Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:55:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for a review on Dux Britanniarum and thoughts on Saga please?  (Read 4619 times)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Hi, I've played both SAGA 1st edition and the 2FL's "Dux". Both are small unit/skirmish games which only need circa 40 figures to game with. 2FL's Dux has a built-in campaign systems which seems to add more "interest" to the game, albeit my group of gamers have never managed to really get into it. In essence both try to do the same thing with either the SAGA battleboard or the Dux card-hand adding some random "fog-of-war".

I think both Dux Bellorum and Comitatus are "bigger battle" rulesets, albeit Dark age battles weren't that big by classical standards. I haven't played either but I think Dan Mersey's set is one of the better Osprey offerings ( previously released as "Glutter of Ravens?), and is unashamedly aimed at the "Arthurian Period". Simon McDowell is a well known gamer and author on the Late Roman period. Indeed I first met him at a Society of Ancients Conference back in the mid-'80s . He knows his stuff and I am sure anything he writes will be good. For some strange reason I never did but Comitatus.       

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
previously released as "Glutter of Ravens?     

Same author, different set of rules though there are some similarities but not many IMHO.

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
I will note that the specialty dice are not required for SAGA.  They look nicer, but there are translations to a regular six-sided that is true for all factions.

The rare symbol is a 6, the next two are 4 and 5, then the common is 1-3.

When I gave out battleboards and a 4-point faction to some friends I printed out the numbers and laminated them over the battleboards so they would not need the specialty dice.

Conversely, blank dice with some stickers and a pen can fill in (I have dice for Late Roman, Norman, Viking, Milites Christi, Anglo-Dane, Magic, and Scottish that are all hand done this way.  I own zero sets of the Gripping Beast versions)
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
Thanks for that Maniac, the dice are what initially turned me off from this game and the cards from the Lardies Dark Age game. I have started to paint the Sub Roman Brits and in the future will probably go with Saga... making the dice is a much preferable option than spending £12 per set as I play solo, that's a great tip, thanks.

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
Thanks for that Maniac, the dice are what initially turned me off from this game and the cards from the Lardies Dark Age game. I have started to paint the Sub Roman Brits and in the future will probably go with Saga... making the dice is a much preferable option than spending £12 per set as I play solo, that's a great tip, thanks.
Another way to deal with this, is print out a set of the symbols, then when you roll your traditional dice saga dice pool, you can cross reference them to the symbols and use that pool of symbols to place on the battleboard.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
These alternative dice options are all true - but having tried several of them, I would still suggest spend the £10-12 to get a set of dice.

Offline HardrivenRC

• Schoolboy
Re: Looking for a review on Dux Britanniarum and thoughts on Saga please?
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2020, 10:26:57 PM »
I know the thread is a few month old, but I've played a lot of Dux Brittaniarum and love the game. But it needs to be played as a campaign to get to it's full potential.

With the lock down and clubs here have not been allowed to convene since march this year I decided to make a table to be used in Tabletop Simulator.
So now I'm looking for gamers who want to give it go.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2020, 11:31:11 PM »
The guys from the Northern Tempest Saga Podcast have put a Solo play scenario on the Studio Tomahawk Forum

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/studiotomahawk/solo-play-saga-t8285.html#p53634

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2020, 10:46:40 AM »
I can't seem to get my head around the Osprey Dark age set nor the Dux set which needs cards , I would like to see a vid or watch people play it before I went any further with this set.

I will certainly be watching a lot of youtube over the next few days. Indeed painting is moving on with three units done but I am awaiting the sabot bases before I start gluing them down. The cold weather means no outdoor chores during the holidays, just hobby time.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 10:48:15 AM by ulverston »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2020, 12:09:34 PM »
I can't seem to get my head around the Osprey Dark age set nor the Dux set which needs cards , I would like to see a vid or watch people play it before I went any further with this set.

What is available online via YouTube is unusually limited for the Too Fat Lardies who are usually so efficient at such things. Just look up Infamy, Infamy! their set of 'Ancients' rules (for the Very Late Rebublican/Early Imperial Romans in Europe, Large skirmish) which is lavishly covered.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2020, 05:25:48 PM »
Atheling I know what you mean by lavish coverage! Looking for anything remotely Roman on the net and the Lardies turn up with Infamy LOL. I actually enjoy almost anything they produce and listen to their podcasts but I do wish they would cover their other sets a little more....having said that they probably work 23 hours a day as it is.

I think as I will be using Hail Caesar I will base my figures on 40mm squares. Should I decide on another set later I will just buy more figures!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2020, 07:55:29 PM »
Atheling I know what you mean by lavish coverage! Looking for anything remotely Roman on the net and the Lardies turn up with Infamy LOL. I actually enjoy almost anything they produce and listen to their podcasts but I do wish they would cover their other sets a little more....having said that they probably work 23 hours a day as it is.

I'm sure they do. Their work ethic for getting rules out is quite amazing.

I think as I will be using Hail Caesar I will base my figures on 40mm squares. Should I decide on another set later I will just buy more figures!

That temptation is ever present  ;) :)

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
Well just to update the kind people who replied to this thread and gave advice. It has only taken me over a year to get around to making a decision and I have bought the Viking starter set from Gripping Beast.
So now some plastic Vikings can join the large mob of (thankfully) painted Dark Age figures in my collection.
I have been watching a really good Chap on Youtube explain the rules (Wargames Hobby) and now I suppose all those hours watching Saga Thorsday may start to make sense.
Thanks for the help.... see you in plastic Valhalla at some point.