Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:50:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mad Maximillian 'Pursuit Car '  (Read 1631 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Mad Maximillian 'Pursuit Car '
« on: May 15, 2020, 09:56:36 PM »
Another lockdown musing.

Ian at Fighting 15's. Kindly sent me a copy of a Mad Maximillian pursuit car.(incidentally one of the most pleasant companies to deal with. I've come across.)

It's not a suprize to most but I've tweaked it.No other reason than , in it's original form at roughly 16cm long it's simply too big for my table( well the roads).

Then add a nine year old who's apparently been thinking, and thing's start to get a little more involved than you intended.

So the end result is now in 28mm terms roughly the same length as a Roll Royce Silver Ghost 18ft (ish), And not the 27ft(ish) of the Golden Arrow landspeed record car .Which I'm pretty sure is the inspiration for the original kit.
Which I alway thought would make a great Doc Savage car.
Just for the sheer joy of not painting military colour schemes for I change . I thought I'd nod towards the original car and go with a gold colour scheme.
Mark

« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 06:08:50 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Mad Maximillian 'Pursuit Car '
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 02:08:21 AM »
Cool piece. The driver in particular is exzellent.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 02:19:00 AM »
Nice! I went with a slightly different take with mine. I’ll pop it up tomorrow,with some others :)
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 03:10:56 AM »
Glorious.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 07:53:22 AM »
Very nice!!! :)

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 08:12:25 AM »
Vroom VROOM!  How does it turn though?

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 08:33:06 AM »
That really works - I definitely prefer your's to the original.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 10:22:09 AM »
Wonderful piece and beautifully painted.  :-* :-*

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 07:10:40 PM »
Cheers Chaps,

It's probably even less of a suprize but..My youngest hasn't let me get away with just remodeling the driver.
The only thing left to do (and fit in) other than painting is to re-work the dog . To match his 'Pepper dog'.
Under advisement I have had to re-work the figure with the petrol cans too." So he has a hat like that man with Arabs".(I took that to mean Laurence.I'm sure I'll be informed inshort order if I've misinterpreted the brief.)

I did quite like the original version of the car .As it's a good representation and casting interpretation of the 1929 'Golden arrow' car.By a very competent CAD modeler.(if I remember rightly is a forum member)
It was simply to big for my table. That combined with the niggling casting issue's with my copy .(such as a resin pour so full of micro bubbles that holes were still visible after five coats of rattle can under coat.(( you can still see some in the pictures))bit of a pain as I prefer to use a hairdryer when speed painting . Which led to a few micro bubbles just below the resin surface popping when heat was applied.99% were easily filled with paint as I went . Sod's law the most prominent one is on top of the fin. Which imploded after I'd finished painting.
But the clinching imperfection was the warp in the rear section. It's definitely not  post production warping As it runs from the joint of two CAD sections in the casting master and deforms within the warped area.Its either the mould wasn't set level or the casting was pulled a little early.
In the full length model the kink was blatantly obvious. But tweaking ,and reducing it's length. and adding more detailng to the front end draws your eye away from the problem. It's still three millimetres off the plain of the entire side .
So I'm quite intrigued to see Blackwolf's take on the car. Mainly because I enjoy seeing how other people. Interpret ,and tackle the same project. As being familiar with the detailing on their model I tend to find I appreciate and enjoy their efforts . More than I do for a random figure I've not see before.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 08:09:22 PM »
I did quite like the original version of the car .As it's a good representation and casting interpretation of the 1929 'Golden arrow' car.By a very competent CAD modeler. (if I remember rightly is a forum member)

Guilty as charged. The Maximillian cars were my first paid sculpt commission. They are full of flaws I would have approached differently today, but all in all, I'm not ashamed of them just yet.

I really like what you did with the arrow. It is a long beast! We went back and forth a bit on what to do with it, but Nic at Eureka is the kind of fellow who will go for the silly long car any time and I respect him for that. The Maximillian rulebook actually includes a specific rule for extra-long vehicles inspired by this beast specifically.

I'm sorry to hear about the casting quallity issues.  :? If nothing else, the warping might explain how a famous land speed vehicle ended up in the hand of some shady character?

Cheers,
Tim
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline GDonk

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 09:20:06 PM »
Brilliant - love it.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 10:02:19 PM »
Well his a rather dapper chap... 

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2020, 10:29:15 PM »
Once again cheers chaps.

Tim ,
I knew you'd sculpted it . But I couldn't remember your username. ;D

The kink has nothing to do with your work . It's the next bloke down the assembly line. Who's dropped a clanger.
Besides I allow a little asymmetry in the vehicle's I sculpt simply to complement the figures I sculpt and give a continuity of styling. So I'm happy to live it. The gold colour every now and then ,at the right angle just make the kink glaringly obvious.

I'm genuinely glad you like the way it turned out.I was slightly apprehensive about posting it. I didn't want it a fun lockdown project, to be seen as anything other that it is. A bit of fun evolving my youngest in something I do to relax.
The driver is his Idea of Tin tin as an 'old man' of 50. He had to have a bigger nose and ears .Than the Tin tin I made him a couple of years ago.Because he'd read that as you get older your ears and nose keep growing .and fifty is old lol (I told him it's not it just feels it trying to get out of bed at six in the morning.)I'm also in trouble for not putting an anchor on his tatty old jumper a it was left to him by Captain Haddock.I really really hoped I'd got away without it. But apparently it needs to be put right by morning, and he'll check when he gets up. lol
Together we did do a little reading up on it . As such three image's really captured the whole Idea.
Unfortunately two are copyrighted .The first is by the automotive artist Paul Dove called 'Golden Arrow' his work has a real Pulp flavour to it. His work is definitely worth looking at for inspiration on painting vehicles.
The second is an Alamy photo no.GAJC4N sort of sums up the issues I'd have had if I'd left it full size on my table.
The one below I think is probably the best one to give you a real sence of just how big the real thing is.( to be fair these will all come up with a google image search for -golden arrow car ;D)

I thought I might just add a little info that might interest you on the actual tweaking .(Appart from the obvious bits)
The radiator wing's on my version are cut down to 36.5mm from lower tip to tip. The tail fin was shortened by 6mm and the nose by 7mm.You made it so you'll know how much I chopped out of the middle.(coz I don't it went straight in the bin! :D)The model is at its original height .But by curving the the lower edges under the model rather than the straight 90° edge of the casting. It appears to be higher off the ground especially with the additional curves to the underside of both the nose and the tail fin.Once I'd shortened the fin It need the side panels shorting by 2mm and a curve reduced into the original square ended panel to restore the proportions of model. As I wanted to keep as near to the original design as possible and compliment it not kitbash it out of existence.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2020, 11:11:17 PM »
I think you did a great job of it, keeping the recognizable shape while making it look a lot more manoeuvrable.

Besides, if anyone ever feels unhappy about their conversion of the arrow, they should look no further than what was done with it in real life.

Now the twin tail is lovely and something I've done for eureka for later variants as well, but whatever is that front grill supposed to be!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 04:38:31 PM »
Now you've mentioned the new tail section . The first thing I thought of was .If you added those  pieces to the full original kit and move the old rear wings to the front of the kit. You could make pretty decent Pulp vigilante vehicle  ;).

I've not had time to paint the final two figures for this set. But they're approved and undercoated so it's a win .