Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:51:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mad Guru's Kandahar Game post #11 - Sept 6th: THRILL-PACKED CONCLUSION...  (Read 11569 times)

Offline CTMM

• Librarian
Re: Mad Guru's 1880 Battle of Kandahar Game Prep - post #2
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2020, 01:33:57 PM »
Thanks again JB for the compliment. Another new internet friend. This hobby is so welcoming.

Ethan, I really love your games, such a display of beautiful figures. Museum quality.
I still look at your Camerome game. I really get inspired when I see pics of great battles.

Offline Eclaireur

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 10:02:18 PM »
Guru my friend, agree that's a fascinating detail

"littered with dead men and horses ... on the hillside North of the village (Gundamullah Sahibdad), where Ayub's cavalry had charged our troops..."

Fascinating that they had tried a full on charge. Will follow your project with the greatest interest,
EC

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2020, 12:15:50 AM »
Eclaireur, the Kandahar refight project continues, and I will be posting an update soon.

Chris, thanks so much for your comments re: my 150th Anniversary Camerone game from 2013.  That game ranks amongst the best hobby experiences of my life, largely thanks to the work you did making all the buildings, the 30" sq Hacienda de la Trinidad compound in particular.

Here's some pics showing the start of that game, just because I think they rate being shared, and after all, it is CAMERONE DAY -- VIVE LA LEGION:

In honor of today being CAMERONE DAY, I am including a LINK to the extensive series of photos from the game you mentioned, which I first posed on my Camerone Day blog back in May 2013, for anyone interested in seeing more:

http://cameroneday.blogspot.com/2013/05/my-camerone-day-2013-pics-1-of-x.html

« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 12:21:36 AM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2020, 04:58:10 AM »
Very cool.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2020, 05:26:27 AM »
I spy that fine gentleman, Mr. Stirn - he has a bit more gray hair these days!

Looks cool.  Did that game ever make it up to Pacificon?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2020, 07:29:52 AM »
As beautiful a game as we have come to expect MG  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Re: Mad Guru's Battle of Kandahar Game Prep - post #3 - May 1st UPDATE
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2020, 08:57:28 AM »
Thanks very much for the kind compliments, CommissarMoody and Atheling!

@FifteensAway: That Camerone game never made it anywhere outside my house!  At first I started the previous sentence with "Sadly" but then I deleted the "sad" part since that game was so much fun.  I would have loved to have taken it up to Pacificon, probably together with Mr. Stern, who you so accurately spotted!  Many of the troops were his.  For better or worse I was extremely busy with work at the time and it was a bit of a stretch just to organize, prep for, and hold the game at home.  But a great game it was!  It's a bit sad when I think how little action the Hacienda and its accompanying buildings have seen over the past 7 years, but at some point I will finally expand my own collection of Maximillian Intervention Mexican forces, and start playing Camerone at least once every year, and also get in some other Mexican Intervention games.  At the end of this coming Summer our youngest child will -- hopefully, if the situation has returned close to what previously was normal -- head across the country to start college in New York City, at which point it may be possible for me to expand my collecting and do a bit more actual gaming.  At least that's the theory in my mind!

Meantime I have made a bit more progress on the 1880 Battle of Kandahar front, making the box for the last terrain board and cutting out the baseboard for the Mirza "Kotal" (mountain pass).  I've also got a few WIP photos from my friend Bob Ridenhour, who goes by Rhingyll here on LAF and other hobby forums, and who has generously volunteered to provide some troops and make a couple of buildings for the Kandahar game.

If interested I invite you to pop over to my blog for a visit by clicking the LINK, and my sincere thanks should you choose to spend your time doing so:

https://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2020/04/1880-kandahar-refight-post-3.html

Here's some teaser pics:

I hope you're staying safe and healthy and sane, and I hope to be back reporting more progress on the 140th Anniversary Kandahar project before too long.  There is a rumor that Guru, Jr. and I will conduct a play-test of the scenario -- or at least the first few turns thereof -- this weekend.  I admit similar rumors were bouncing around the past two weekends, but at this point my son and I have each completed a ton of our own respective time-sensitive "real world" work, so my confidence is high!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 09:08:30 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
Really inspiring stuff! Brilliant!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Wonderful work, Guru (you are disgustingly talented) - hoping that the rumoured meeting with Guru Jr comes off!

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
Agreed, stunning indeed! I’d not seen those Camerone pictures for many a year. CTMM really does some incredible work, very evocative!!!

The WIP pics really look great. Hopefully you and Guru Jr will be able to have a go this weekend.

Cheers and be well.

Offline CTMM

• Librarian
  Great work Mad Guru, I really enjoy seeing your games.

I'm sure your day job helps with such great game productions.

Looking forward to more .

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Thanks for showing photos of your Camerone game.
I never get tried of looking at them again.
Love the terrain, wonderful stuff. :-*
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Greetings fellow LAFers,

Hope everyone reading this and all your friends and family are staying healthy, or if you or someone you love is ill I hope and pray and send you my sincere best wishes for a fast and full recovery.

On a far less meaningful but much more fun front, I just put up a post on my blog re: making Ayub Khan's command tent for the main Afghan Army camp, which is a somewhat significant terrain piece for the game.  It turns out okay.  Not great but not bad either, and definitely more appropriate than any of the store-bought 28mm tents I searched through before deciding I had to make it from scratch.

I've made a good amount of other progress on the game, but there's still a f@#k-ton more to do, so I must leave those details for next time.  For now here's a LINK to my blog-post, and as always thanks advance for your time should you choose to visit:

https://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2020/05/ayubs-tent.html

...and a handful of WIP pics showing AYUB'S TENT:

THE TARGET TO RECREATE IN MINIATURE:

...Stay healthy my friends!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 04:13:31 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Madness well applied, Guru. 

To add to your options for future endeavors, perhaps using plain white tissue paper soaked in diluted glue might have given the result you wanted - though it can be a minor challenge to work with depending on the desired result.

However, I rather like the result.  I would never have thought to use such ladies garments but now I have some ideas.

But the real question is: does the lady of the house know what you did?!  :o lol

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Thank you, FifteensAway!  Thereby hangs a bit of a tale, my fine NorCal amigo.  I didn't get the advice re: women's nylon panythose style knee socks until after the COVID-19 lockdown had begun.  For better or worse this meant I didn't have the chance to visit a department store or women's speciality store to buy some, so... I asked my wife.  She didn't have any but I am a lucky man as she did not hesitate, after chuckling, to put the word out to her friends, one of whom came through for me.  If that hadn't worked I probably would have tried to order them online.

Re: tissue paper soaked in white glue, that's similar to the paper towels also drenched in white glue which I mentioned.  I've used that method for tarps, blankets, awnings, etc.  I finished Ayub's tent a while ago but being a bit disappointed with my efforts and the arguably ridiculous amount of time and effort I'd spent on it, I kind of shunted it aside to focus on bigger and more important terrain pieces, figures, and play-testing for the Kandahar game.  Now after finally posting about the tent I feel more copacetic with how it turned out.  I may still go back to it and try to smooth out its texture, maybe with some watered-down filler.  I got that suggestion from my good buddy Sgt. Baumal, and I think it would work.  The only potential problem I see is losing some or all of the subtle surface detail like the tent-pole lines, but if that happens I could try to paint them back in.  For now I'm happy with it as-is!  I'm also almost done with the hard part of making the Murcha Kotal -- which was very challenging.  Once that's done I can move on to adding ground cover and then painting both Kotals and the 10'x2' of terrain boards that still need to be finished.  It's a lot but I'm enjoying getting it done and hope to finish in time.