Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:35:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tlingit: northwest coast North America - Varang update p13  (Read 27340 times)

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
Re: Tlingit: northwest coast North America
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2020, 09:35:35 AM »
Apologies for the slight thread Hijack - but does anyone know if the PNW tribes were still wearing armour in the 1850s/1860s?
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Raza Decon

• Bookworm
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2020, 06:58:53 PM »
Apologies for the slight thread Hijack - but does anyone know if the PNW tribes were still wearing armour in the 1850s/1860s?

Yes, the Tlingit and Haida wore armor until the 1870s give or take when wide spread conflict between First Nations and Settlers in the PNW ended. Largely The PNW first nations were not much of a threat to settlers after that. Lots of reasons for that with small pox and other epidemics being the main cause. The Canadian government at the time considered the first nations of the PNW a dyeing race and did not consider them an issue. They relocated the remaining first nations they came across to reservations with little conflict. The Tlingit and Haida were some of the last tribes to hold outs.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 07:05:11 PM by Raza Decon »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2020, 05:05:53 AM »
Here are some battles and conflicts that you might want to look up

Puget Sound War 1855-1856 - Americans vs Nisqually
Battle of Port Gamble 1859 - Americans vs Tlingit and Haida
Battle of Seattle 1859 - Americans vs Nisqually
Battle of Sitka 1804 - Russians vs Tlingit
The Nootka Crisis 1789 - Spanish vs British vs Nootka
Awa'uq Massacre 1784 - Russian vs Aleutian
The Lamalcha War 1863 - British/ Canadians vs Hwlitsum
Chilcotin War 1864 - Canadian vs Chilcotin
Here's another one my son just told me about: the Fraser Canyon War (link).

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #93 on: July 30, 2020, 08:38:03 AM »
Here’s the latest from the painting table. All Varang Miniatures, photo background is a download from Jon Hodgson Maps.

This batch includes a shaman in full raven costume and a totem pole (a bit undersized but fun to paint). Also included is Katlian, war leader during the Sitka battles of 1802 and 1804, wearing his distinctive raven helmet and carrying his blacksmith’s hammer. The red tunic was my own addition, but I read that red cloth was highly valued by the Tlingit so it didn’t seem too fanciful (plus it will help to identify him on the table).

Another thing I picked up recently was that the bow was fired horizontally rather than vertically- fortunately, the figures come with a separate bow with the hand moulded on which simply glues into a hole on the left wrist. Great design by Varang minis!

It strikes me that the two unarmoured figures would easily serve as other tribes - Eyak, Haida etc.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:42:43 AM by James Morris »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #94 on: July 30, 2020, 08:46:32 AM »
Brilliant work- really vibrant and sort of gritty at once  :-* :-* :-*

I love the refercne to the black smiths hammer- was it precious as an object or as both an object and a weapon?

As for loosing the bow horizontally, I don't think that this would effect the trajectory of the arrow as you're effectively nocking the bow in the normal manner ie over/around the thumb

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #95 on: July 30, 2020, 08:56:01 AM »
Those are wonderfully done..Also here is Model of Ft.Sitka.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #96 on: July 30, 2020, 03:42:33 PM »
Those are fantastic! I imagine there are many others readers contemplating this project, now, as well...  :o

Mike Demana

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Re: Tlingit: northwest coast North America - more painted minis Page 7
« Reply #97 on: July 31, 2020, 09:31:02 AM »
I believe there are several truly original and worthy projects running through this forum at the moment and this is definitely one of them. What a great subject and execution. I really admire your work. Thank you for sharing and keeping us updated.

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #98 on: July 31, 2020, 09:36:51 AM »
These are excellent figures and excellent painting. I am sorely tempted to order some.

Looking on their Facebook page, it looks like you can only order the whole range as one package - is that good value for money?

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2020, 01:40:26 AM »
Those are wonderfully done..Also here is Model of Ft.Sitka.

That model is interesting - it looks as though there are some wooden palisades enclosing the far side. Actually,
i suppose that the Russians would have built wooden fortifications and other structures that were much as elsewhere in their empire.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2020, 08:45:14 AM »
These are excellent figures and excellent painting. I am sorely tempted to order some.

Looking on their Facebook page, it looks like you can only order the whole range as one package - is that good value for money?

Thank you! The way to order is to send them a message.  Both times I have ordered, I’ve just specified how many figures I want and which types and he’s sent me a price and shipping costs.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2020, 09:35:02 AM »
I believe there are several truly original and worthy projects running through this forum at the moment and this is definitely one of them. What a great subject and execution. I really admire your work. Thank you for sharing and keeping us updated.

Thank you, it’s great to know you are enjoying it.  I’m delighted that so many knowledgeable folk have pitched in as well to help out. For all the vitriol and rubbish out there, LAF remains an oasis of helpfulness on the interweb.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2020, 10:22:23 AM »
Thank you, it’s great to know you are enjoying it.  I’m delighted that so many knowledgeable folk have pitched in as well to help out. For all the vitriol and rubbish out there, LAF remains an oasis of helpfulness on the interweb.

Well said that man! It's a haven of sanity and manners. Not so much with some of the other social media outlets. :)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2020, 06:00:03 PM »
Brilliant work- really vibrant and sort of gritty at once  :-* :-* :-*

I love the refercne to the black smiths hammer- was it precious as an object or as both an object and a weapon?

As for loosing the bow horizontally, I don't think that this would effect the trajectory of the arrow as you're effectively nocking the bow in the normal manner ie over/around the thumb

Thanks Darrell! If I recall correctly, Katlian grabbed a Russian blacksmith’s hammer and used it as a weapon in the first Sitka battle in 1802; thereafter it became his trademark weapon (I sound like I’m writing a video game character here...signature moves and all that).

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2020, 06:04:17 PM »
Thanks Darrell! If I recall correctly, Katlian grabbed a Russian blacksmith’s hammer and used it as a weapon in the first Sitka battle in 1802; thereafter it became his trademark weapon

Blimey!  :o  Well, if that was his thing  :)

sound like I’m writing a video game character here...signature moves and all that.

lol