Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:44:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Captain Blood's ECW resurrection. P.43. Cuirassiers ride!  (Read 69483 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Now that I seen the original brushwork I have to say, what a transformation Richard!  :-* :-* :-*

I'd be tempted to repaint the white 'belts' as they almost look like they've been pipe clayed.

Offline Radar

• Librarian
    • KeepYourPowderDry
Beautiful figures throughout the thread. Being firmly in the church of 15mm I am at times tempted by larger figures - I am slightly jealous of the figures available, the ability to really create individuals with character (something much harder to achieve with smaller figures). But then I bump back down to reality remembering that I have neither the talent or the patience to paint figures (I can just about get away with 15s).
 Captain Blood, I doff my cap.

(I must confess that I agree with the suggestion of repainting the white straps and belts on the reincarnated figures.)
www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk gaming the British Civil Wars in 15mm, and home of the ECW travelogue - dreadful painting, mediocre prose

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks Radar  :)

Yes, fear not lads - I have already repainted the white baldrics. The bread-bags / haversacks I can rationalise as linen or similar. But blancoed leather swordbelts on 1640s infantry has proved a bridge too far for my aesthetic antennae  lol

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Thanks Radar  :)

Yes, fear not lads - I have already repainted the white baldrics. The bread-bags / haversacks I can rationalise as linen or similar. But blancoed leather swordbelts on 1640s infantry has proved a bridge too far for my aesthetic antennae  lol

lol

Excellent decision  8)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
Yes, I think that's the right decision too, even though it means that Newcastle's Whitebelts are no more.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Not that we doubt you, but any chance of a picture with the no longer white baldrics?
Pretty please.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
I’m just rounding out the unit with 6 new figures, painted from scratch. Once they’re done in a day or two, I’ll post pics of the whole gang sporting their leather baldrics in an assortment of attractive natural colourways ;)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Ta.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Looking forward to the progress photo

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Just catching up on this. What a stunning collection, I'm truly envious.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Well I for one liked the white belts!

Very interesting to see the original ebay paint jobs. When I first saw your repaints and read what you did, I assumed they'd be unrecognisable from the originals. But you really can see how with just some clean, careful highlights they went from A to B and now fit in seamlessly with all your other work.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Very interesting to see the original ebay paint jobs. When I first saw your repaints and read what you did, I assumed they'd be unrecognisable from the originals. But you really can see how with just some clean, careful highlights they went from A to B and now fit in seamlessly with all your other work.

Thanks Charlie. Yes, they're still in their original paint schemes for the most part - just with quite a lot of additional layering on top. Still recognisable though. I think it's not a bad short-cut to getting more figures finished.

Just catching up on this. What a stunning collection, I'm truly envious.

Cheers Steve. Next time you're down this way, we might manage a game with them ;)

Looking forward to the progress photo

Thanks Colin. Just waiting for the varnish to dry, hopefully basing materials and pics tomorrow!  :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
As promised... Here's the finished unit: Boscastle's Whitecoats.

Wait. You've never heard of the Fighting Marquess of Boscastle? Shocker...
;)

I didn't want Newcastle's - too specific.
I also recall reading somewhere, aeons ago - probably completely erroneous - suggestions that the Cornish wore white coats in the ECW. So this fictitious regiment seemed a reasonable compromise.
Besides which, I like Boscastle :D

Here are the six additional figures painted from scratch - As you can see I've followed the colour scheme set by the repaints, but have added some more splashes of red to perk them up a bit...

In dangerously revealing close-up...

And here they are with the six original repaints, now with their smart new leather baldrics, forming a 12 figure pike unit.

Next up, more yellow coats...

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Re: Captain Blood's ECW resurrection... P.19 Boscastle's Whitecoats
« Reply #284 on: July 20, 2020, 06:19:50 PM »
Boscastle is an excellent choice for such a splendid array  8)