Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:49:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules and basing for Renaissance army  (Read 2944 times)

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Rules and basing for Renaissance army
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2020, 08:45:19 PM »
Ockius, if you are mainly an ancients player I would suggest you try "To the Strongest" (TTS) before diving into "For King and Parliament" (FKaP). Both share the same basic mechanics, but FKaP is more detailed as it is more period specific . My little group of gamers all like TTS, but some think FKaP too detailed for their liking.

I don't know where Mr Miller has got to with his "Renaissance" set.

Interesting, our group couldn't get our heads around TTS at first. We then played FKaP - and really enjoy the games - and from that were then able to understand TTS. FKaP is definitely a v2 of the rules, and this shows in the presentation of the ideas.

If you enjoy Hail Caesar, then certainly have a look at Pike and Shotte. Although not all like the way it deals with pike and shot as separate units.

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2020, 10:18:14 PM »
Yeah perhaps I should go for Pike and Shot, as the mates I play with have the hang of Hail Caesar so it wouldn't be a headache trying to teach them it (you know those games where you are the teacher, and as a result either you win and feel zero satisfaction and a bit of a dick because you had an advantage, or lose because you were thinking too much about the other side's moves for them and never got time to think about your own?  ;) )

The thing is, I am interested initially in the early period of what they call 'Renaissance', so perhaps Henry VIII's army which had a lot of bows and bills for a long time. Would perhaps want to enact Henry vs Scotland or France. Do you know if Pike and Shot covers that early period well in terms of rules and lists?
My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2020, 10:22:12 PM »
Pretty sure it starts that early.

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2020, 11:01:13 PM »
Righto, thanks. That's another option on the list then.

Offline Sandinista

• Assistant
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2020, 10:18:32 AM »
I use Pike and Shotte for the early Italian Wars period 1509/1515 and have had some very enjoyable games. This guy has some interesting thoughts on the P&S rules, well worth a read https://olicanalad.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-second-italian-wars-battle-using-pike.html

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2020, 07:14:02 PM »
I use Pike and Shotte for the early Italian Wars period 1509/1515 and have had some very enjoyable games. This guy has some interesting thoughts on the P&S rules, well worth a read https://olicanalad.blogspot.com/2016/10/a-second-italian-wars-battle-using-pike.html

Thanks for the link.

The Italian Wars is another period I quite like!
So much colour and variety in this time window I think; it's got a bit of the medieval and the gunpowder ages blended together, and lots of colour and variety.

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 05:22:14 PM »
Pike and Shotte cover Italian Wars all the way to late 17th century and allow for lots of character. For King and Parliament are great fun for ECW too.

I’ve a list of rules, with high level outline on most, on my blog here:

https://theviaregia.blogspot.com/p/17th-century-wargames-rules.html

In depth review of Pike and Shotte here:

https://theviaregia.blogspot.com/p/warlord-games-pike-and-shotte-rules.html

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 06:43:40 PM »
Pike and Shotte cover Italian Wars all the way to late 17th century and allow for lots of character. For King and Parliament are great fun for ECW too.

I’ve a list of rules, with high level outline on most, on my blog here:

https://theviaregia.blogspot.com/p/17th-century-wargames-rules.html

A very useful list - one more to add would by Pikeman's Lament by Dan Mersey and Michael Leck - building on the Lion Rampant rules, and on the skirmish size of game

One to consider for the list is Irregular Wars, which might be a little early for you, but does get into the 17thC

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2020, 07:21:41 PM »
A very useful list - one more to add would by Pikeman's Lament by Dan Mersey and Michael Leck - building on the Lion Rampant rules, and on the skirmish size of game

One to consider for the list is Irregular Wars, which might be a little early for you, but does get into the 17thC

Thanks, Fred!  Always very grateful for suggestions to add to the list.  I don't know how I missed Pikeman's Lament as I actually own that set, and I've played them.  Will correct that omission.  Not heard of Irregular Wars so will investigate and add. 

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2020, 07:27:01 PM »
Thanks for the links.
I enjoyed your blog post on the contrast paints, as they are something I had been thinking about as I’ve seen someone else on here who painted Landsknechts using them and got good results.

It really is the painting labour that is making me hold off on buying a load of landsknechts! I love the look of them, and there are some great models out there, but I have a feeling I’ll want to give up after painting five! But contrast paints might just make them a viable option