Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:32:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690937
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Stuf Wot E Dun  (Read 4518 times)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Stuf Wot E Dun
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 07:14:40 AM »
Haven't we all?!

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 11:13:34 PM »
For Dog Lovers Everywhere.
Around 2006 Privateer Press released the warbeast equivalent of War Machine. Not willing to fork out the fortune to amass a force I purchased a bag of zombie dogs for one of these Zombie games and painted them up. Nice and cheap, (in fact the bases cost more per figure), I was able to enjoy several games at a fraction of the cost. But with rules and data cards over £30 still not cost free!  The werewolf jaeger was from another range, but at £8 still half the price of an official figure. Those Isle of Lewis chess men were able to stand in for animated statues and standing stones. I did treat myself to a large wolf warbeast (currently headless), but a project completed much quicker and at less cost than painting a bunch of 30mm figures.

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2020, 11:18:57 PM »
The young scout descended the escarpment. Below him he could see the tree line and the stunted trees that attempted to make a living this high up. The tribe was on the move from the high mountain valleys where they spent the Summer months, down to the more hospitable woodlands and lands beyond. It was Autumn now and soon the harsh, icy grip of Winter would turn this world white. Despite his young years the scout could sense there was something out of place. He let out a warning call, "Or, Or", followed by a rising and falling "k,k,k,k,k" the sound of the Ptarmigan, one of the hardy birds native to these mountains. The tribe was on the move with youngsters in tow, they could not risk getting caught unawares. In a few minutes warriors would quietly, invisibly join him.

Standing there listening the young scout realised that there was no sound, not even a bird call. Then he saw movement, like a bow wave moving through the woods. There was movement there, silent and deadly, and then the memories of tales of the elders came to him. It was the stuff of legend, way before his lifetime, but ingrained into the tribes memory. The wolves of Orberos.

For this battle, using Galactic Heroes, the Wendigoo, are Wargods of Hyboria figures. Both sides in this battle had the ranger ability, as a group trait for the Wendigoo and an individual trait for the Wolves of Orberos. This means both sides can travel at full speed in difficult terrain. The Wendigoo leader had the ability to call up 3 youths (forgotten about in the heat of battle) and the wolves were horde based. The objective was simple, to get rid of the on going threat the Werewolf needed killing.
The only long range ability was the Wendigoo's javelins with a maximum range of 6", so not surprisingly both sides closed fast. The Wolves forming a solid clump in the middle, coming up short of the stream ready to leap it in turn 3 and the Wendigoo forming a semi cicle in the hopes of getting some javelins off.

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2020, 11:21:30 PM »
As it happened the Wolves got the jump on them and leaping the river engaged along the line. Wolves dropped, but so did Wendigoo, and the numbers started to favour the wolves. All looked lost then the Wendigoo leader used his running combat ability - meaning after a round of combat he can move any remaining move to engage someone else. He shook his first opponent, then with 10" movement was able to move and engage a group of 3 Wolves one at a time, slaying them all. But at the end of the turn it was the leader on his own against the werewolf and 5 wolves. The wolves went first and launched one of the troops with the idea of tieing the Wendigoo down and overwhelming him. The wolf died, then it was over to the Wendigoo, still outnumbered 5 to 1. I decided to throw a javelin at the Werewolf with a follow up charge. A long range javelin cast is difficult, but the only javelin hurled in this game found its target, and astonishingly killed the beast outright. From out the jaws of defeat our hero saves the day.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2020, 09:33:44 AM »
Love the battle report Gregor, but you have got to sort out the upside down pictures,
it is doing my neck in!

Offline jeffreythancock

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2020, 12:42:26 AM »
Stuf wot hoo dun?  I, e, u, em?

Da world is turned upside down!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 12:46:13 AM by jeffreythancock »

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2020, 08:06:50 AM »
Are the figures magnetised to stick to the ceiling ?
Flatpack

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2020, 08:13:50 PM »
I'll either have to emigrate to Australia or start putting the piccies into something like Paint first. Even rotating them 180 degrees ended up, well up, rather than down.

