Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:52:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689619
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Thinking of starting Successors  (Read 49419 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Thinking of starting Successors
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2020, 12:07:09 AM »
Mr Westbury how is this going? Any progress?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2020, 06:13:54 PM »
Progress? In a pandemic!
The last set of commercial rules (Swordpoint) is laid out on the table ready for me to solo but I'm just not feeling it at the moment, too many real world distractions.
On the positive side, first draft of my own efforts is done and printed for me and Dave to discuss - already noticed a sequencing thing that doesn't work - I'm better when it's on paper.

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #107 on: October 20, 2020, 09:20:39 PM »
Look forward to see how you tackle this to get the feel you are looking for.

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #108 on: October 20, 2020, 10:59:31 PM »
So, playthrough of Swordpoint done - just in time for 2nd edition  lol
Like HC the basics suited my ambitions; figures on 'proper' bases (40mm square or 50mm square essentially), removal of said bases (eventually) from casualties, individual generals, recognisable phases of play - movement, shooting, melee, etc.
The creating of two forces to play test (Seleucid & Ptolemaic) I had to wing it a little as the sample lists started at Carthaginian and I didn't want to be forced into buying army lists as well - and I have to say the list supplied and the stuff about points on page 8 of the rules wasn't terribly clear. Like several other sets the units have arbitrary values to showcase their effectiveness (in this case Defence and Cohesion) which of course you need the army lists for your particular army but on going through the lists supplied their really wasn't a hell of a lot of difference - most Cohesion was across 6,7,8 and Defence across 3,5,6; why bother?   
The sequence is billed as not being 'I go, you go' as if there is something terribly wrong with that idea (I have no preference either way as long as it works), but in fact when it came to the movement phase it was exactly that, based on a dice throw for Initiative, no modifiers, pure luck; it all seemed a bit counter intuitive. Much has been made of Shooting being the first phase of the game (I don't count the housekeeping phase) but for me it really didn't matter, it just meant the skirmishers were less effective having had one less turn of movement for them to get into range or a target get close enough.
Unfortunately the shooting and close combat suffer from that Warhammer hold over of inflict casualties then roll to save - WHY?! The mechanisms are simple enough yes, but why do it twice with the now expected 4 on a D6 to hit (plus or minus a few modifiers) then rolling against the Defence value for an actual casualty? It just makes the process longer and when there is a lot going on the count can get lost - I even confused myself! Both ultimately result in a Cohesion test (morale), with a combat result calculation in between for melees, which is a key decider in losing units - on average you are more likely to fail than succeed.
What I did like about the casualty calculation however was that casualties are counted in figures (eventually  ;)), whole bases are removed but 'left overs' are discarded at the end of the phase. I think I might do it slightly differently but a good idea that kept things simple.
I did rather like the Momentum tokens idea; you start with a fixed number and add to your pile from success and use the pile for adding to your Initiative roll in movement and as bonuses in melee, I don't think it entirely worked, the rewards system favours the mobile aggressor overly significantly leaving defensive armies (Harold and the Saxons) at a disadvantage.
Command figures are quite useful for melees (extra dice) and rallying (command radius) and had a value which I didn't quite understand or could work out where it came from so I kept all mine at a neutral value, they are pretty hard to kill however even when in a melee.
The Line of Battle idea where you can spread casualties between the unit fighting and those either side was innovative I thought, it did get a bit messy when I had four pike blocks per side all in melee and it does tend to make the fight into a bit of a grind but maybe that's a good thing for the period I'm trying to do  :)
What I did find irritating was all the 'special rules' and important other bits were at the back of the rules and not interlaced with the main rules where they were applicable which meant an awful lot of flicking back and forward. I get why it was done this way, to keep it all together but I don't think it worked.
Overall I got a result fairly quickly with some reasonable sized armies - 4 pike blocks per side with attached skirmishers, a couple of elephants and 6 small units of cavalry per side and nothing stood out too much as being 'unhistorical'.
Would I play them again? Yes, I think so. Are they THE rules? Not completely convinced but this can't go on forever.
So, in terms of the process, we are down to these, Hail Caesar and my own (obviously!). Next stage is play the three sets back to back with a real opponent and make a decision - thank god we're in a pandemic  lol lol

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2020, 01:17:22 AM »
These rules seemed like they have done the best so far Ian! As you say you could easily just delete the saving throws to streamline things.
I came across a ruleset in my bookshelf: Crusader Ancient rules. Have you heard of these? I hesitate to say they will tick your boxes, because I mistakenly thought Vis Bellica would do that, but they seem very flexible.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2020, 05:24:41 AM »
Good morning, for some reason haven't tracked this correspondence before. I too have been building a Successor/Seleucid army for the past two years. After a lot of deliberation I eventually went metal.  Mainly Aventine with some Foundry javelinmen as for some reason Aventine don't produce them, plus Gripping Beast scythed charioyr from their Polemarch range. These all match very nicely.

For rules my go-to set is Simon Miller's "To The Strongest". I guess not everybody's cup of tea, but works well for us.  Also perfect for running a game on Zoom.     

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2020, 10:50:51 PM »
I hear rumours that you are looking to continue putting ideas together. I am happy to read through / try a few solo games out.

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #112 on: November 15, 2020, 04:54:07 PM »
James, I would say 'bring along those rules and I'll take a look next time we game' but no chance of that happening :( Sorry about Vis Bellica, I did try  :)

Gregor, get Pete to include you in our fledgling e mail chat and I'll send you a pdf once I've finished the army lists.

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #113 on: December 24, 2020, 05:46:22 PM »
So, with the end of the year of infection approaching I've finished the first draft of my rules set and sent it out to a few local players to get their input - quite nervous about this  :) Going to read up a bit more over the holiday and then maybe play a couple of solo games based on the same criteria as the various commercial sets I tried.
In the meantime, Happy Christmas  8)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #114 on: December 24, 2020, 06:56:42 PM »
That's my Christmas holiday reading sorted then.

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #115 on: January 01, 2021, 07:51:52 PM »
So, Zingara has played a game with the rules and sent me some feedback - this is getting serious  lol

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2021, 05:12:13 PM »
Lots of elephants - so what's not to like. I thought I had too many in my collection - but can happily field them all here. lol

Had a couple more games, and they certainly give an impressive looking phalanx, none of this little block in the middle of nowhere. Would be nice to try them out against an opponent of course.

Looking forward to the views of others.

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2021, 12:33:08 PM »
More feedback from Zingara and some proper thinking for me to do.
We seem to be on the right track but the fine tuning will take a while and not helped by being unable to physically play and chat with anyone.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2021, 11:55:15 PM »
It has started a tiny candle of enthusiasm for Ancients for me, so long as I can do it as cheaply as possible in between other things....the thing that amazes me is what these Bronze Age people thought was so important to fight about. After all everybody's life was basically the same, you either kept animals or grew your food in the ground, or caught fish if you lived on the coast; tried not to die of disease or injury...put food by for the winter... that must have took up most of their energy...no toilets or plumbing, writing only just invented no printing or books...plenty of space for everyone so what does it matter who is in charge? And yet they flock together to go to different countries and kill each other. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 11:58:28 PM by vodkafan »

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #119 on: January 10, 2021, 04:55:55 PM »
It has started a tiny candle of enthusiasm for Ancients for me, so long as I can do it as cheaply as possible in between other things....
I've gone and ordered some 20mm Seleucid Phalangites from New Line Designs. More Painting to do!! At least I can morph most of the other troops from my collection.