Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:46:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689629
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: "Darkest Africa" Solo (Darkest Frostgrave?)  (Read 3744 times)

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
Re: "Darkest Africa" Solo (Darkest Frostgrave?)
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 11:50:46 PM »
Thanks Diablo Jon.  Yes it was an enjoyable game but not exactly an auspicious start to the expedition. It was the first time I tried out Ruga Ruga in this project.  Based on what happened, I downgraded the Ruga Ruga shooting reducing the range of their muskets to 12 inches (poor ammunition ? - normally it is 18) and not giving them any shooting bonus.  That puts them more in line with Ruga Ruga the Heart of Africa rules.  They are better at close combat than askari but not as good at shooting.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2020, 06:32:59 AM »
Yes Ruga-Ruga are an interesting bunch to get right. Sounds like your changes should work.

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2020, 05:13:19 AM »
Heartened by their recent discovery of the Ebola River, the explorers decide to eliminate the Ruga Ruga in the area by a bold attack on their outpost.  The expedition's confidence is further heightened by the scouting of the old Boer Max (ie he passed a scouting skill check) who saw several Ruga Ruga leave the stockade probably on a hunting party so the defenses are likely weakened. The explorers and askari stalk through the forest and reaching the edge, they engage in a gun battle with the Ruga Ruga defending some rough barricades.  Max drops three Ruga Ruga with his rifle but the range is so close that the enemy's primitive muskets begin to take a terrible toll on the askari and the expedition wisely retires before it is wiped out. Although 6 askari went down in the attack, it turns out that they mostly lacked enthusiasm for the fight as only one was killed and the rest emerged unhurt.  Once again, the expedition has been bested by the cunning Ruga Ruga. In the confusion of the withdrawal, the carriers lose the food supply and it looks like there will be some hungry says ahead.  Luckily, Mr. Rowlands is a skilled hunter so the next day he pots a kudu that feeds the group. (ie. he passed a Big Game Hunter check) 

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2020, 07:17:57 PM »
Wow, I love it!

The only thing missing are King Solomon’s mines or, perhaps, the ruins of the City of Opar.  :)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2020, 07:33:56 PM »
That's a great idea. Lovely painting.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2020, 04:15:57 AM »
Thanks.  It all boils down to not wanting to learn new rules. ;)  Also, the explorers probably won't find King Solomon's Mines but one of the random encounters is "Archaeological Discovery."

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2020, 04:48:34 AM »
This is really wonderful stuff, the kind of games that got me hooked on LAF in the first place. Really enjoyed looking back through it all. Curious to know a bit more about how you incorporated Frostgrave into all of this :)

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2020, 03:45:21 AM »
Thanks Christian.  The core rules for movement, shooting, combat etc are all taken from Frostgrave/Rangers of Shadow Deep.  For instance, instead of phases for wizard, apprentice and soldiers, I have phases for leaders, assistant leaders and soldiers (same thing). I created Frostgrave type stats for a bunch of different types of characters like explorers, askari, warriors, ruga ruga etc.  The only thing that seems odd is the armour stat as everyone is either 10 armour (no armour) or 11 (shield only).  In Frostgrave you get knights with 14 armour but not in "Darkest Africa." Also created some stats for guns but nothing that radically changes what already exists in the game. The one thing I added to the core rules is that to move into close combat a figure needs to make a Will check of 10+ on a d20 (very similar to something you could do in Frostgrave or Rangers) and if it is on a group activation then the figures can use the leader's or 2ic's Will stat which is usually high and encourages using group moves to charge into a fight.  Leaders can do a group activation that activates more figures before they would normally go (that's straight out of Frostgrave). The campaign rules are more of a mash-up of elements from different games which I mentioned earlier and still a "work in progress."

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2020, 03:59:45 AM »
Game number 3.  After consuming the kudu that Max shot, the expedition is trekking across a clear strip through the forest when they are suddenly ambushed by Ruga Ruga hiding in the treeline. The same group they fought before have tracked them and are seeking revenge.  The clumsy Ruga Ruga make some noise moving through the bush so their attack is not as much of a surprise as it could have been.  The expedition withdraws in the opposite direction shooting and moving into the other treeline.  While the old Boer Max once again displays his marksmanship by dropping a Ruga Ruga, Mr. Rowlands can't hit the broad side of a baobab tree and runs off into the bush.  Given the short range and poor shooting skills of the Ruga Ruga, most of the expedition safely make it out of the area (off the table) therefore winning its first game in this forest fringe zone.  Two Askari got lost turn up unhurt and Uncle Max gains a level using it to further refine his shooting skill.

