Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:06:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691092
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bases, integral, Slotter and other.  (Read 9655 times)

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
Re: Bases, integral, Slotter and other.
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 03:21:28 PM »
It's interesting to notice that half of the people here are talking about their external base choices, while another half discusses how the miniatures themselves should be made. The mini is just a piece of metal. No plywood, pennies or plastic there (in a real mini, that is ;)). One with a tab often goes to a slottabase, but that's by no means compulsory. It's entirely possible to cut the tab off in two seconds and use any base in the world. Alternatively, you can buy thin plywood slottas from Litko. Just file the tab down slightly if needed. It still holds perfectly and your mini doesn't have to be any higher than with integral bases. Integrals fit instantly to any flat surface, but removal can range from slightly tedious to nearly impossible, depending on the design. It seriously limits the choices or increases the workload if you want to use resin bases, for example.

I don't know if there's any real point in this post. I just observed that people use different interpretations of the original question. I thought it was mostly about design in the manufacturer's end.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2009, 03:27:59 PM »
It's interesting to see how the debate runs though.  Every single time I've seen this happen, it runs the same course.  The only difference here is that nobody's popped in with sales figures.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2009, 04:00:41 PM »
It's interesting to see how the debate runs though.  Every single time I've seen this happen, it runs the same course.  The only difference here is that nobody's popped in with sales figures.

lol

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2009, 10:30:15 PM »
I made a very conscious decision when I got into Pulp gaming to use the Privateer Press-style dished display bases as a way to help unify my various pulp-themed figures from different lines on the tabletop. Because the display base has a recessed area, it will take a small/thin integral base without raising the figure up too high or making it seem like they're standing on a hummock. Conversely, slottabased figures can use the slot provided, or be clipped from their tabs and pinned to the base as needed. Now that Fenris, etc. are making high-quality textured resin bases in the same style, the variety of choice is only increased. You can see the "unifying" effect in this scale comparison photo here:

I've done the same thing when I stared Weird War with Artizan, Darkson, Ral Partha and SOTR. IU'll post a comparison figure when they're painted.

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2009, 10:39:21 PM »
It's interesting to see how the debate runs though. 

I agree it is interesting to see what other people do.

Offline Renfield286

• Librarian
  • War, War never changes...
    • Renfield in 28mm
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 07:44:25 AM »
It's interesting to notice that half of the people here are talking about their external base choices, while another half discusses how the miniatures themselves should be made. The mini is just a piece of metal. No plywood, pennies or plastic there (in a real mini, that is ;)). One with a tab often goes to a slottabase, but that's by no means compulsory. It's entirely possible to cut the tab off in two seconds and use any base in the world. Alternatively, you can buy thin plywood slottas from Litko. Just file the tab down slightly if needed. It still holds perfectly and your mini doesn't have to be any higher than with integral bases. Integrals fit instantly to any flat surface, but removal can range from slightly tedious to nearly impossible, depending on the design. It seriously limits the choices or increases the workload if you want to use resin bases, for example.

I don't know if there's any real point in this post. I just observed that people use different interpretations of the original question. I thought it was mostly about design in the manufacturer's end.

it was mostly me having a bit of a rant about how i cut half a foot from a dwarf when trying a new way to remove the integral base from him.
but i am a much bigger fan of tabbed mini's.
but then again, i cut the tab off and fill the hole on the slotta before pinning the mini onto it (after texturing and painting both mini and base)

Offline Renfield286

• Librarian
  • War, War never changes...
    • Renfield in 28mm
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 07:52:56 AM »

well, if someone did, how could you calculate how many people use washers or pennies as bases?
or even wood and cardboard for that matter?
its not like you could go off the core distribution of those.

and I'm sure GW\Rackham\reaper go through tonnes of slottas (most of which come with the miniatures) but then again, there is a percentage of those that will never get used due to the individuals deciding to place them on a different base.

on the flip side I'm sure that many companies that produce mini's on integral bases get through tonnes of those too. but again, not everyone is going to base them the same.

I don't think sales figures mean much here.

Offline Curryman

• Librarian
    • The Screaming Alpha
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 10:01:42 AM »
Sorry to drift a bit OT, but I've really come to depend on GF9's Econo Bases for my integral-base minis. They're essentially just MDF cut to just about whatever size you want in round, oval, or square. I got a big pack of 25mm rounds and they've been real lifesavers. I've got a review on my website, but it's from the very beginning of the project so the writing and photography is a little... rough around the edges. Still, it's worth a look for anybody interested in a very inexpensive basing solution.

Oh, and in the review I heave a lot of invective towards the very concept of integral bases because they drive me crazy. I reckon I might have cut all that nonsense out if I were writing it today...

http://thescreamingalpha.com/2009/01/18/review-econo-bases-by-gale-force-nine/
Check out The Screaming Alpha http://thescreamingalpha.com for the best in miniature and RPG reviews, guaranteed! [Not a guarantee]

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2009, 08:51:43 AM »
I use washers because that is how God wanted us to base our miniatures. Those of you who don't know where *you* will end up.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2009, 01:49:14 PM »
I use washers because that is how God wanted us to base our miniatures.

That's the best argument on this topic I've heard in 2 years!  lol

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2009, 02:19:40 PM »
By the way, for slotters I cut slots in 25mm washers with a emery disc and a Dremel. A pretty quick job with the right tools. For miniatures with plugs (may I suggest 'pluggers'?), like GW LotR horses I drill holes but for that I find that you need good tungsten drills and a power drill.