Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:10:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 54mm Rogue Trader crew  (Read 3513 times)

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
54mm Rogue Trader crew
« on: April 14, 2020, 11:43:10 AM »
These are kind of a weird thing: I got a little downhearted when some of my classes were cancelled, so while chatting to Ramshackle Curtis I impulse-bought a random assortment of 50 54mm figures from Tehnolog, with the goal of making some Inquisitor-on-a-budget kind of figures out of them. Not that I'm actually going to play Inquisitor, but you know what I mean. Anyway, a few simple conversions later I had a crew to paint!

Next up, some opposition for them in the form of Chaos cultists, but in the meantime they'll have to content themselves with plastic dinosaurs and whatnot.

From left to right: unnamed heavy gunner, Sister Eleutheria (who is both a Battle Sister and a cousin from a minor branch of the Mortsafe family), Lord-Captain Anaximander Mortsafe, Combat Automaton 80-N35, Major Kuznetsov.

(I crudely edited out the fold in the backdrop, which is why there are some chunky bits of colour there).

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 01:09:11 PM by James Holloway »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: 54mm Rogue Trader crew
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 12:02:25 PM »
Very cool  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 02:54:01 PM »
I actually like the Technolog line. The best cheap figures money could buy! If they were smaller I'd own every last one of them.

Offline Wildman II

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 06:59:19 PM »
Nice painting.

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 10:02:53 PM »
I actually like the Technolog line. The best cheap figures money could buy! If they were smaller I'd own every last one of them.

I find them hit-and-miss. Some are nice, simple figures with lots of bold character, and others are ... a bit rough. But they were very cheap and the random assortment added to the fun, too!

If I had a lot of space to play in I could definitely see getting into this scale.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 11:35:42 PM »
Interesting project, very cool man.

Regarding the cancelled classes, these are classes you were teaching, or enrolled in?
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 08:31:50 AM »
Interesting project, very cool man.

Regarding the cancelled classes, these are classes you were teaching, or enrolled in?

Teaching. Most schools here have shut down and gone to online teaching, but some of my work is teaching foreign students, and they went home before travel was suspended, so my classes with them were cancelled. It was the right decision, of course, but a bit disappointing for me.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 02:24:49 PM »
I'm a 54mm gamer myself, so it's great fun to see your work! You've done a marvelous job on them. Tehnolog does make some superb figures, especially in the Fantasy genre - their skellies are some of the best made in any scale, I think. Out of curiosity, what figures are you using for cultists? If you haven't seen them already, take a look at Warhansa's offerings; they are another Russian maker, and have some truly excellent things for sale...

http://warhansa.com/index.php/katalog/fantasy_series.html

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 10:01:49 PM »
Teaching. Most schools here have shut down and gone to online teaching, but some of my work is teaching foreign students, and they went home before travel was suspended, so my classes with them were cancelled. It was the right decision, of course, but a bit disappointing for me.

I can totally imagine your disappointment and lack of closure. I teach high school art (taught college for fourteen years prior to that). The shakeup to the educational system has been insane. We transitioned to distance/online/continuous quite quickly (surprise, Kansas can do something right for once!). My wife teaches college music and this is the most despondent I have ever seen her.

Anyway, back to your excellent project, don't want to hijack your thread!

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 01:43:01 PM »
I'm a 54mm gamer myself, so it's great fun to see your work! You've done a marvelous job on them. Tehnolog does make some superb figures, especially in the Fantasy genre - their skellies are some of the best made in any scale, I think. Out of curiosity, what figures are you using for cultists? If you haven't seen them already, take a look at Warhansa's offerings; they are another Russian maker, and have some truly excellent things for sale...

http://warhansa.com/index.php/katalog/fantasy_series.html

Those are very cool!

For the cultists, my plan was to savagely convert the leftover models from the big Tehnolog order I made. This elf archer is going to be the first victim:

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 06:33:48 AM »
Aarh! This is really cool. Such a good result also.

I really love the feel of the 54mm size figures. I did an 1:32 Airfix game once and I really loved it. (https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=77955.msg953900#msg953900)
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 01:57:57 PM »
I admit to being biased, but 54mm is a great scale to game in - there's something about the added size, their being more like toys, that makes them very appealing. So appealing, in fact, that these days I have a hard time working up enthusiasm for the smaller scales. It's hard to go back.

Your cultist is looking marvelous, James!  :)

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 02:50:12 PM »
Aarh! This is really cool. Such a good result also.

I really love the feel of the 54mm size figures. I did an 1:32 Airfix game once and I really loved it. (https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=77955.msg953900#msg953900)

That looks really nice! What size table were you playing on -- is that a 4 x 4 (or metric equivalent)? One of the things I'm worried about is having a table big enough to provide the right feel.

Of course, I'm going to have to make some 54mm terrain now, amn't I? The work is never done.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 04:12:24 PM »
That looks really nice! What size table were you playing on -- is that a 4 x 4 (or metric equivalent)? One of the things I'm worried about is having a table big enough to provide the right feel.

Of course, I'm going to have to make some 54mm terrain now, amn't I? The work is never done.

I don't recall what size table I used, but I am almost certain it was 4x4.

I recall not finding it that much different from 28mm skirmish with regards to space requirements.

But yes - you do have to make a whole set of alternative terrain... or just go with suitably scale less stuff.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 06:38:55 PM »
I am very positively surprised how good these models look. Being rather a small scale gamer, this is a real eye opening. They are heroic yet not so stunted. Very cool!

Where can I find those Tehnolog models and what is this line actually meant to represent?