Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:29:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Using Spraycans and Numbers of Minis per Can  (Read 806 times)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Using Spraycans and Numbers of Minis per Can
« on: April 04, 2020, 03:54:01 PM »
Have some questions regarding spraying miniatures using 400ml spraycans.

1) Do you undercoat your mini black/white before spraypainting color?
2) On average how many 28mm foot soldiers can you spray with one can?

Thanks!
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
Re: Using Spraycans and Numbers of Minis per Can
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 04:43:30 PM »
1) For the most part I spray White but sometimes other colours where it will be time/work saving. Matt primer from automobile spares shops too, none of this wargames company branded price hiked malarkey.

2) Depends on how you do it and also scale obviously.  I often spray just a couple or even single miniatures but have done dozens and dozens all at once. I guess a good few hundred 28mm.

Having used rattle cans to prime for nigh on forty years I don't think I am likely to change now
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 05:25:43 PM »
1) Depending on what the overall finish is going to be (brighter or more subdued), I use either white or medium grey spray primers for the figures.

2) I usually always prime 20-30 figures at once. I don't keep exact scores, but I would estimate I'd get at least 8-10 sets out of a can, so between 150 and 300 figures. Mind that I only do a single spray primer coat and then, after it's dried thoroughly, cover that with a brush primer coat in a tone most suitable for the desired finish.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 07:30:03 PM »
For most figures I use white spray undercoat and have done for many years.  I have used a brown undercoat on some animals.

This week of isolation I sprayed about 250 figures of various sizes in batches all 28mm infantry, cavalry, fantasy creatures etc.  The can of primer is not finished and by weight is about 60% used.

The spray I use is Plastikote 400ml twist top spray.  It covers well. 

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 12:26:15 PM »
I spray grey primer on bare metal but then undercoat by hand in black acrylic.
If I spray prime one or two baking trays worth of figures all at once that's 50 -100 figures.  So I tend to save figures up to fill a baking tray. and prime stuff once a week.
My daughter buys me a large can of Halfords grey primer every year for Christmas and it lasts a whole year.
 I have tried spray undercoating before as well but I always ended up needing to go over it by hand so I don't bother any more. 
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 03:27:25 AM »
Depending on the project I generally prime with a rattle can or air brush then paint my main colors. Depending on the uniform I might airbrush on a base coat first but that is rare so far.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 08:11:30 PM »
Thanks for all the useful info much appreciated and apologies for the lenghty delay. Looks like I get a small amount of minis painted per can but might be overdoing their basecoat as they get a bit glossy, will experiment a bit more think I could do around 70 minis which is a bit low considering the cost of a spraycan. Spraypainting dark brown as undercoat and basecoat in one go as I want to create a rather large Mordor army and that's quite some precious hobby time spared.