Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:27:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Golgotha's Sci-Fi  (Read 8930 times)

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
Re: Golgotha's Sci-Fi
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2022, 08:59:22 PM »
I like how that mech came out.
Good job. :D
You must do more ;)

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2022, 11:06:34 AM »
Cheers Grumpy Gnome more on there way...

Cheers Zrunelord I may have something in that regard in the pipeline...

Herewith the Revell Millennium Falcon by Revell, which makes an excellent and cheap alternative to the X-Wings game miniature.

More pictures are available here:
https://frictionbmcminiatures.blogspot.com/2022/08/golgothas-sci-fi-star-wars-millennium.html

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2022, 12:57:07 PM »
Hope you like these ones Grumpy Gnome...
Great work on all those various starships mate!

Herewith some more tine space ships from the board game Buck Rogers as well as a scratch-built ship suitable for a number of games including X-Wing Star Wars and Star Trek. Any spaceship game I suppose... Made from three or four random bits of mostly old toys... At any rate, I am happy with the windows and cockpits on the tiny Buck Rogers ships as these are very small.

In this first picture you can also see the underside of the ships.

I have nicknamed this thing the Pachyderm. If you look closely you may be able to figure out why...

More pictures are available here: https://frictionbmcminiatures.blogspot.com/2022/08/golgothas-sci-fi-more-buck-rogers-board.html

« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 01:14:14 PM by Golgotha »

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2022, 05:33:40 PM »
So I had a blue one so why not a red one. Herewith a GW Blood Angels Primaris Bladeguard Lieutenant. I have another of these miniatures - I think that one will have to be green so maybe a Dark Angel.

More pictures are available here: https://frictionbmcminiatures.blogspot.com/2022/08/golgothas-sci-fi-gw-blood-angels.html

The miniature was largely painted while still on the sprue after undercoating grey. Much easier and quicker to paint. With then touchups and more shading done once he was put together...

« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 05:44:08 PM by Golgotha »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2022, 06:34:03 PM »
It looks like painting the figure on the sprue worked really well. (was it any more difficult to clean up mould lines than if the parts were cut off?)

I’m in the middle of assembling a pile of Oathmark figs and kind of wish I could do something similar with those! Not really an option, though, with 5 figures per sprue and a load of parts (and I often change my mind about which parts to use - need to see them dry-fitted before making the final decision).

In any case, the completed model looks great!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2022, 06:48:09 PM »
Looks great!

I'm intrigued by the on-the-sprue technique; a friend of mine swears by it, but I always imagine disasters involving glue dissolving paintwork and fingers abrading it!

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2022, 07:45:19 PM »
Cheers Pattus Magnus and Hobgoblin.

This paint on the sprue method certainly has pros and cons, as this was a GW snap fit marine there was little to clean up. Though with him being such a tight fit do sand down the pins a bit for a better fit. Getting rid of mold lines when on the sprue can also be easier. The problems can start with any areas requiring gluing as one needs to ideally make sure these areas are paint free - if using the sorts of plastic cement that melts the plastic together.

Option parts do complicate things – do I paint all the options and then decide or paint only one hoping it will work – I suppose once one is familiar with a set and has put a few together then these decisions become easier. Getting every area of the miniature painted is also easier especially with the newer GW minis as many seem to have some very awkward nooks and crannies to try and get a brush into…

I first started doing this method with 1/72 miniatures and found it much quicker and easier. Any method that helps one get through the lead pile is perhaps worth trying at least once.

Herewith the last of what I will be painting from the Buck Rogers Board game, the space-stations these could be potentially useful as gun emplacements for a number of sci-fi settings. They are a tad rough and ready but better than unpainted.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2022, 05:39:07 PM »
The emplacements look great, very sci-fi.

Thank you for the info about painting on the sprue. Your point about making sure points that will be glued are paint-free makes sense. A blob of blue-tac on those spots before priming (and left on during painting) would probably be a good way to mask them. I find blue-tac is very versatile for that kind of  job, since it conforms to uneven surfaces.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 04:20:33 PM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2022, 01:26:14 PM »
That is a great idea Pattus Magnus. Cheers.

Herewith EM4 Miniatures Space Rangers - A cheap alternative to GW Space Marines. At any rate at the price (£3.99 for 5 miniatures) a fun cheap must for any Sci-Fi collector.

See: https://em4miniatures.com/collections/science-fiction-near-future-miniatures/products/space-rangers

Also see: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=137841.msg1753511#msg1753511

More pictures are available here:
https://frictionbmcminiatures.blogspot.com/2022/08/golgothas-sci-fi-em4-miniatures-space.html

Compared to GW Space Marine so perhaps better suited to the older GW minis in terms of size.

[/img]
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 01:34:11 PM by Golgotha »

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2022, 01:56:11 PM »
Silly price though, they look great!

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2022, 02:50:37 PM »
I've just built and primed some GW Orks from Kill Team Octarius and some of the Ork character models from last year.

Touching up the primer was a royal pain, and painting some areas will be pretty much impossible.

I have started to wonder if I should have gone for sub-assemblies, but one of the problems with building the Orks is 140+ parts spread randomly across three sprues (to defeat the box splitters, so I've heard). Arm down to the wrist, then separate wrist and part of the hand, with the rest of the hand holding a weapon that's in multiple parts o_o

The fit was generally excellent, but two parts did need some filler (not sure it that was GW or my gluing), so I imagine that would be unpleasant if everything was painted before discovering that.

I still don't know what the answer is, but your appoach is definitely one I shall consider for models with small part counts.

On that technique, do you just basecoat before building, or do you do the full shade and highlight before reaching for the glue?