Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:54:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Romanian Maresal Tank Destroyer  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Romanian Maresal Tank Destroyer
« on: April 20, 2020, 11:58:04 PM »

Late into the war Romania was finding themselves unable to combat the Soviet Union's new heavy tanks. With limited supplies from Germany they instead set out designing their own solution. The Maresal Tank Destroyer was a prototype vehicle initially based on captured Soviet T-60 light tanks and armed with a 122mm Howitzer. Later versions would use the same chassis or a modified Panzer 38(t), and be equipped with the indigenous Resista 75mm anti-tank gun (itself a Frankenstein merging of British, German and Soviet guns). * I'd note here that the above photographs of the real vehicles vary from the variant I chose to build, representing other prototypes, as you'd expect with changes in a design process.

By the time of the Coup in Romania testing was still ongoing, with an order for 1000 placed. Germany also had intended to purchase the vehicle and anti-aircraft variants were planned. However the Soviets cancelled the project and confiscated the prototypes. These vehicles did however lead to German developement of the Jagdpanzer 38(t) tank destroyer, which saw active service throughout the later part of the war.

This is a 1/56th scale model for use in 28mm wargames with the Romanian army. Whilst there's no accounts of them seeing service, its something which I've wanted to make for a while (and apparently is something on a few Wargamer's wishlists). Its based on a 3D printed T-60 tank chassis, with the rest made from mostly plasticard. This depiction of the M-04 prototype isn't accurate in all places due to the limited amount of information out there. In particular the roadwheels should be solid, and chassis slightly wider, but I chose to ignore those details for ease of the build.

Currently I'm debating making further Maresal prototypes. There's maybe 10 recorded ones. Particularly an earlier T-60 based model with the SU-122's gun, and the later prototype which was going to be used for the production model - which used the Panzer 38(t) as a basis (being perhaps an even more direct inspiration for the Jagdpanzer 38(t), given the project's cancellation and Germany no longer being able to source these nippy little Tank Destroyers). having such a small chassis armed with a 122mm gun seems like a fun time. :D

Oh and for reference, this thing is tiny. Here's a comparison with a Jagdpanzer 38(d) and a Hetzer (with a Panzer IV turret) to give you an idea. :)

« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:27:20 AM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Romanian Maresal Tank Destroyer
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2020, 07:51:26 AM »
I’ve learnt something there, thanks.
Very interesting and so cute! Lol, assuming you can call a lump of metal designed to blow people up cute!  lol
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 08:16:04 AM »
Very nice work.

Thanks for the background (it gets mentioned as the inspiration for the JPzr 38(t), but with no details).

I look forward to seeing more of your creatons.

Very interesting and so cute! Lol, assuming you can call a lump of metal designed to blow people up cute!  lol
So you have never been to Panzer 38(t) petting zoo?

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 01:20:03 PM »
No, but maybe there is a market for that?

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 03:26:50 PM »
This vehicle came about mostly as I was trying to fit an SU-85 into my Romanian force, but couldn't find any evidence to back that up. Ah, realistically they probably had more chance of having the captured Soviet vehicle in service, but this seemed a cooler alternative. :)

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 08:21:21 PM »
Thanks for the interesting read and the unique model. I'm working on a Romanian force myself so I'm always on the lookout for what others are doing on this subject. I'll be looking forward to seeing what you share next.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 08:49:31 PM »
Very nice work on an unusual subject.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 11:34:51 PM »
My Romanians have been in a state of flux recently as I swap out the range I had planned on using for another one. I began with Great Escape Games' figures, but found them too chunky, so have gone for mostly Empress Miniatures with some Gothic Line stuff instead.

These new companies don't do Romanians in Winter dress however, which means I'm intending to modify them. Giving them woolen jackets, rain ponchos, and various forms of winter camouflage.

I've actually been putting off creating a threat here covering my various Eastern Front forces (Germans, Italians, Romanians and Soviets). Mostly as I keep adding to them so they never wind up in a good enough state for me to want to talk about. There's just so much there now that organising the thread seems hellish.

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 11:31:15 PM »
My Romanians have been in a state of flux recently as I swap out the range I had planned on using for another one. I began with Great Escape Games' figures, but found them too chunky, so have gone for mostly Empress Miniatures with some Gothic Line stuff instead.

How is the Gothic Line Miniatures range? I've been considering getting some more stuff to bolster my own project but I don't really know anything about them.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 01:33:09 AM »
I'd say that the models are fair. There's more variaty in the poses than the other options. Though the quality isn't as high in places either - at least compared to certain details sculpted by other companies. I found that the heads tend to be a bit large - more like Warlord's or Westwind's. And they seem a little tall to me in cases, in part as I'm mostly using Offensive Miniatures figures currently, which are quite skinny.

As ranges go I'd put Tsuba Miniatures' at the top. The sculpting's excellent and the uniforms are accurate. Great Escape Games quality is consistent, but I'm not sure about their canteens being correct, and generally they're scaled more in line with Warlord than say the Perry's - in particular their SMGs are huge; rifles not so much.

If there's a choice between Great Escape Games and Gothic Line Miniatures then I'd err towards the later. With personal taste I'm choosing not to use every figure which I bought though, and going to pick up more of Tsuba Miniatures' models (I'll flog them with a load of Great Escape Games figures once I re-open my Bazaar thread).

Offline cahrn

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 03:17:15 AM »
Thanks for the answer. I've already painted one of the Great Escape Games platoon packs, which was a rather painful experience so I'm trying to decide which range to pick moving forward. By my count I'll need roughly another 30 miniatures to get enough for what I'd like to accomplish. I'd been leaning towards the Tsuba range but I forgot completely about the Gothic Line offering.