Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:33:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 762
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A light rpg ruleset for zombies apocalypse ?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
A light rpg ruleset for zombies apocalypse ?
« on: April 06, 2020, 07:11:12 PM »
Hi,

Since the covid19 lockdown, we (a group of french gamers) started to think about online rpg gaming (we already played warhammer 4th edition, using let'sroll and google hangout).

Now I would like to start a zombie (and maybe a bit of mutants) rpg session/campaign, but I'm struggling to find an easy to play/learn ruleset.

Maybe you LAFers can help us ?

thank you a lot

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Re: A light rpg ruleset for zombies apocalypse ?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 07:36:01 PM »
The best of the light RPGs, is Savage Worlds, IMO. There are a ton of adventures, campaigns, and settings for the system across a multitude of publishers. A great, zombie scenario to get your feet wet with the system is Zombie Run.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/18043/Savage-Tales-6-Zombie-Run

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2020, 08:04:00 PM »
Have you looked at the Powered by the Apocalypse sort of game? Dungeon World is the most prominent example (and there's a free, simplified 'hack' called World of Dungeons), but there are loads of others. There's quite a bit of jargon associated with them, but they boil down to a very simple system of bonuses (+1, +2, etc.) and success rolls on 2d6: 1-6 is a failure, 7-9 is a partial success (with some negative consequence) and 10-12 is a complete success. Dungeon World and World of Dungeons have traditional hit points too.

You can get the first edition of the original, Apocalypse World, free here. And because it's a post-apocalypse game, it might work very well for zombies.

You might have to cut through the jargon a bit to get to the gist of the rules. There's a lot of talk of "moves", which are basically just labels for certain kinds of actions. So, if you try to beat someone up or kill a zombie in Apocalypse World, it would be the Go Aggro move, which has simple rules governing its consequences. But at heart, it's a really simple game that's designed to foster creativity in story-telling. In that sense, it's very much in the tradition of Tunnels and Trolls, where what looked like a grindingly boring dice-pool combat system was actually designed to make players come up with unconventional and exciting ruses.

So in that sense, the jargon slightly obscures a very robust and actually very old-school approach to roleplaying.

In my recent experience, the PbtA rules (or Tunnels and Trolls!) work really well for long-distance games because players end up focusing on describing their actions and coming up with interesting stunts rather than digging into the game mechanics. So you get a lot more vivid description and a lot less turgid dice-rolling. And the GM prep can be as limited or detailed as you like.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 08:38:29 PM »
both of the above suggestions are good.

Savage worlds is close to a miniature wargame and good if you plan on a lot of shooting, tracking location and range etc, zombies/mutants with fast roleplaying in between, PbtA is great for story heavier games played in the minds eye, much much looser location and ranges etc.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2020, 10:21:25 PM »
End of the World Zombie Apocalypse is a rules light rpg. It uses a simple d6 based mechanic. It's thing is that the group kind of creates/plays themselves with whatever scenario you are playing starting at the time you sit down to play a role playing game. It includes several different zombie type of scenarios. They range from traditional dead rising up to parasites. I have read it, but I honestly have not played it yet. There are a total of four different books. Each covering a specific end of the world trope. There is zombies, aliens, gods, and  robots. Choose your poison wisely.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 01:16:38 AM »
Most of my gaming group just played a Zombie shooter using Savage Worlds via a discord server last weekend.  I had a bit more to keep track of in my head regarding players and Z's positions than you would using miniatures but overall it was fairly quick.   
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 09:23:53 AM »
thank you all the answers, I'll take a look ;)

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 12:41:44 PM »
oh, and if you want something a bit more novel, there is red markets, which focusus on the comunities that survive the apocalypse and the people that travel between them in order to keep a viable market going.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 04:38:10 AM »
For something very, very light:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/the-end-of-the-world/products/zombie-apocalypse/

There are some good suggestions above but they all seem pretty heavy to me.

EDIT: ah, spect-spidey already mentioned this one
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 04:39:46 AM by Manchu »

Offline Craig Oxbrow

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 10:04:19 PM »
The most notable zombie apocalypse is All Flesh Must Be Eaten which has medium-light rules, customisable zombies with a variety of examples, and sourcebooks for crossing over with various genres and for running campaigns as well as the more traditional one-shots that usually end with everybody dead. It has a free introductory quickstart as well.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 01:56:19 PM »
Good call Craig, not sure where my "All Flesh Must Be Eaten" has got to, probably having a fight in a box somewhere with its Buffy siblings.

There is also No more Room In Hell by Iron Ivan Games.