Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:48:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Red Rose - The coldness of the King  (Read 10803 times)

Offline archiduque

• Mad Scientist
Re: The Red Rose - WotR Minor Nobles
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2021, 02:34:21 PM »
Excellent stuff!! :-*

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: The Red Rose - WotR Minor Nobles
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2021, 03:28:39 PM »
Beautiful collection!  :-*

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Red Rose - WotR Terrain Pieces
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2021, 11:39:14 AM »
Excellent stuff!! :-*

Beautiful collection!  :-*

Thank you both.

I realised that as the forces had started to take shape, I didn't have any real WotR terrain to fight over other than some very generic hedges etc, so with a little inspiration from other threads -notably Charlie and Painterman - I have started to produce some. These are two of the Hudson and Allen foam buildings built into a little farmhouse with barn.

I have a few more on the workbench, which will follow in due course.

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2021, 12:39:20 PM »
Jolly Nice - those Hudson and Allen buildings are great little models and you've tide them together perfectly
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2021, 12:55:46 PM »
they look great

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2021, 02:16:01 PM »
Gorgeous! Well done!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2021, 03:12:37 PM »
Beautifully executed and very evocative  :-*

May I ask, what did you use as a base please? Tt looks quite thin, which is a good thing and I have been searching for something thin that would not warp for a while now ???

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2021, 04:49:12 PM »
Jolly Nice - those Hudson and Allen buildings are great little models and you've tide them together perfectly

they look great

Gorgeous! Well done!

Beautifully executed and very evocative  :-*

May I ask, what did you use as a base please? Tt looks quite thin, which is a good thing and I have been searching for something thin that would not warp for a while now ???

Thanks for the kind thoughts chaps.

Darren, the base is simply 3mm MDF.  I don't find that it warps at all and I use it on all my terrain peices.  It takes paint and PVA well and I can carve the edges so that it doesn't sit proud of the table or leave if square if I expect two pieces to but up against each other.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2021, 05:30:54 PM »
Awesome work! I'm glad mine inspired you, yours look much better I think! Perhaps its the addition of the pigs that does it?

I really want to order some more of these buildings myself sometime. Do you have many more of them in the queue?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2021, 06:38:01 PM »

Thanks for the kind thoughts chaps.

Darren, the base is simply 3mm MDF.  I don't find that it warps at all and I use it on all my terrain peices.  It takes paint and PVA well and I can carve the edges so that it doesn't sit proud of the table or leave if square if I expect two pieces to but up against each other.

Thanks.  8) I had heard in WSS that some people were using book board, the sort of stuff they use to bind hardback books.

I'd rather go with mdf as it has to be stronger.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2021, 07:05:54 PM »
Awesome work! I'm glad mine inspired you, yours look much better I think! Perhaps its the addition of the pigs that does it?

I really want to order some more of these buildings myself sometime. Do you have many more of them in the queue?

Thanks for the kind words and the inspiration. I doubt that mine is better than yours, it must simply be the pigs.  :D :D

I have three more prepared.  The next one is going to be a tithe barn and then another small farm complex.  However I am waiting for some more scatter terrain such as sacks, cornsheafs etc for the tithe barn so it might be that the second farmhouse gets to be finished first.

I do want to order some more but I had heard of a LAF member who was going to be an UK stockist but I am waiting for him to reply to my pm.

Thanks.  8) I had heard in WSS that some people were using book board, the sort of stuff they use to bind hardback books.

I'd rather go with mdf as it has to be stronger.

Yes I had read the same article.  I thought of trying some but honestly when you know something works, why tempt fate and use something that is unproven.  I'd hate to have to try and remove the building from its base - difficult without damaging it.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2021, 07:13:10 PM »
I do want to order some more but I had heard of a LAF member who was going to be an UK stockist but I am waiting for him to reply to my pm.

Yes I remember hearing that a few years back, but nothing ever came of it that I'm aware of. I'm probably going to hold off buying and making any more terrain before a much-anticipated house move happens (hopefully someday soon).

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2021, 07:33:40 PM »

Yes I had read the same article.  I thought of trying some but honestly when you know something works, why tempt fate and use something that is unproven.  I'd hate to have to try and remove the building from its base - difficult without damaging it.

I'm 100% with you on that.

Why take the risk, or rather, tempt fate?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2021, 01:56:36 PM »
I do like the H&A buildings. Those have turned out beautifully Gary. It’s a shame they’re so hard to get hold of this side of the Atlantic, without getting clobbered for customs and import duties. They’re also a little on the diminutive side compared with many modern ‘large 28mm’ figures, although seem a good match with the Perry ranges.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2021, 03:05:47 PM »
I do like the H&A buildings. Those have turned out beautifully Gary. It’s a shame they’re so hard to get hold of this side of the Atlantic, without getting clobbered for customs and import duties. They’re also a little on the diminutive side compared with many modern ‘large 28mm’ figures, although seem a good match with the Perry ranges.

I can see how the size would be a problem in a skirmish game, of which you certainly excel Richard. I think it's the opposite problem we have  for larger battles, where you want high quality buildings with a smaller "footprint".