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2020, 08:21:17 PM »
The last 3 weeks have seen me spend far too many hours, days in fact, putting together forces for the wars of Spanish Succession, namely Dutch, British, French and Bavarian to date. There are still things like artillery to do, but taking the advice of a friend I put a game on. I was using "Twilight of the Sun King" rules and randomly rolled two forces going for 3 commands a side. As in many battles the Sun Kings forces were on the defence with both flanks anchored on fortified villages. On the French right was the village of Kettel and on the left the village of Kuppa. By the nature of the forces selected both sides only had cavalry holding the centre. This is a mistake. Anyway, the attack on Kettel was commanded by Lord Poll-Leigh with Colonel Poot in charge of the Dutch Guards. The attack on Kuppa was to be carried out by Earl Gray with Lord Tay in command of the foot and Commander Biskits in charge of the dragoon support. After the battle an aide's scribbled notes of Duke Tetley's orders of attack were seen to read thus: Poll-Leigh Poot Kettel on time for tea. Take Kuppa Earl Gray Tay and Biskits for tiffin.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 08:58:03 PM by Zingara »

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2020, 08:23:25 PM »
Some pictures attached - hopefully no cricks in the neck.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 08:26:52 PM by Zingara »

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2020, 08:53:53 PM »
The two attack columns went in, the attack against Kuppa delayed by the disorganising effects of the supporting artillery. The cavalry of the Maison du Roi supported by some regional noble cavalry charged and overran Tetley's artillery, but this left them at the mercy of the central cavalry who turned a couple of brigades on them. Troops do not like having troops behind their flanks or rear in these rules. The Maison du Roi fled the field together with their supports. The French infantry were moving up however and the lead brigade unable to extricate itself was sent packing.

In the centre Tetley's cavalry crossed the marshy stream. The net effect was both cavalry commands broken, the Bavarians on the right committing a couple of cuirassier brigades to ensure there was no exploitation.

Did Earl Grey take Kuppa ? A fierce contest ensued in which the lead Bavarian brigade was taking a battering and the supporting artillery battery shot away, but the advancing Guard ensued there was not sufficient strength to carry the position.

Poll-Leigh fared even worse, steady musketry and cannister together with the pressure of the advancing infantry reserve meant the force had to pull back having taken severe casualties, one brigade having been broken. The force withdrew covered by its horse, the French having none left on this wing.

And yes, these figures are papers produced by Peter Dennis - one thing I like is nice big colourful national and regimental colours.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2020, 08:58:09 PM »
They look great fella. 

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2020, 11:54:25 AM »
I am reminded of Grant, Grande Duchy of Lorraine & Verengete Fre Stat.
(Apologies for any mis-spelling) but you know (hopefully) what I mean.

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2020, 03:51:32 PM »
Just because it is on sale does not mean you need it.
Just because it looks good / cool does not mean you need it.
Just because it looks good and is on sale does not mean you need it.
Sales resistance very low. Then reality. These things are multi part. How many bits do I have to glue together ? Well over a hundred. If I wanted an Airfix kit or kits I would have got them.

Well after a lot of struggle and having to purchase some proper glue, I got a couple of box sets of WH40K Tzeentch assembled.  Did the easy ones first which just involved gluing to a base. Then tried the slightly larger ones and gave up, not least because, despite following instructions I ended up with one that did not fit :-(. Then a massive effort / chore to assemble the marines. Spray cans purchased and let loose. Had to put in garage for about a month before my usual supplier opened up again due to Covid shutdown, the gloss varnish massively improved them.

Got them out for three games Monday, and unlike most newly painted troops they did ok.

Another project completed.

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2020, 03:55:45 PM »
and some more - I don't see them that close normally - where a wash or something would help. At 3 foot or more they work well enough for me.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 03:57:43 PM by Zingara »