Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:07:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tlingit: northwest coast North America - Varang update p13  (Read 26952 times)

Offline Askellad

• Scientist
Re: Tlingit: northwest coast North America - Tlingit canoe and Russians page 10
« Reply #165 on: February 20, 2021, 11:08:11 PM »
So original, so fresh, so wow!

o_o

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #166 on: February 28, 2021, 09:04:44 PM »
My article about the Tlingit has made it into the latest Wargames Illustrated, issue 399, March 2021. Very chuffed to have got such an obscure subject into print and models to go with it!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #167 on: February 28, 2021, 09:39:08 PM »
Congratulations.

Offline Askellad

• Scientist
My article about the Tlingit has made it into the latest Wargames Illustrated, issue 399, March 2021. Very chuffed to have got such an obscure subject into print and models to go with it!

I have it in my own hands! Congrats! 8 Pages!

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
I read the article online yesterday and it has inspired me to finally start painting the Tlingit that arrived with me last September.
I left it so long that the obscure thing that I bought has become mainstream   lol

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
I read the article online yesterday and it has inspired me to finally start painting the Tlingit that arrived with me last September.
I left it so long that the obscure thing that I bought has become mainstream   lol

Ha ha!  That’s great news. Please post pics when you have done some.  I’m still planning the next phase of the project and have about another forty Tlingit to get through before I start thinking about buildings etc!

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
A little video telling the story of the Tlingit attack on the Russians on Nuchek Island in 1792 has appeared on the Wargames Illustrated YouTube channel. Here’s the link;

https://youtu.be/RT6hbvymut0

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind

Congratulations! That number would not yet seem to have reached the shelves here, but I am going to look for it until I find a copy.

By the way, have you come across any references which include hull lines for Tlingit canoes? I may want to try my hand at carving a 1:56 scale one out of pine or some other softwood.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
By the way, have you come across any references which include hull lines for Tlingit canoes? I may want to try my hand at carving a 1:56 scale one out of pine or some other softwood.

That would be amazing to see.  I was considering having a go at scratch building mine but ended up ordering the metal ones, partially for speed and partially out of curiosity. 

Here’s some pics I’ve put together.  The profiles are from the Osprey ‘American Indians of the Pacific Northwest’ plus some photos and images that you may have seen before.  Also enclosed a couple of photos of the Varang canoe in its raw state.  I think the shape is good but the benches have been left out, although that does make it easier to fit figures inside it for gaming purposes.

I suspect that this would be a perfect thing to do on a 3D printer, but have not seen a file for this kind of canoe.

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
James, that is just crazy good!  :o

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
That would be amazing to see.  I was considering having a go at scratch building mine but ended up ordering the metal ones, partially for speed and partially out of curiosity. 

[much helpful information]

I suspect that this would be a perfect thing to do on a 3D printer, but have not seen a file for this kind of canoe.

Thank you! Yes, using 3D files would seem to be displacing scratch-building. Perhaps, there might be a way of importing hull lines into a 3D design application, but I wouldn't know where to begin learning 3D design...

Online 3Fingers2

• Librarian
I stumbled across the article while looking at a vsf one . Out of interest how easy was it to order the miniatures in from Russia ?  How easy an more importantly the costs are .
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 09:12:45 AM by 3Fingers2 »

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
I stumbled across the article while looking at a vsf one . Out of interest how easy was it to order the miniatures in from Russia ?  How easy an more importantly the costs are .

I guess that probably depends where you are.  I’m in the uk and placed 3 orders last year, which took between 3 and 5 weeks to arrive (5 weeks at the height of the first lockdown).   Postal costs were quite reasonable IIRC. All orders were sent tracked and very well packaged. The best thing to do is message Varang on Facebook and ask for a quote.  One thing their site is lacking is individual order codes, but I just told him which figures I wanted and he put an invoice together for me.

Online 3Fingers2

• Librarian
Thanks James uk based as well 👍

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
I found some drawings of canoe lines:

https://donsmaps.com/canoedesigns.html