Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:07:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690934
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 704
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Baron's War  (Read 2844 times)

Offline Oldboy

• Librarian
Baron's War
« on: May 10, 2020, 08:12:31 AM »
Good morning all.
Like a ot of people, I guess, I have been seduced by the Footsore Barons war figures. Please can anyone recommend a good book that would cover both the background to the wars and the battles. I assume there was no order of battle as such as in later wars but an idea of the nobles involved and the sides they were on. Also if it's not too much sources for heraldry and 'uniforms'
Many thanks in advance.
Frank

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
Re: Baron's War
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 08:59:39 AM »
About 20 pages into lewes and evesham by Richard Brooks and Osprey. Seems okay so far plenty of maps and illustrations.
Then got John Sadlers Second Barons War to go at after that.
Good look
chimpfoots-tavern.blogspot.com

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 09:21:17 AM »
This booklet, from the Lance and Longbow Society, is superb. Covers the war, battles and the heraldry of the major characters:
The Baron's War 1264-1267
https://lanceandlongbow.com/shop/publication.php?ID=Pub-040

Available here:
https://lanceandlongbow.com/shop.php

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 09:53:36 AM »
This website is alson interesting.

http://earlyblazon.com/

Let us know what character + retinue / warband you will paint.

I planning to do atleast 3 warbands with their upcoming ruleset in mind. The leaders will be:
  • Count Frederik III von Vianden
  • Lord Mathieu II de Montmorency
  • Count Henri II de Bar
But those warbands aren't really for the barons wars.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 09:58:17 AM by Tonhel »

Offline Oldboy

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 10:10:28 AM »
Thank you all for the info. I will order the books and peruse the links.
F

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 10:48:21 AM »
Thank you all for the info. I will order the books and peruse the links.
F

No probs. Enjoy this fascinating 'period' of History :)

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 11:30:04 AM »
If you are interested in the First Baron's War (given one of the miniatures is for King John, etc) then I'd suggest  "Blood Cries Afar: The Forgotten Invasion of England 1216" by Sean McGlynn (the Kindle digital version is only £3.63 a the moment) and Medieval Warfare magazine Vol VII issue 2 "A War for England, The Battle of Lincoln 1217.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 02:06:02 PM »
About 20 pages into lewes and evesham by Richard Brooks and Osprey. Seems okay so far plenty of maps and illustrations.
Then got John Sadlers Second Barons War to go at after that.

To avoid confusion, Footsore’s range is 1st Barons War and those books are 2nd Baron’s War,  some 50 years later.

I’ve been reading King John by Stephen Church as a good overall history of the period.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 02:08:50 PM »
To avoid confusion, Footsore’s range is 1st Barons War and those books are 2nd Baron’s War,  some 50 years later.

I’ve been reading King John by Stephen Church as a good overall history of the period.

Good point, I just piped in with the SBW L&LB Soc. book as someone mentioned that conflict :)

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 03:28:27 PM »
Sorry my bad :-[

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 03:37:44 PM »
I found “ King John: Treachery, Tyranny and the Road to Magna Carta” by Marc Morris gave me a good overview.

Steve

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 06:21:23 PM »
Any book about William Marshal is helpful too.  In his later life he was a central figure in the first Baron's war.  The Bouvines War on the continent is my favorite part of the period though.  The figures all work great for that as well. 

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 07:28:24 AM »
Good morning all.
Like a ot of people, I guess, I have been seduced by the Footsore Barons war figures. Please can anyone recommend a good book that would cover both the background to the wars and the battles. I assume there was no order of battle as such as in later wars but an idea of the nobles involved and the sides they were on. Also if it's not too much sources for heraldry and 'uniforms'
Many thanks in advance.
Frank

The Footsore figures are designed for the first Barons war, I concentrate on the battles in France around Maine, Normandy and Brittany in the early part of the war, up to the invasion of Louis (plus the figures suit the albigensian crusade and the Breton border clashes).

Books not much I am afraid compared to other periods in my collection I have

Scotland, England and France After the Loss of Normandy, 1204-1296

Louis: The French Prince who Invaded England, By Catherine Hanley.

Blood Cries Afar: The Forgotten Invasion of England 1216 By Sean McGlynn (best one imho)

Lionheart and Lackland: King Richard, King John and the Wars of Conquest By Frank McLynn

The Greatest Knight: The Remarkable Life of William Marshal, the Power . By Thomas Asbridge

A few orders of battle exist, Herald rolls and Arrière ban plus the fine rolls but much searching to find them.

I plan to have a Armorial brochure complete for a few of the key battles plus Arrière ban lists for each region that I have pulled together over the last ten years. I have also armorial forwarded a document to Footsore who will possibly release with the rules.

Cheers
Matt
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 07:42:38 AM by bluewillow »

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 09:07:01 AM »
That’s a useful list, I might need some of those.

Sorry my bad :-[

Not so much ‘bad’ as ‘over-enthusiastic’ :) and I’m saying that as the man who’s got both Baron’s Wars partly painted up and really ought to finish the 2nd before he gets properly into the 1st!

Offline Oldboy

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 09:27:31 AM »
Thank you for your help. I now have 'Blood cries afar' on kindle and what I have read is useful. I have no knowledge of the medieval periods and will try to get used to the various personalities and armour fashions. I will place a small order with Footsore to start me off.
As an aside any ideas re solo skirmish type rules or at least 20 figure upwards per side.
F