Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:22:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mad Guru's Kandahar Game post #11 - Sept 6th: THRILL-PACKED CONCLUSION...  (Read 11717 times)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: Mad Guru's Kandahar Game Update #8: August 17th - GAME ON!!!
« Reply #75 on: August 19, 2020, 09:41:12 PM »
So much eye candy on one table I think my eyes are bleeding - awesome work.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: Mad Guru's Kandahar Game Update #8: August 17th - GAME ON!!!
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2020, 12:38:04 PM »
Fantastic! What a great set-up. You and your colleagues must have had so much fun. Brilliant!   :-*

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Re: Mad Guru's Kandahar Update #9: August 25th GAME ON - PART 2...
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2020, 10:48:01 AM »
Thanks once again for all the positive feedback, folks!

This past Saturday August 22nd we picked up our Battle of Kandahar 140th Anniversary game where it left off a week before.

We played 2 more turns -- 4 and 5 -- before taking another pause.

The 3HR time difference amongst players and between some players and the GMs made it difficult to press on past dinner time on the East Coast.

Once again all 6 players spread across the USA from coast to coast, and the 3 GMs here in Los Angeles, all seemed to enjoy themselves through 4-1/4 HRS of remote gaming goodness plus a 1 HR lunch-break. Like last time we used 2 separate "GOOGLE MEET"s each linked to a dedicated webcam on their side of the table plus their dedicated GM's iPhone camera for close-up views of units and terrain.

The 2 long-lasting turns were jam-packed with action. They were later described by an Afghan player as "wow, what a slug-fest!" and a British player as "very intense and fun!" As a GM, player feedback doesn't get much better than that.

The best part -- at least for me as a GM -- is that at the end of turn five I still don't know who's going to win.

It remains anyone's game.

The Brits have made progress at the South end of the table and are close to turning the corner -- literally and figuratively -- around the razorback ridge and Pir Paimal Village, despite command problems following the unfortunate demise of their Brigade Commander when he gallantly/recklessly attached himself to the 4th Gurkhas as they charged Tribal Foot entrenched in a drained stretch of canal.

In the middle of the table the Afghans brought so much fire to bear on 3rd Bengal Lancers (Skinner's Horse) as they raced straight through the Baba Wali Pass and charged a gun, that there were no Lancers left to close into combat with the crew. It was a mini "Charge of the Light Brigade", with the C.O. and NCO the last 2 figures to fall under an ill-timed (at least from the British POV) Afghan BONUS FIRE CARD.

At the North end of the table the British 1st Brigade has crossed over Marza Pass, routed a unit of Afghan Regular Cavalry and reduced the Infantry defending Marza Village to below half-strength, but are now taking fire from Afghan Artillery to the South.

Pre-game British intelligence reports included several units of Ghazi fanatics in the Afghan roster, and none have been seen so far, so it's possible there may be more surprises in store for the British.

RHA Lieutenant Hector MacLaine remains a prisoner in the Afghan Camp, currently being harangued by a hostile Ghazi, defended by a friendly Afghan Regular Cavalry Officer, and guarded by a neutral Regular Infantry Sentry. How his captivity will end is anyone's guess.

If you'd like to read more details about this still ongoing game and see a bunch of photos, come on over and visit my humble old-time blog at the LINK below, and thanks for your time if you choose to do so::

https://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2020/08/battle-of-kandahar-part-2.html

Meanwhile here's a taste of the visuals visible at the other end of the above link:

Whew.  I hope to be back again next week with the third and – perhaps – final installment of this remote gaming extravaganza...
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 10:52:49 AM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2020, 11:50:07 AM »
Superb as ever Ethan  :-* :-* :-*

There's so much to take in that one has to really examine every shot!  :o

Is the Mountain Gun Mule Train from Tiger miniatures?

