Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:37:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690722
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bhowelpore, March 1857  (Read 1817 times)

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
Bhowelpore, March 1857
« on: April 04, 2020, 10:11:21 AM »
Back in early May, 1857, rumours began to reach the British outpost at Bhowelpore of mutiny in the ranks of the Indian troops.  OiC Major Rupert Startling-Grope sprang into action from his charpoy and immediately set about organising a defence of the crucial buildings - to wit, the magazine (that's the tall octagonal building with the 'No Smoking' sign):

and the Colonel’s House  - the ladies, Gawd bless ‘em

To assist his endeavours he had the services of Lt Hugh Jarce and two valiant NCO’s Sgt. Dagenham and Sgt. ‘Plum’ Duff, stout fellows who, despite their lack of a decent education, would no doubt muddle through.

Meanwhile, the infamous Khazi of Khalabar, keen to shake off the imperial yoke, had seduced the the men of the 95th Bombay with promises of free dhal and with his henchmen Mahatmha Khote and Stinghi, plus the aid of Bungdit Din, who had whipped up the Badmashes of the Bazaar planned to seize the magazine for his own purposes and advanced rapidly on the town.

So rapidly in fact that they advanced to within short range of the improvised defences before the imperial pig dogs could react.  Desultory fire was exchanged but the Khazi had spotted a flaw in the defences - the hospital yard was undefended!

Sgt ‘Plum’ Duff and his improvised civilian company did splendid work with their first two volleys, causing a Sepoy rabble to withdraw, shocking everyone who saw it.

However a well-ordered group of sepoys on the left controlled their fire and delivered a devastating volley into Sgt. Dagenham’s unlucky boys, who lost half their group despite their sturdy barricade. ‘Dags’ rallied his men and gave as good as he got, but both opposing units are now unloaded.

On the right, Lt Jarce joins the fight but with a only marginally effective first volley

A group of Badmashes moved up to replace the quivering sepoy rabble in an attack on ‘Plum’s’ civvies but are repulsed in double-quick time.

Meanwhile the devious Khazi directed his men through the hospital - to what end?

While his opposite number, the good Major Startling-Grope has been waiting patiently, coolly observing the fight at the barricades, the surreptitious Bungdit Din has crept through the bazaar with a crowd of ruffians and emerges to threaten the flank.

The Major remains fixated on the barricade battle but the NCO (who’s name history has neglected) in charge of the left flank group  of the Duke of Cornwall’s infantry seizes the initiative and wheels his men to face the threat, presents his muskets and delivers fire into the threat.

The Khazi has whipped up his Sepoys on the left flank to charge home and despite a valiant defence Sgt ‘Dags’ and his boys are driven back from the barricades.

Casualties are high on both sides.

Over by the magazine, Startling-Grope has wheeled his men but a group of badmashes launches a furious attack on the Cornwall boys. After a very fierce fight, both sides retire back to draw breath.  And with that breathing space Startling-Grope’s force deliver beautifully controlled volleys into the badmashes, driving one group back and forcing another off the table. They don’t like it up them, by God!  The luckless Bungdit Din switches groups but no sooner does he than that group is forced to withdraw, paying no attention to his furious oaths.

Back at the barricade, Mhatma Khote finally organises his men to launch a bayonet charge on Hugh Jarce’s men while their Lieutenant is off helping to restore order in the civilians. However the men have no need of their officer to send this mutinous bunch packing and Khote is lucky to escape with his life.  He attempts to rally his men but they ignore his imprecations and retire with alacrity.

Having had two of his groups forced back by mere civillians, the man they are now calling Stinghi the Useless finally leads a charge himself against the barricades. Casualties are high on both sides and only the gallant ‘Plum’ Duff and the redoubtable Miss Havisham are left, reluctantly withdrawing along the hospital walls as the gallant Lt Jarce manages to be between both groups and unable to influence anything. He always was a fearful fag.

And speaking of the hospital, the group of Sepoy Rabble sent through it by the Khazi have finally emerged, their progress unhindered by any enemy activity but possible delayed by the easy availability of powerful medicinal stimulants and the chance possession of a variety of shiny trifles.  There emergence does not bode well for the Duke of Cornwall’s own.

Fortunately there Major appears to have woken up and orders an immediate about face and a violent discharge. A brisk exchange of lead follows in which the mutineers hold their own.

Stinghi the Useless pushes his greatly depleted group forward in an attempt to catch Hugh Jarce in his flank but they lack the impetus to do so and his other group are reluctant to advance forward in the face of remarkably un-ladylike language from Miss Havisham and a well-aimed musket ball sends them packing.

Meanwhile the Khazi, inflamed by the prospect of white women nearby, urges his men, despite their losses in storming the barricade,  forward and face off Dag’s boys in what looks like a firing squad.

But instead of shooting, the Khazi flings his men into a bout of fisticuffs and comes off considerably worse, losing 2 men and suffering a debilitating wound himself.  Having seized the Khazi, to the great relief of all, and with his forces in considerable disorder, the British declare a victory and the merry band of hospital looters slip away in the general celebration!

A fairly old project, one of my first loves that hasn’t seen the light of day for a few years - and still comes with a lot of bare metal to be done   Buildings scratched up by my mate Chris and on quite a long term loan, figures (Perrys) painted by me apart from two professionally painted by Orctrader, rules by Sharp Practice and ideally suited to solo play.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Anderson Collection

• Mad Scientist
    • The Anderson Collection
Re: Bhowelpore, March 1857
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 10:33:37 AM »
Great stuff👍

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 10:50:23 AM »
Great stuff love the imagination used in the names and the story telling

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 10:55:32 AM »
Great battle report!  Super entertaining and fun.  Thanks for posting!  Hope you get to play a follow-up game and we get to see and hear a follow-up chapter of the Irritable Bhowelpore Mutiny Syndrome.
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 11:14:45 AM »
A splendid outing  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 11:35:18 AM »
Marvellous stuff :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 11:44:17 AM »
 Brilliant!
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 12:26:14 PM »
Brilliant!!! Stirring stuff and further inspiration for me to continue with my own project (although I'm using TMWBBK for mine.) I love the names you chose! Gives it a proper Carry On feel.
Love the buildings too, by the way.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 01:02:40 PM »
Great pictures and report. A lovely looking game.

Major Rupert Startling-Grope

Love this name, I may have to borrow it for one of my games.   lol

Miss Havisham

I assume this takes place before she met the cad and swindler, Compeyson?

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 01:54:46 PM »
Thanks chaps, glad you liked the little adventure.  Sharp Practice is very useful for driving a story line.

Great stuff love the imagination used in the names and the story telling
Believe me, there is no imagination, it’s all looted property.

Hope you get to play a follow-up game and we get to see and hear a follow-up chapter of the Irritable Bhowelpore Mutiny Syndrome.
It is quite possible more tales from the Raj will follow  ;)

Love this name, I may have to borrow it for one of my games.   lol
Borrow away, I’m quite sure I ‘borrowed’ it from somewhere  :o

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 02:43:43 PM »
Wonderful stuff.  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 09:21:13 PM »
Nice one LT. Great looking game, and a nice storyline.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 10:20:32 PM »
Wow!

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 06:10:15 AM »
Always regretted not starting an Indian Mutiny collection.Now I know why.Great layout.
Mark

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 12:48:11 PM »
Great collection  8)