Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:21:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A historical curiosity: the Citadel Fantasy Tribe range and D&D's Monster Manual  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
I do like mucking about with the origins of these things, seeing how they began and then were adapted by the various systems. It's interesting how the background and the miniatures took turns with leading each other in developing the creatures.

Yes: there's an odd circularity when Warhammer orcs, which were originally trying to be D&D orcs, started to influence the look of D&D orcs. The gangly grey-green orc of the Monstrous Manual (second-edition AD&D) is very much like the Warhammer orcs of its time and quite unlike the pig-headed Monster Manual orcs - and as the Warhammer orcs became beefier, so did the D&D orcs - even to the extent that their stats changed radically.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Indeed.  I Used D&D hobgoblins from Minifigs as my Uruks,these are before Citadel came on the scene,oh yes and Ral Partha when I could get them. I guess the timeline for Orcs for me ran like this:
Minifigs
Ral Partha
Asgard
Citadel
Bear in mind I'm in Australia, and tis all happened over a coyple of years by which stage I'd discovered Glorantha...
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.