Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:45:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tlingit: northwest coast North America - Varang update p13  (Read 26954 times)

Offline Raven1

• Lurker
OK, I've given in an my order of Tlingit have arrived, are undercoated, one batch have head swaps etc and are awaiting painting. I have been waiting since the late 80's for a manufacturer to do this in 25 /28mm so I thought I'd share with you the article that sparked my interest all those years ago.

Offline Raven1

• Lurker
and more:

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Wow, fabulous colour plates!  Any chance you could scan the whole article?

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Some new models on the workbench in preparation for a Battle of Sitka game.  Varang Miniatures are great for head and helmet swaps - they also do some separate helmets which makes life very easy!  About forty of these guys in preparation tonight.

On TWD’s suggestion, I’ve also had a look at using the Frostgrave barbarians as a basis for more northwest coast tribes.  So far, so good I think.  Clothing is slightly fantastical but should look ok when painted.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Nice conversions on the Tlingit metals and and some super use of the Barbarians.  Can't wait to see these painted up.

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Paint is now going on, albeit slowly as real life is really in the way right now!
I’ve gone for a whiter vibe for the colours of the Russian allied native Americans (Aleuts/ Kodiak) to differentiate them from the Tlingit on the tabletop. Paint is 80% GW Contrasts with some thinning and highlights.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Simply excellent  :-*

It has to be one of my favourite's out of the whole gamut of your excellent projects James. OK, the Early Medieval/Sub roman stuff will always come first for me; but having said that this is an extraordinarily original subject matter and such a wonderful collection of models and scenery 8)

Online marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Great painting and I appreciate your persistence in this off the beaten track project. Not my period but I always check in to see the good stuff you are putting out here.
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Good idea adjusting the paint schemes to make it easier for players to differentiate on the tabletop. My favorite in that regard was one of my French & Indian War native vs. native scenarios. I told the players one side was "shirts" and the other side was "skins." One side used my miniatures that had shirts on and the other side used my bare-chested native Americans.  lol

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Good idea adjusting the paint schemes to make it easier for players to differentiate on the tabletop. My favorite in that regard was one of my French & Indian War native vs. native scenarios. I told the players one side was "shirts" and the other side was "skins." One side used my miniatures that had shirts on and the other side used my bare-chested native Americans.  lol

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Shirts and skins - sometimes the old ways are the best!  I remember falling foul of this many years ago, when my 15mm Dark Ages collection was TOO subtle.  Since then, I've gone for slightly exaggerated flags, clothing, shields and colour schemes to keep things easy to spot on the table!  lol

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
So...I still have around 60 Tlingit and Aleut half-finished on the painting table, disrupted by work and other things.

However, things are moving in Moscow, and Varang Miniatures have started the next phase of their ranges.  Vselevod is currently sculpting Russians which he plans to have separate heads for (I thoroughly approve).  No release date or anything on these, but here's some of his updates from Facebook in case you don't follow him there.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tlingit: northwest coast North America - Varang update p13
« Reply #191 on: August 01, 2021, 12:29:27 PM »
Nice coversions.

Offline 3Fingers2

• Librarian
« Reply #192 on: August 01, 2021, 12:50:06 PM »
I would love to do some of these for sci fi conversions they are so characterful .

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #193 on: August 02, 2021, 07:35:51 PM »
@3Fingers2... Ed at Battle Valor Games bought the old Sgt Majors 28mm ranges and there are a couple packs of Inuits in there, some with bows and some with rifles, my memory is they seem more modern than the Tlingits, and a few packs of figures called Winter Soldiers or Winter Warriors, or some such, that are vey much like Cossacks, mounted and dismounted, but with more futurisitc weapons. Maybe something for you and something that can serve as basis for some more of James great conversions.

I so like this thread.

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
« Reply #194 on: May 21, 2022, 03:11:20 PM »
delete