Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:22:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690979
  • Total Topics: 118361
  • Online Today: 706
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's ECW resurrection. P.43. Cuirassiers ride!  (Read 70023 times)

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Captain Blood's ECW resurrection... P.27 Gallivant's orange-tawny pike
« Reply #405 on: August 22, 2020, 08:49:48 PM »
Loving the photos - especially the scenic shots  :-*
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #406 on: August 22, 2020, 09:44:18 PM »
Wonderful work!!!!! :o
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #407 on: August 22, 2020, 10:36:09 PM »
Beautiful setup and figures

8)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #408 on: August 22, 2020, 11:40:48 PM »
the bee's knees. Sumptuous.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #409 on: August 23, 2020, 05:32:38 PM »
Thanks fellas :)

Cracking job Richard :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Liking the bridge as well, great model

Cheers Colin. It's the Forgeworld timber bridge, long OOP, that I bought from Dean about 10 years ago! It sat in its box for a decade, until I finally thought a few months ago that it would make a good centrepiece for an ECW battlefield - and indeed several others for that matter. So there it is, done, painted, and mounted on its own section of river - at last lol

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #410 on: August 23, 2020, 06:49:08 PM »
Simply lovely!

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #411 on: August 23, 2020, 07:07:52 PM »
You're a first class swine Richard, just as I try and wean myself off the ECW you put more of these lush photos on here. Damm you. 😂😂😂😂😂😂
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #412 on: August 24, 2020, 02:27:20 PM »
Quit inspiring me to switch projects!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #413 on: August 24, 2020, 03:51:40 PM »
Zoiks!!!  :o :o :o

That is one amazing set up Richard  8)

I dare say it's right up there with some of the very fine display games one sees at Salute and Partizan. And it's your home set up!!  :'(

Offline Armstrong47

• Scientist
« Reply #414 on: August 25, 2020, 11:00:09 AM »
Absolutely fantastic thread. Brilliant painting and scenics.
Really inspiring me to get back into my first wargaming love ECW.
I've bought a few packs of the Empress figures and love the detail and crispness of the casting,and their equipment/artillery packs are superb.
Does anyone have any opinions on how they compare with Renegade minis,and if Paul from Empress is reading,are there any plans to start producing Scots Covenanters and Highlanders/Irish any time soon?

Thanks,
Andy
"We've got 'em now,boys!!"
G A Custer,Sunday afternoon 25th June 1876

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #415 on: August 25, 2020, 11:30:45 AM »
Absolutely fantastic thread. Brilliant painting and scenics.
Really inspiring me to get back into my first wargaming love ECW.
I've bought a few packs of the Empress figures and love the detail and crispness of the casting,and their equipment/artillery packs are superb.
Does anyone have any opinions on how they compare with Renegade minis,and if Paul from Empress is reading,are there any plans to start producing Scots Covenanters and Highlanders/Irish any time soon?

Thanks,
Andy

Thanks Andy. Glad you like them :)
ECW was my first wargaming love too. First metal wargames figures I ever bought were three Hinchliffe ECW musketeers, an officer and a drummer, circa 1974! I have built and sold at least two large ECW collections in the intervening decades (one in 15mm). This is my third! (And I'm keeping it!)

Size wise, the Empress ECW figures are around the same height as the Renegade / Bicorne ECW ranges, although slimmer in stature. The style is rather different however. The posing of the Empress figures is a little more static, and the detail in the style of sculpting is quite shallow. Personally I found them difficult to get on with, and with a quite different look to my existing Renegade and Bicorne figures. But some people are less fussy than me about such things. Which is fair enough.

Offline Armstrong47

• Scientist
« Reply #416 on: August 25, 2020, 02:46:18 PM »
Thanks Andy. Glad you like them :)
ECW was my first wargaming love too. First metal wargames figures I ever bought were three Hinchliffe ECW musketeers, an officer and a drummer, circa 1974! I have built and sold at least two large ECW collections in the intervening decades (one in 15mm). This is my third! (And I'm keeping it!)

Size wise, the Empress ECW figures are around the same height as the Renegade / Bicorne ECW ranges, although slimmer in stature. The style is rather different however. The posing of the Empress figures is a little more static, and the detail in the style of sculpting is quite shallow. Personally I found them difficult to get on with, and with a quite different look to my existing Renegade and Bicorne figures. But some people are less fussy than me about such things. Which is fair enough.

My first ECW armies were 15mm Peter Laing figures. Bought and repainted depending on what armies were required over 35 years ago,in the halcyon days before I discovered girls and the only things that mattered were "playing with toy soldiers",and cricket!!
I'm going to purchase some Renegade figures,get them painted and see if I can mix them with the Empress figures.
Cheers,
Andy

Offline Armstrong47

• Scientist
« Reply #417 on: August 25, 2020, 02:53:56 PM »

My first ECW armies were 15mm Peter Laing figures. Bought and repainted depending on what armies were required over 35 years ago,in the halcyon days before I discovered girls and the only things that mattered were "playing with toy soldiers",and cricket!!
I'm going to purchase some Renegade figures,get them painted and see if I can mix them with the Empress figures.
Cheers,
And

Just as an aside my first ever 25/28mm wargames figures were Hinchcliffe
I saved up for about 6 months,in 1979, and then went to their factory shop in Meltham with my father and bought 100 Muscovite streltsy.
They cost £17,and I haven't the slightest idea what happened to them!!

Andy

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #418 on: August 25, 2020, 03:00:58 PM »
Just as an aside my first ever 25/28mm wargames figures were Hinchcliffe

My first 25mm army was Hinchcliffe Romans.

Not to derail the thread...

Damn Richard, that is a beautiful set-up of terrain and miniatures you got there!  :-*

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #419 on: August 25, 2020, 05:15:46 PM »
Thanks chaps :)

Cheers,
Andy

Ah yes, I had a Peter Laing Norman army at around the same time. They were pretty crude little figures in retrospect, but had a certain naive charm. They were also tiny as I recall. 'True' 15mm. Probably closer to what passes for 10mm - 12mm today.

You may have some difficulty getting hold of Renegade figures, Andy, since that business has gone into one of its periodic shutdowns over the last couple of years. Will they ever be back? Who knows. It's not the first time they have suspended trading for an extended period. A strange way of carrying on, but there you go... I guess people have other things they need to do in their lives at certain times...
There is a fairly regular supply of Renegade ECW figures flowing through eBay, including from one seller who seems to be working his way through a large stock, 16 figures at a time. He's shifted a good couple of hundred figures this way over the last few months, but the hammer prices swing about widely. I bought a couple of his lots early on at £11 or £12 each (for 16 figures). Since then, I've seen similar lots reach almost £40 :o
Rarity value now, I guess.
It may be better to buy painted lots which come up every so often, and repaint them. Sometimes, if the painting is sufficiently awful, they're not that expensive.

The Bicorne Miniatures ECW range is still very much available.
Worth checking out this thread, however, for a few words of warning on that: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=76749.30