Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:14:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686446
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mick's Vietnam Book (Outstanding orders fulfilled. page 18)  (Read 38210 times)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
I think I can sand the sides but the deck is very cluttered with detail and it will be quite difficult to sand without destroying the detail.

I am wondering if I can smear on a filler (e.g. Milliput?) and scrape it smooth.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Just tell yourself it’s the pre-production wooden mock up. :D

Horses for courses but I’m buggered if I can understand why anyone purchases their ‘models’. At best they seem hit and miss but a staggering proportion seem to suffer from what’s either shift printing software, a cheapo printer, no idea how to use one or a combination of all three. Examination of other people’s prints and printed prototypes demonstrates this need not be the case.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
That looks to have been printed at 90° to the print bed (so standing up).
Why on earth you would orient it that way I have no idea.  It also looks to be done at a 0.2 layer height, which is far too thick for vehicle prints at this scale imo.

It's a shame they don't sell stl's, it'd be much easier to get what you want printed at a better quality.

The only thing I would suggest is that there's a growing number of sellers on ebay who have licenses for the Bergman stl files (which the lvtp looks like) and seem to be much better quality.
I've corresponded with a seller called chcha_5648 who has licence for all those files and is very reasonably priced.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
@ Cypher226

From the underside of the model, I think it was printed horizontal as the base is completely flat like it was against the bed.

I think the material is ABS because they recommend to use plastic glue (e.g. Revell Contacta).

I do think that you are right about the 0.2 mm layer height.

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
That just makes that strange planking effect all the more bizarre!  o_o

No idea what they're doing.  I can print stuff much more smoothly than that.  Tempted to try slicing the bottom off the lvtp and see how the Bergman file prints myself.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
OK - I asked a question on Facebook and was advised to buy Mr Surfacer 500 as a paint on filler.
Here is the 3D printer waterline LVTP-5 after a lot of filling and sanding.
Starting to look OK but definitely not my favourite type of modelling.

This still needs more work including more Mr Surfacer 500 filling, more sanding and then finishing the paint and weathering.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 07:32:25 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
How did you apply the Mr Surfacer. If you thinned it down what did you use for thinning? I have a similar 3D printed model, alas not waterlined and I want to get rid of the more obvious print lines .
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Good Morning Tom,

First I sanded the easy to reach parts with an Emery stick (sandpaper nail file).
I scraped everywhere else with a flat ended sculpting tool to remove left over filament.

I applied the Mr Surfacer 500 straight from the bottle with a flat nylon brush about 6 mm wide. I did not thin it at all.
It goes on like thick paint and shrinks as it dries. After the first coat dried, I applied some more.
You do need decorators' solvent paint thinners to clean the brush afterwards.

I left the model to dry overnight and then sanded it.
I actually cut small slices from the Emery stick so that I had a 5mm x 20mm and a 8mm x 20mm sanding pad to get in the awkward parts.

Then I gave the model a coat of Vallejo US Olive Drab spray, which is the right colour for US Army vehicles in Vietnam
However, I am not sure whether that is right for USMC. I painted the PBR with Vallejo Russian Green which is slightly darker and more like the Marines Green.

I am tempted to make sandbags with Milliput and add a few tank riders.

This is really just a test piece to see if 3D printed models (FDM) are OK.

I was planning to buy the LVTE-5 and paint eyes on the bulldozer blade, like the one in Apocalypse Now.
However, after the experience with cleaning and filling this model, I don't think I will bother.
I don't think there is an LVTP-5 available in 28mm or 1/50, other than a 3D print.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 08:47:10 AM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Thanks for the info ! I will post some pictures of mine when I got rid of the print lines. I think i have the same STL file you used.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Mine came from Butler's Printed Models.

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
Ah, OK. You can get an STL file on Thingiverse for those with a printer.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
You’ve done a decent job of fixing that Mick. The USMC colour is Forest Green. AK produce a bottle, either stand alone or in a kit but I’m pretty dubious about the colour. If you want a spray Tamiya’s JGSDF Olive Drab (TS-70) is allegedly a decent match and that’s what I’ve used for my marine armour as the base coat.

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Dear Carlos,

Thank-you for the tip. I Googled USMC Forest Green versus US Olive Drab and found these on line:

They are slightly contradictory.

This is quite good but in German
https://www.militaerlacke.de/fahrzeuglacke/1k-eimergebinde/u.s.-army/?p=2

I will probably go with the Vallejo Russian Green Spray as it appears to be quite close to USMC Forest Green.
This is the same colour that I used on the PBR so at least they will match.
It is a bit darker and less yellowy than the Vallejo Olive Drab and Vallejo Russian Uniform.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 10:25:39 AM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
This weekends project - three Barrage Miniatures Sampans. These are really nice models. Simon Chick recommended the company.

Barrage Miniatures is a Spanish company with a large range of resin boats, vehicles, and buildings. The range includes small and large Sampans, fishing boats, an ARVN Yabatu Junk and a SEAL support craft. These models are available in 1/72 scale for 20mm figures and 1/56 for 28mm figures. The models follow historical reference books, photographs and blueprints. They are designed and modelled by Alf Comps and Barrage Miniatures studio. The master model boats are 3D printed and then hand finished.
https://www.barrageminiatures.com/31-boats

« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 07:20:07 AM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
Re: Mick's Vietnam Painting Guide (updated 06/12/2020 Sampans)
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2020, 04:43:01 PM »
Very nice, just had a look and they have a rather good looking howitzer emplacement...