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2020, 07:00:05 PM »
Thanks, Darrell.  The Indian Mountain Gun Pack Mules are from Old Glory.  Each set includes 1 officer, 1 NCO, 6 mule skinners, & 6 loaded mules.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2020, 07:43:58 PM »
Thanks, Darrell.  The Indian Mountain Gun Pack Mules are from Old Glory.  Each set includes 1 officer, 1 NCO, 6 mule skinners, & 6 loaded mules.

Thanks mate. I'm heading to their UK site now :)

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #81 on: August 26, 2020, 12:28:40 AM »
It truly is another Mad Guru productions, LLC extravaganza!!!!
Cheers,
Sgt G, recently promoted to Major General…

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2020, 10:26:49 AM »
Splendid .
I do love a busy table. More over I appreciate seening the sheer amount of time, level of effort and dedication taken to build such a collection.
Cracking stuff.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Mad Guru's Kandahar Update #9: August 31st - NEW PICS...
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2020, 09:18:16 PM »
Wow.

What a day and what a game.

I will be back some day soon with details on all aspects of this third day's events, including the results.

For now all I'll say is that it was AN EPIC SLUGFEST -- maybe the toughest, hardest fought miniature wargame I've ever participated in.  My two fellow GMs, my son Skylar and our good friend Matthew, and all 6 players -- Afghans Bob, Nick & Phil, and British Jeff, Mike & Dan -- did a great job of hanging in through the mix of epic highs and grinding lows.

Happily for all of us the game reached a definitive conclusion, and I'll tell you all about that the next time I post, after catching my breath and dealing with some "real life" work stuff.

Until then, here's some pics I took just before we kicked off this final leg of the Battle of Kandahar/Baba Wali 140th Anniversary Tour, and a LINK to my blog, which has a few more...

https://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2020/08/battle-of-kandahar-pt-3-thrill-packed.html

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Mad Guru's Kandahar Update #10: August 31st NEW PICS
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2020, 10:10:29 PM »
Cor, you really know how to put on a game, Guru. Sounds like you had a great time. I hope you did.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2020, 10:23:41 PM »
Absolutely outstanding Ethan!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

It's one of those games that one desperately wished to have witnessed at first hand and then some, then some again!

Wonderful  :)

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2020, 01:23:41 AM »
Wonderful terrain and figures.
Great photos, am at a lost for words.
So,  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Mad Guru's Kandahar Game post #11 - Sept 6th: THRILL-PACKED CONCLUSION...
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2020, 12:44:57 AM »
Plynkes, Darrell & Marine0846, thanks for your kind comments, which are always very much appreciated!

I finally managed to finish the AAR on our 140th Anniversary refight of the last major battle of the Second Afghan War.

As said by one of the Afghan players, it was an "EPIC SLUGFEST" – the results arguably hanging in the balance until the final -- 9th -- turn. Despite the odd blunder, all 6 Afghan and British commanders acquitted themselves very well indeed, and myself and my 2 fellow GMs all felt lucky to have them as players.  I also must reiterate that as organizer of the event I was VERY GRATEFUL to have my son, Skylar, and our buddy Matthew agree to help me run the game. I could not have done it alone.

The game took 3 days, stretched out over 3 weekends, played entirely via DIGITAL AUDIO & VIDEO using 2 Google "MEET" links, one for each side.

I won't spoil the ending here, so if you're interested in learning more, please click the LINK below to visit my blog, and thanks in advance should you choose to do so:

https://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2020/09/kandahar-140-aar-includes-thrill-packed.html

Though I won't spoil the ending, I will provide a sampling of the 80+ pics posted on the blog, as seen below...

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 05:44:01 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Mad Guru's Kandahar Game post #11 - Sept 6th: THRILL-PACKED CONCLUSION...
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2020, 09:49:00 AM »
 :o :o :o :o :o
 :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Amazing! Astonishing! I'm utterly gobsmacked at the beauty of the thing  :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Mad Guru's Kandahar Game post #11 - Sept 6th: THRILL-PACKED CONCLUSION...
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2020, 10:16:41 AM »
I love that shot of those Highlanders packed in on that rooftop. But I bet the officer had a devil of a time getting his horse up the stairs. :)