now! At least there's only 3 units of Raja's own household troops - the other two units can have other colours!! Then it's loads of sepoys in lovely off-white... (plus two companies in red - They are the ex-EIC garrison of Rhanipur and the Raja insists on them keeping their uniform and drill...)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 05:42:06 PM »
Yeah I should've gone for ochre...went for Foundry bright yellow. Big mistake!! Pigment is very poor, so coverage is dreadful over anything other than white, so the base coat went on fine, but highlighting over the strong tone is dreadful. Still, they'll have to do. I can't change them now! At least there's only 3 units of Raja's own household troops - the other two units can have other colours!! Then it's loads of sepoys in lovely off-white... (plus two companies in red - They are the ex-EIC garrison of Rhanipur and the Raja insists on them keeping their uniform and drill...)

Having said that re: ochre base, things tend to balance out when you get towards the end of finishing a mini :)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 05:57:42 PM »
Top notch painting, I like their reds and whites! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Many thanks for the kind and positive comments thus far.

Here is the first unit for the Indian Mutiny rebel forces. These are Mercenary Baluchi tribesmen serving in the Raja of Rhanipur's private army in his Baluchi Battalion. They are Foundry models from the Darkest Africa range. They'll be Irregular Infantry, with antiquated musket (matchlocks) and poor shots (representing low rate of fire) but I'll upgrade their fighting stat to 5+ due to the fact that the Baluchis were fierce raiders and these models have huge and hulking great tulwars and little bucklers. They'll not be a lot of use against British/Company regulars in open battle, but they'll be tougher to shift if holding a prepared position in any scenario where the British/Company are attacking.

I wanted the three units of the Raja's personal army to be quite brightly uniformed to contrast with the mass of sepoy rebels who'll mostly be clad in off-white, so I chose yellow, purple and pale blue as they are pleasing enough together. However, I had no idea how bloody awful Foundry Bright Yellow is as a colour. It went on ok as a base coat over the white undercoat, but didn't take the dip wash well and was a nightmare to highlight due to low pigment strength. Still, after a huge battle, I managed to get them to look half-decent, so they'll do. They look ok at table-top distance and the bright colours will look good on a big 6x6 table if and when we take this project to a wargame show.

Next up: Rebel Rhanipur Citizen Matchlockmen

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
More nice work on those Beloochi  8)