Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:05:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686495
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tlingit: northwest coast North America - Varang update p13  (Read 26950 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Tlingit: northwest coast North America
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2020, 05:59:18 PM »
James, if that image of the Tlingit canoe is accurate this has all the makings of a visually stunning game!!

Hmmm... was that hint strong enough?  ;) :)

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2020, 02:35:02 PM »
I agree...this is going to look awesome on the tabletop!  :o

Mike Demana

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2020, 08:42:50 PM »
I agree...this is going to look awesome on the tabletop!  :o

Mike Demana

Plans are afoot!
But probably a way off.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2020, 09:42:39 PM »
Plans are afoot!
But probably a way off.

It'll be worth it. I just hope I can actually venture out of the house before the show circuit starts again.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2020, 07:30:22 AM »
 two more painting s set in 1788 of a Russian Galiot "Three Saints"and Frigate being towed w/ the help of Tlingit canoes by Mark R. Myers
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 09:35:21 PM by juergen c. olk »

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2020, 05:50:30 PM »
Great, off the beaten path, figures and wonderful paintjobs.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2020, 06:09:21 PM »
two more painting s set in 1788 of a Russian Galiot and Frigate being towed w/ the help of Tlingit canoes by Mark R. Myers
Those are cool paintings! Thank you very much.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2020, 05:33:58 PM »
I've picked some of these up as well and am thinking about trying to do a Muskets and Tomahawks conversion. I am trying to hammer out what would be a plausible (if not historical) list of factions to make things a bit more varied an interesting. Obviously Russian Promyshlenniki but what about Hudson Bay soldiers and Inuit in addition to Aleuts? This gives you two regular forces with which to band varied native allies and mirrors the structure of the FIW in terms of the army lists in Muskets and Tomahawks. What would be good figures for the Hudson Bay soldiers? Maybe Wellington in India or early Napoleonic ranges? Or what about French Courier de Bois for scouts/trapper types? Muskets are probably too outdated? Just brainstorming...

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2020, 09:30:24 PM »
I've picked some of these up as well and am thinking about trying to do a Muskets and Tomahawks conversion. I am trying to hammer out what would be a plausible (if not historical) list of factions to make things a bit more varied an interesting. Obviously Russian Promyshlenniki but what about Hudson Bay soldiers and Inuit in addition to Aleuts? This gives you two regular forces with which to band varied native allies and mirrors the structure of the FIW in terms of the army lists in Muskets and Tomahawks. What would be good figures for the Hudson Bay soldiers? Maybe Wellington in India or early Napoleonic ranges? Or what about French Courier de Bois for scouts/trapper types? Muskets are probably too outdated? Just brainstorming...

That's great, have yours arrived yet?  I just received another 50 warriors and a canoe from Varang.  My intention is definitely to work up some M&T lists.  I've got some ideas about the other possible factions, I'll come back and post those when I have time.

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2020, 03:11:10 PM »
No. Still waiting. Shipments from Russia always take a long time to the US but these days an eternity. Varang provided excellent communication though and tracking info.

That's great, have yours arrived yet?  I just received another 50 warriors and a canoe from Varang.  My intention is definitely to work up some M&T lists.  I've got some ideas about the other possible factions, I'll come back and post those when I have time.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2020, 05:49:30 AM »
My first Varang order took 5 weeks to get to the UK, my second one 3 weeks. You’re right though, great communication and tracking info. In terms of other tribal models suitable for the area, I was considering Paymaster Games of Seattle but am awaiting more pictures of their warriors first.

Shame the old Copplestone Inuit are out of production.

Russians I don’t really know enough about and need to do some uniform research.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2020, 06:06:13 AM »
Russans   you would need Suvarov era Russians...but also..anything w/ fur caps and overcoats...I know STP miniatures out of Russia makes that era Russians..

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2020, 04:40:15 AM »
If you’re interested in doing skirmish, Song of Drums and Tomahawks can be played with 6-12 figs per player, easily. It should adapt very easily to the Pacific Northwest with lots of ways to customize warriors or Europeans.

Mike Demana

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2020, 07:44:09 PM »
Just seen these for the first time.  Excellent painting as always James and a for a theme I knew next to nothing about.  Those figures are great, both the sculpting and the subject.  What amazing armour!  Sadly Facebook saw through my cunning ruse and banned me, so I can't check out the link.   

Eureka do some nice Suvarov era Russians Link.  I have some of the STP Russian Civil War figures and they are great.  Quite large, so they fit will well with copplestones but I can't say if the 18th C stuff is the same.

Always worth checking out what you're up to.  :)

Offline Raza Decon

• Bookworm
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2020, 05:35:05 PM »
Thanks for sharing a link to my store. I have several PNW Spirit Beast (monsters) as well.

Human forces - https://www.paymastergames.com/pacific-northwest-tribes
Spirit Beast models - https://www.paymastergames.com/northern-spirit-beasts

Allot of the heroes are based off of old Photos that I have come across in my research. They are a mix of allot of different PNW peoples. The PNW Witch Hunter is Tlingit for sure. Although the other heroes from the line would not be out of place in a Tlingit army or force. The Totem Men and High Collars are based off of Tlingit and Haida armored traditions and style, including Coin Mail armor on the several High Collar bodies. The Totem Men and High Collars are multi-part models with lots of options on how to build your unit including 10 different head, or helmet options depending on the unit you pick.

The basic Warrior is is a conglomerate of different PWN peoples. The common troopers are armed with traditional weapons, Whale Bone Swords and "Tlingit" Daggers, Spears, Harpoons and Bows. These are muli-part models, so the models are a bit uniform but their is a lot of variety in heads. I am always working on increasing the amount of bits for these units to make them more interesting. I have included a model based on the pre-contact navel tactic of attaching rocks to ropes that a person would use to sink canoes and Kayaks.

I have worked quite hard at this. trying to think of everything I can. I had created command models so units would not out of sorts with other armies on the battlefield.

I have a lot of ideas for the near future for my PNW line, my question is - what would you like to see added to the line? New heroes, single model warrior models, post contact muskets, Swivel Guns, and/ or Cannons. Do you have a old photo or picture that might make a good PNW model?

Please let me know - Thanks.
Raza w/ Paymaster Games