Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:19:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Help with painting Ancient Cavalry please  (Read 877 times)

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
Help with painting Ancient Cavalry please
« on: April 14, 2020, 07:12:32 AM »
A very good morning one and all. I hope everyone is safe and well.
I've recently started a project for smallish warbands and units of Ancients mainly Romans, Britons, Gauls and Germanic all in plastic. It's all got a bit bigger than intended  lol so I've included cavalry units. I prefer to paint Riders and mounts separately and was hoping for some suggestions for holding the riders while painting them. A while back for seated world war two crew figures I drilled them out and put them on wire with a dab of superglue. When they were done just twisting them off. Would this work with plastic or would the bond be too strong for removal? Or I'm open to any and all suggestions. Many thanks in advance
JB

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Help with painting Ancient Cavalry please
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 09:08:39 AM »
Drill a hole in the model through its backside and mount the model on a small cocktail stick stuck in a cork.  Use a little pva and the stick will come free when you have finished.  Alternatively use epoxy and just cut it off flush once you've finished, so that the model sits nicely on the horse.

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 06:23:45 PM »
Never thought of using PVA I was too focused on superglue. Bit of forward planning and we're off so thanks for that Hu.

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 02:02:16 AM »
I am using your method for metal but on plastic figures with no problems to date...am using fine gauge florists wire with a tiny spot of superglue into a small hole drilled into the riders backside....when done am pulling the wire out easily with a small pair of pliers...good luck with your project
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 05:03:55 PM »
I don't even bother gluing them! Just make sure it's  a snug fit. It's easy with plastic to drill a deep hole so the wire (I use offcuts from steel pikes) goes deep and stays nice and stable.

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 08:05:45 PM »
Many thanks guys very much appreciated. I use paper clips bent into a configuration of two feet and an upright. I drill a hole through a bottle top (usually a milk container as the top is about 40mm diameter  giving a wider base) and thread the upright through and securing with hot glue. As I've got quite a few of these I can carry on using them. :)