Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:05:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690831
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Golgotha's Fantasy  (Read 21715 times)

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Golgotha's Fantasy
« on: April 15, 2020, 12:14:11 PM »
Hi all

Herewith my recent fantasy miniature additions. These are Trolls to accompany my orc army manufactured by a Russian company called Tehnolog. See: http://www.tehnolog.ru/product.php

I think these are some of the nicest Troll miniatures I have seen and are excellent for the price. Ordered mine on Ebay for as little as £6.08 with postage for all four miniatures. Also ordered their Minotaur miniatures. I think their Dwarves will make good statues.

Trolls emerging from the deep dark woods. 

Many people seem to dislike the second miniature here from the left. He looks like the commander and I am pleased the way he came out.

The miniature on the far right here is my favourite.

These will certainly add some weight to my orc army. I will still be basing these.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 11:48:34 AM by Golgotha »

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
Re: Golgotha's Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 04:13:39 PM »
Nice work, the cheap Tehnolog 54mm stuff really paints up surprisingly well, been tempted a few times myself.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 04:27:58 PM »
anyone got a link on ebay / amazon for these - searching with 'technolog' hasn't brought anything up.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 05:54:04 PM »
I got mine from these two sellers on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sincopa69/m.html?item=173925191834&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/erinaceus_primus/m.html?item=324018497163&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I am not sure why it is but ebay is often useless at providing search results. Hope this helps Bloggard.

Cait Sidhe give 'em a go, they are well worth the price and long wait for delivery. Most fantasy players I imagine can always do with a few Trolls.

They apparently come in two types, hard and soft plastic. These were soft plastic, which I washed and undercoated with grey spray paint. They did paint up nicely in the end. Detail is lacking in parts. They had a few join lines, nothing serious - which was easy to get rid of with sharp knife and needle file. Indeed, I sharpened and shortened the axe and sword blades slightly. Adding also a bit of "battle damage" here and there.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 06:01:32 PM by Golgotha »

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 06:06:10 PM »
I have those primed and ready to paint. Somewhere. I really like them. You've made a really good job of those.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 06:55:50 PM »
Wow! You made those look great! I will have to revise my opinion of Technology now.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 08:26:09 PM »
I got mine from these two sellers on ebay:

Cheers Golgotha  :)

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 08:01:21 AM »
Great minds think alike, I have ordered these and the minators as well, hoping the pandemic doesn’t interfere to much with postage from Russia.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 09:55:02 AM »
I look forward to seeing yours Elk.

Good luck with postage Gunner and Bloggard.

I ordered the Minotaurs on the 14th March and they should have arrived two days ago but still waiting. Tracking suggests they are en route. I think they would be good for a number of things including maybe additions to a Beastmen type army.

Thank you Rick. Think it proves yet again that one does not need to necessarily splash out lots of cash in order to find suitable miniatures.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 10:13:18 AM »
Herewith another example of taking what was ostensibly a toy and converting it to a wargame miniature. This was found in my garden buried in the dirt. A wrestler toy of some sort that I thought would be fun to resurrect into some sort of giant barbarian sort.

'orrible shiny toy wrestler - some green stuff and weapons added. The spear method here I do regularly as a conversion get steel rod and or bristles from brushes work depending on scale, drill a hole and weapon done.

Added a shoulder pad and cheesy horns etc. Mask become a helmet. A lick of paint. The shield was a button I painted on a design of a dragon by hand. Which I am rather happy with. Overall effect is a huge improvement I think. I have added some more detail and flocking since these pictures.

see more here: https://frictionbmcminiatures.blogspot.com/2020/04/golgothas-fantasy.html

Offline Swordisdrawn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • '
    • Sword is Drawn
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 10:51:45 AM »
Lovely trolls. Did you just prime them as normal? Really smart
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn and the scabbard thrown away!'

Instagram Swordisdrawn264

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 11:30:59 PM »
If I recall correctly I sprayed them with Humbrol grey spray paint or Tamiya Primer. Then gave light wash and dry brush to highlight some of the details and then painted. I had some paint chipping issues on one face and one weapon so I painted these areas with a thin coat of Mod Podge. On handling them now, they are fine and the paint has remained intact. I am used to painting soft plastic 1/72 miniatures and these are a similar plastic so no issues. On retrospect I would have not sprayed them as the above issues would then have been avoided.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 11:34:14 PM by Golgotha »

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 12:43:33 PM »
Herewith two scratchbuilt Ents. Made from wire and clay. as well as the roots of ivy plants.

See: http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Ents

I  wanted Ents that looked like a tree and could easily hide among other forest trees. Ideal for surprising the enemy and smashing anyone wondering into their forest.

Sense of scale, GW Elf. I tend to use these Ents as allies for my Elven army.

Here one can see the face of the Ent he has a long branch like nose.

Wanted roots to become the legs without looking like a humanoid biped. Imagine it shambling along.

Wanted the ground on the base to look churned up, having either had the roots rip out or shamble over...

More pictures available here: https://frictionbmcminiatures.blogspot.com/2020/05/golgothas-ents.html
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 02:43:23 PM by Golgotha »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 02:28:22 PM »
Absolutely brilliant Ents mate! I love how you have done the roots. Genius!

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2020, 01:07:24 AM »
Cheers Rick

Herewith, the Minotaurs alluded to above by Tehnolog.

This one is not by Tehnolog, but he is a toy Minotaur, which I repainted, he like the ones above still needs to be based. He came with some knights and other fantasy miniatures and he is like a miniature version of the Schleich toys.

This one in my mind is rather "classic" looking indeed I may well use him for a game against some 1/72 Greeks.

Size comparison. I am happy with the Tehnolog Minotaurs and feel I have now filled what I saw as a gap in my collection. Also I think the Trolls are better quality and looking miniatures. Still if one wants some cheap large monsters these certainly fit the bill. and are fun to paint up.

For more pictures see: https://frictionbmcminiatures.blogspot.com/2020/05/golgothas-fantasy-minotaurs.html
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 01:13:20 AM by Golgotha »