Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:25:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 40mm War of 1812  (Read 4483 times)

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
Re: 40mm War of 1812
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 02:18:56 PM »
Which Ruleset(s) are you using?

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
    • Alan's Wargaming Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 02:45:35 PM »
I'll try it with General de Brigade first as I'm familiar with that set and it scales up to 1:10 easily. I'll have a few trial runs to work out the best movement rates etc.

I'm not a fan of Black Powder, not sure why, it just isn't my kind of rules I suppose.

There's plenty of others out there, if I can't make one set work, I'll try another.

While we're still in some form of lockdown/restrictions, I'll be playing against my youngest son (22) whose gaming experience is Warhammer 40k, so it will need to be easy to pick up and move along fairly rapidly - maybe BP is the one to go with after all! We'll see.

Offline IronDuke596

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2020, 06:14:22 PM »
I have been using General de Brigade, for many years along with a growing addendum to reflect War of 1812 aspects. I understand the fast play attraction of Black Powder but it does not have enough granularity to satisfy my needs. British Grenadier (in the same family as GdeB) is also suitable for this period but I do not like the concept and tracking of disruptions points.  Otherwise it has same look and feel of GdeB.

I agree with your reasons as to the enjoyment of War of 1812 gaming. I particularly like the fact that all battles are sized at division and below, which makes it easier to accumulate enough figures to game any battle.

I am really enjoying watching your steady progress of your outstanding collection. Thanks. BTW the West Indian battalions will be suitable for the Battle of New Orleans.

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2020, 04:55:48 AM »
I wouldn't hold my breath for the Sash and Saber West Indian figures. The sculptor seems to have thrown in the towel. I think there have been 4 new 40mm packs in the last three years.

I have the British Grenadier rules but I have to say as much as I want to like them, they put my mind to sleep. It could be I do too much reading for work to want to read a lot of jargon for ply-time. I am more of a Neil Thomas man.

Also, recently looking at Osprey Honours of War. Might be good for War of 1812 because there weren't to many columns to worry about. Although we would need some rues for Indians etc.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 05:00:12 AM by MiniPigs »

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2021, 07:54:16 AM »
The 1st Foot. Slightly grainy photo, but interesting for me as they were painted over a period of about 12 months in between other things and there’s about 4 different flesh tones and several reds where i couldn’t remember what I had used to start with.

I find it difficult to paint a whole unit before moving on. I must start taking notes on what I have used at the start!!

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2021, 08:08:32 AM »
And a nearly complete 12th US. I have a love/hate relationship with the Sash and Saber figures. Sometimes I love them, sometimes I find them frustrating.

These have come out ok, but I didn’t enjoy painting them, it kind of shows in some of the details, like the lace. I can’t explain it, just one of those things I think.

Flags or War flags, scaled up for 40mm. Iain is very helpful and will scale things up.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 08:11:19 AM by Alan Mercer »

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2021, 10:37:07 AM »
great paint-jobs.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2021, 05:31:09 PM »
This is super, I am just starting out on an 1812 project in 40mm so this is heaven!! :)

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2021, 08:58:52 AM »
Excellent, any particular campaign?

I'm veering back to the Chesapeake 1814, so Bladensburg etc. Although the US militia were largely in blue, there's enough variation to make it interesting, and their performance varies from steady to shocking, so quite similar to Napoleonic Spanish! The figure choice is pretty much Sash and Saber, there are a few gaps, so I'll need to be creative, and maybe get some small stuff commissioned, heads mainly, possibly a couple of figures.

Looking forward to seeing yours develop.

Offline ian220756

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2021, 10:44:43 AM »
The 1st Foot. Slightly grainy photo, but interesting for me as they were painted over a period of about 12 months in between other things and there’s about 4 different flesh tones and several reds where i couldn’t remember what I had used to start with.

I find it difficult to paint a whole unit before moving on. I must start taking notes on what I have used at the start!!
Super stuff Alan
I sympathise re different paint colours - I paint six at a time then have to go back to the previous 6/12/18/24/30 - no wonder it takes forever !
Ian

Offline schoey

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2021, 05:13:35 PM »
Excellent job Alan, they really do look the part.

Paul

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2021, 05:36:13 PM »
Excellent, any particular campaign?

I'm veering back to the Chesapeake 1814, so Bladensburg etc. Although the US militia were largely in blue, there's enough variation to make it interesting, and their performance varies from steady to shocking, so quite similar to Napoleonic Spanish! The figure choice is pretty much Sash and Saber, there are a few gaps, so I'll need to be creative, and maybe get some small stuff commissioned, heads mainly, possibly a couple of figures.

Looking forward to seeing yours develop.

Nothing hard and fast at the moment but possibly the Niagara campaign but not a hundred percent sure yet. :)

Offline IronDuke596

• Librarian
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2021, 06:27:38 PM »
Yes, the Chesapeake campaign has a lot of scope for a variety of scenarios from small raids like Havre de Grace, Caulks fields and St Leonards, to the slightly larger raids Hampton Roads and Craney Island and then the full scale battles of Bladensburg and North Point. Pre Covid I hosted all of these games and they were a pleasurable variety of scenarios to play.

There is a lot of random what ifs you can inject into the scenarios to say nothing of the many amphibious operations that allow for a lot variety. For example, what if at Bladensburg LCol Tilghman exercised his initiative and brought his 300 cavalry out of the hidden dead ground and attacked the advancing British who were working their way up the Georgetown Pike. As you and others have stated there is such a variety of uniforms at play.

Superb painting and basing and again I really like your tight formations. Please keep us updated.

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2021, 06:43:16 AM »
The 1st Foot now has a light company. Sash and Saber Belgic Shako heads on Perry figures. These come under the category of ‘just get the bloody things done’ as they’ve been sitting unfinished in a box for 18 months or so, there’s a few areas I should have done better.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 06:45:30 AM by Alan Mercer »

Offline ian220756

• Librarian
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2021, 07:34:51 AM »
Great job Alan - you are too modest !