Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:20:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686447
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mad Guru's Kandahar Game post #11 - Sept 6th: THRILL-PACKED CONCLUSION...  (Read 11568 times)

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Not silly at all, Plynkes!  After my friend Frank painted them for me, I came THIIIIIISSSS close to repainting to turn the red into brown, which is what it was supposed to be, as per historical accuracy.  But then... despite being a stickler for historical accuracy... I just couldn't do it.  They looked too good as-is.  Frank thought the red and yellow would look better.  I still haven't spray-sealed them with dullcote, so maybe the button-counter in me will win out in the end.  But seems unlikely.  After all, Darrell and Sgt. Guinness (aka: JBaumal) both agree with you.

@FifteensAway: Interesting scenario idea -- kind of a wilderness chariot race?  I remember reading a scenario long ago in either WI or MW for a post-Maiwand retreat scenario, with a handful of survivors trying to make it back to Kandahar alive.  Your potential game sounds a bit similar.  Funny you mentioned the Mexican Revolution setting, as that's an obscure period I've long considered wading into, and I do have a small pile of unpainted troops -- including a Mexican Army command car -- stashed away in some dark corner of my hobby storage closet.  When my son saw the recently finished line of rocky hills, he suggested we use it as "The Wall" in a Game Of Thrones... game.  We used to play a lot of 14th and 15th Century Medievals, albeit of the purely historical variety, and I still have all those figures, stashed in the not-so-dark part of the closet, so maybe we'll get around to that some time, though I guess we'd have to paint up a bunch of Medieval Ice Zombies for it to really work.  For now I'll try to stay focused on the game that brought me to this dance, be it referred to as BABA WALI or KANDAHAR!

Speaking of which, since this latest update I managed to finish painting the 3 CONNECTORS, so I'm back with... 3 more pics:

@Atheling: RE: "how far to go now?" thanks for asking!  Not that close but not far either.  I have a bunch of things left to finish but only one really big ticket item: glue pebbles and sand onto 3 unfinished terrain boards totaling 10'x2' and then give them all 3 coats of paint.  It will be time-consuming but I still have more than a month before game day arrives.  The sooner I finish those boards the more time I'll have for more play-testing, so hopefully it won't drag out for too long.  In the meantime I'm expecting to receive the Ahmed Khan Shrine in the mail from my friend Bob in the near future, at which time I may well be back with some pics of it set up for the first time where it goes on the table. 
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
I am out of words to describe the feeling and the excitement on seeing this awesome terrain... the river, the rocky hills, the fantastic fields ... :o  wonderful. I am looking forward for a battle report now... :-*

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Simply extraordinary work, Guru!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Wow!  :o It looks nothing short of amazing already MG  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
Incredible MG, your an inspiration!

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Jeff, Atheling, Arundel and miltiades,

Thanks!  You guys are all too kind, and I very much appreciate the compliments.  So much so, I raced back here to post a few pics of the newly-arrived Ahmed Khan Shrine, scratch built by Bob Ridenhour.  I was starting to worry if it had met with some problem en route from Kansas to Los Angeles, since it was supposed to arrive a few days ago, but then just before sundown a rumbling brown UPS truck pulled up while I was out in the front yard and I knew all was well -- at least on the Battle of Kandahar game prep front.  Here's a few hastily arranged pics, in imitation of the photo taken by Benjamin Simpson some time after the battle, as seen here:

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
Awesome!!!!! Great job Bob, and beautiful table MG!

Offline CTMM

• Librarian
 Everything looks amazing Mad Guru.
You must be in show business.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Brilliant and inspiring  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Thanks again you guys!

Bob -- genius that he is -- asked for a B&W version, which I took and sent him, and share with you all now:

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Splendid additions  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline OB

• Mastermind
I like the shrine-a great piece of modelling.

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
Terrific stuff :-* :-* :-*

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Thanks very much for the generous comments, guys!

Hello out there in Hobby-Land,

Hope everyone reading this is staying healthy and safe, sound and sane.  I'm keeping busy on the hobby front, just put up a new post on my blog with more details on terrain progress for my 140th Anniversary Battle of Kandahar refight.  If interested, please feel free to CLICK on the link below:

https://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2020/07/kandahar-game-post-7-connectors-done.html

Meanwhile here are a few of the WIP pics:

« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 07:26:14 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
fantastic stuff