Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:21:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690791
  • Total Topics: 118350
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: British infantry uniform changes 1715 - 1756  (Read 717 times)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
British infantry uniform changes 1715 - 1756
« on: April 09, 2020, 08:28:31 AM »
Hi all, I wondered if there was a good summary of changes to the standard British line infantry uniform between 1715 and 1756 (SYW), preferably online and free  :D

I have a bunch of figures at either end of the spectrum, and wondering how far forward or back they are usable for?
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: British infantry uniform changes 1715 - 1756
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 10:34:19 AM »
Bear in mind that just because a new regulation comes into force, in say 1720,
does not mean overnight every unit complies.
I once overheard a punter ask a trader if those 15mm fig.s complied to the
uniform changes of 1742? (made up date). Trader asked if punter knew what
the regulation changes were? Reply was 'No, but I know they did change THEN'
Trader made the same point I made at the top of this page, followed by explaining
what those particular 'changes' were, ' Cuff size to be reduced from 6" to 4"'
'What difference do you honestly think that would make to these 15mm figures?'

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 12:01:17 PM »
One of the main changes is that in the early 1700s coats are worn loose, so with a long skirt at the front.

By the later period, coats were more typically turned back, showing the breaches and waistcoats

But I have seen some period line drawings of English troops in scotland around 1745 who look just like troops from 40 years earlier as due to the weather they have their coats buttoned in front, and their hats have gone very floppy.

Wargames figures tend to match more to the first two stereotypes - as has.been says uptake of changes varied, particularly by units that were further away from England.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 09:30:27 AM »
Thanks Guys, my own suspicion is that uniform changes would be more current in 'fashionable' regiments based in the UK, and that climate would affect the look. Just simple things like wearing coats in full in cold weather, black or brown gaiters rather than white etc.

I have the figures from the Flags of War Kickstarter for the '45 and wondered if the Hanoverian troops could do double duty elsewhere. Quite possibly the North American winter 1754-55 or 55-56.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 11:28:34 AM »
If stationed overseas then uniforms would follow the pattern issued when posted, made up from local cloth and limited supplies from home, mixed with new uniforms when fresh drafts of men arrived. If newly raised then the latest pattern would be followed.

There are differences in the patterns from the WAS to the SYW, but I think most gamers are quite comfortable with figures fighting in Flanders, Germany, Scotland, the Caribbean or Canada in the same uniform, in any scale.

Offline WFGamers

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 05:38:59 PM »
My understanding is that 'has.been's' punter was correct - there was a major set of regulations in 1742. I think this was actually the 1st proper set as such, before then things were looser.

In any case the big changes in these were to turnbacks and 'details' were for the 1st time regulated. So before 1742 you could wear the coat as you liked & while that could be with turnbacks it was nearly always just loose. After 1742 the coat were all supposed to have turn backs but there is a lot of evidence that this wasn't always observed, certainly for a few years after.

The other change was details like what decorations were on grenadiers hat, drummers uniforms and similar (I am going from memory here) were for the 1st time regulated. Before this time the colonel could just choose I think. This does make that much difference to the gamer because it just means you know what to paint something while earlier we had no idea.

I hope that helps