Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:11:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mad Guru's Kandahar Game post #11 - Sept 6th: THRILL-PACKED CONCLUSION...  (Read 11578 times)

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Well done, love it.
Great thinking "out of the box."
You know what they say,
"Behind every man is a great woman." :)
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Great stuff as ever.  Every post is a treat.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Wonderful project and a great idea with those tents.  :-* :-*

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Superbly detailed stuff as usual MG  :-* :-* :-*

Offline ragbones

• Scientist
Ayub Khan’s tent looks terrific!
Hail to the King, baby.

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
I love the attention to detail in this and other projects, Mad Guru I am in awe of the table......and that's before its seen a dice rolled in the game.
Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Greetings fellow Corona Era Gamers. Hope you and your loved ones are all doing well, staying healthy and whole, and mostly sane. And if you are a health care professional still slogging it out in the trenches of this pandemic, thank you and Godspeed, and I hope and pray you stay safe.

Meanwhile on the mundane side of life, I'm happy to report Ive been making good headway since my Ayub's Tent post, on several aspects of the upcoming 1880 Battle of Kandahar game:

1. Kotal-i-Murcha AKA: Marza Kotal, which sits at the far North-Eastern narrow table end. It was a job and a half to build but I'm done with the hard part, going from this:

...to this:

2. Lt. Hector MacLaine, RHA, as Afghan prisoner. I converted this special character figure using parts of 3 Wargames Foundry figures, and a talented painter was kind enough to paint him for me:

3. Saving the best for last, Bob Ridenhour, known on hobby forums as Rhingyll, sent me pics of his latest efforts in building a model of what I have dubbed the Ahmed Khan Shrine, located at the foot of the Baba Wali Kotal.

Here's a pic of the real thing taken soon after the battle in early September 1880:

…and here's Bob's latest WIP pic:

I won't hesitate to say this last pic from Bob kind of took my mini breath away. His model is really coming together now and I can't wait to see the final result, first on his work-bench and then when it arrives (maybe in person or -- sigh -- if need be via the mail) set down in place on the table.

If you'd like to see more pics of all this stuff and hear about some other Kandahar game related stuff, please stop by to visit this latest post over on my MaiwandDay blog by clicking on the handy LINK below, and thanks in advance for your time should you choose to do so!

https://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2020/05/more-kandahar-game-progress-post-5.html

Keep on keeping on and I hope to be back before too long with an update on further progress.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 04:17:18 AM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Mad Guru's Kandahar Game Prep #5- May 27th UPDATE- MARZA KOTAL, Etc.
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2020, 08:22:20 AM »
 :-* :-* :-* And  :-* :-* :-*

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Mad Guru's Kandahar Game Prep #5- May 27th UPDATE- MARZA KOTAL, Etc.
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2020, 02:02:34 PM »
Your level of dedication to a project is inspiring.  A bit worrisome maybe - but inspiring.   ;)

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Lol -- FifteensAway, I can't in good conscience disagree.  And so -- no surprise -- I'm back with UPDATE #6.

I hope everyone seeing this and all their loved ones are safe and healthy and doing well.  I started this project 3 months ago, the day before the state of California, where I live, issued its shelter-at-home/shutdown order.  Here in Los Angeles some things have gotten better since then, others worse.  My family and I attended our first ever drive-thru high school graduation for my youngest child, which was a bit surreal but still a lot of fun, and a thousand times better than no graduation at all.

This is a big update, including completion of both the Baba Wali and Mirza/Marza Kotals, getting a unit painted as the 23rd Sikh Pioneers, and -- most exciting for me -- finding a way to disguise the 3 gaps in the big ridge-line that runs down the center of the table.  Those gaps were there because I made the ridge-line by arranging 5 pre-existing hills in a line.

If you'd like to read more about the process and see a ton of WIP photos, I invite you to visit my blog by clicking the LINK below, and thanks for your time if you choose to do so:

https://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2020/06/new-map-kotals-complete-23rd-sikhs.html

Meantime, here's a few pics for your enjoyment, and to possibly entice you into clicking the link and making a visit.  I hope to be back soon with another update to show the 3 finished "connector" pieces.  Until then, I hope you stay healthy and safe and sound -- and find time to paint some figures and/or build some terrain and maybe even squeeze in a game or two.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 01:25:19 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline OB

• Mastermind
A fine body of men there.

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Excellent stuff! A silly and small detail for me to pick up on, but my favourite things are those officer and NCO turbans. The yellow and red on that headgear is really striking. Love that colour scheme. 

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Quite naturally, the beautiful additions will assist the 'game of games' that is your target. 

But, when that is in the rear view mirror, you can also use the ridge line to host a 'chase' game of some sort that starts in one of the passes and works its way all the way around the ridge until arriving back at the start point - or maybe even heads out for a second lap!  Was there ever a gun-toting road rally?  Or maybe get yourself a Stutz-Bearcat and some pre-World War One Mexican and German troops and whatever else you fancy from the old Bearcats! television show.  Yeah, I am that old!  Now that I think about it, that might have been the first "Pulp" television show post 'serial' era. 

Again, nice work and hope it all comes together to its best possible fruition.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Excellent stuff! A silly and small detail for me to pick up on, but my favourite things are those officer and NCO turbans. The yellow and red on that headgear is really striking. Love that colour scheme.

Funny, I was about to say the very same thing.  :-*

Fab work MG. Looks like things are really coming together- how far to go now?

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
MG, I love the conversion work and the awesome paint jobs on the 23rd Sikh Pioneers!