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2020, 04:07:35 AM »
Post game encounters: After successfully escaping the ambush, the expedition almost had an unpleasant run-in with a poisonous snake which they managed to avoid through some good survival skills.  The explorers then entered a village where the local chief initially appeared very friendly but Mr. Rowlands managed to alienate him with some rude behavior so now the enemy will have a slightly larger force on the next game.  It could have easily gone the other way had Mr. Rowlands exercised some diplomacy.  Not surprisingly, as the expedition departed the village, two arrows shot out from some bush narrowly missing two of the askari.  It seemed like a warning not to return.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2020, 04:22:38 AM »
Thanks Christian.  The core rules for movement, shooting, combat etc are all taken from Frostgrave/Rangers of Shadow Deep.  For instance, instead of phases for wizard, apprentice and soldiers, I have phases for leaders, assistant leaders and soldiers (same thing). I created Frostgrave type stats for a bunch of different types of characters like explorers, askari, warriors, ruga ruga etc.  The only thing that seems odd is the armour stat as everyone is either 10 armour (no armour) or 11 (shield only).  In Frostgrave you get knights with 14 armour but not in "Darkest Africa." Also created some stats for guns but nothing that radically changes what already exists in the game. The one thing I added to the core rules is that to move into close combat a figure needs to make a Will check of 10+ on a d20 (very similar to something you could do in Frostgrave or Rangers) and if it is on a group activation then the figures can use the leader's or 2ic's Will stat which is usually high and encourages using group moves to charge into a fight.  Leaders can do a group activation that activates more figures before they would normally go (that's straight out of Frostgrave). The campaign rules are more of a mash-up of elements from different games which I mentioned earlier and still a "work in progress."

This is really interesting! Is there anything you do to spice up the "Wizard" and "Apprentice" without magic?

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2020, 05:52:38 AM »
The "leader" (wizard) and the "assistant leader" (apprentice) are essentially heroes who gain experience and advance in levels to improve their capabilities. Based on the Rangers game, I created a set of abilities (mostly help in combat/shooting), skills (mostly help in between game encounters) and stat improvements that can be taken and increased as they go up levels. Another thing is that these heroes can be explorers, warriors, ruga ruga etc who get +3 Health, a free ability and a free skill at level 0 if the leader (the main hero) or +1 Health and a free skill to start if the assistant leader (a secondary hero).   I add +10 points to make a normal guy into a hero.  I have only tried this so far with explorers as the player "heroes" but during the games the enemy always has an heroic type leader and assistant leader as well and they are slightly better than the normal troops.  It makes the turn sequence more like Frostgrave and a little more complex than Rangers but it seems to work.

Oh, one thing that is missing is items that can be found. The explorers, askari etc have their set weapons but I am not sure how to incorporate special items or if it is necessary.  Maybe it could be something like a compass to give a bonus to the Navigation skill or an elephant gun to help with the Great White Hunter skill. Still thinking about it.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2020, 10:30:43 AM »
Very interesting mash-up, I am following with interest. And the miniatures are charming.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline bazookajoe

• Librarian
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2020, 06:29:56 AM »
Thanks Vodafan

Game 4: Waking up at the crack of dawn in a small village on the edge of the forest, the expedition members hear war cries from outside the enclosure and realize they are under attack.  They rush to the barricade to to see Azande warriors charging at them.  A few Azande are shot down but they are too close and many jump or climb over the old cattle kraal and begin wreaking havoc inside the settlement.  Many askari go down and the Azande war chief stabs Mr. Rowlands in the foot putting him out of action.  Uncle Max and few survivors escape by jumping over the other side of the stockade.  Most of the expedition members eventually emerge from the trees but Rowlands now has a permanent injury (lost toe!) which reduces his movement.  With that sore arm from a previous unfortunate fight, he is looking worse for wear and Max wonders why he bothered to follow this crazy Welshman into the "Heart of Afrika."  After this latest disaster, the expedition almost suffers hunger given their supplies remained in the village but they find some game to fill their bellies, and a plague of locusts seems like the last straw. They are not having the best luck!

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2020, 06:33:30 AM »
Another cool looking game I like your cattle kraal fencing.