Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:53:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Thinking of starting Successors  (Read 47844 times)

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
Re: Thinking of starting Successors
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2020, 09:05:31 PM »
Gregor, thanks for the best wishes!
The number of units is a bit in the air which is fine at this stage, I'm going to take my time and not rush. I'm thinking 4 ranks for the pike, should give a sense of depth; had a discussion with my co adventurer into this madness today and we were talking 40mm square bases with 4 figures 2x2 and then 8 bases for a 'unit', alternatively bases of 80x40mm to make moving easier. He nearly persuaded me to write my own rules but I'm resisting so far.
I'm sure you are remembering a phone conversation we had pre lockdown when I was firmly saying no more big 28mm projects!  lol  :) :D

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2020, 09:46:16 AM »
Ian it has been said that if you want to hear God laugh...
tell him YOUR plans for the future.

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2020, 11:27:07 PM »
Ian it has been said that if you want to hear God laugh...
tell him YOUR plans for the future.

Excellent advice!

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2020, 09:04:59 PM »
So, played out Civtates Bellantes; ok I suppose but didn't ignite my passion and didn't feel anymore like an ancient battle than the other two. Got hold of a copy of FoG so will give that a go next.
The only consolation to all this very boring playing a game solo with bits of card is that if I end up writing my own I'll have plenty of ideas to borrow!

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2020, 09:05:54 PM »
So, finished my solo play through of FoG and although there are some really innovative ideas it struck me as an opportunity missed for the sake of being the ultimate tournament set.
The base sizes are just the DBA/DBM standard and pikes on 60x20 just don't do it no matter how many of them you put together, so the visual didn't work.
The sequence I liked and thought was a step out of the box but ultimately not enough for me. How you get the initiative I obviously missed (I just diced) but the impact of a charge being one fight and then prolonged melee a bit later in the same turn I did like.
The movement was so so slow! Even on a 6x4 it was slow; one side had cataphracts, oh what a waste, they may as well have got off and walked.
Shooting per base worked fine; the lumping in of virtually all weapons jarred a bit but hey. The PoA was obviously meant to make it all a bit different but it hardly seemed to make any difference.
Melee much the same as shooting so same comments but the results did seem to vary quite wildly.
Casualties or hit points. So when is a hit point a casualty and do they accumulate and what is the point of the death roll? This seemed just a bit too clever for it's own good.
Commanders being on a unit sized base (well almost) of 60x40 so that you could slot them into a unit and show them actually fighting in the front rank I really liked. made quite the change from the usual round base and declaring them to be with a unit.
For what we wanted just too many rules and qualifications and if, buts and maybe's which for the tournament style game it is aimed at I absolutely get and hundreds of players love it so fair enough.
That just leaves Swordpoint and Hail Caesar to try out now.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2020, 10:11:27 PM »
i am looking forward to your final verdict!
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #66 on: August 11, 2020, 09:28:12 AM »
Ian, you are inching (Centimetre-ing?) towards doing your own set, aren't you?

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2020, 10:23:25 AM »
So, finished my solo play through of FoG and although there are some really innovative ideas it struck me as an opportunity missed for the sake of being the ultimate tournament set.
The base sizes are just the DBA/DBM standard and pikes on 60x20 just don't do it no matter how many of them you put together, so the visual didn't work.
The sequence I liked and thought was a step out of the box but ultimately not enough for me. How you get the initiative I obviously missed (I just diced) but the impact of a charge being one fight and then prolonged melee a bit later in the same turn I did like.
The movement was so so slow! Even on a 6x4 it was slow; one side had cataphracts, oh what a waste, they may as well have got off and walked.
Shooting per base worked fine; the lumping in of virtually all weapons jarred a bit but hey. The PoA was obviously meant to make it all a bit different but it hardly seemed to make any difference.
Melee much the same as shooting so same comments but the results did seem to vary quite wildly.
Casualties or hit points. So when is a hit point a casualty and do they accumulate and what is the point of the death roll? This seemed just a bit too clever for it's own good.
Commanders being on a unit sized base (well almost) of 60x40 so that you could slot them into a unit and show them actually fighting in the front rank I really liked. made quite the change from the usual round base and declaring them to be with a unit.
For what we wanted just too many rules and qualifications and if, buts and maybe's which for the tournament style game it is aimed at I absolutely get and hundreds of players love it so fair enough.
That just leaves Swordpoint and Hail Caesar to try out now.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on Hail Caesar! It's the rule system I've defaulted to, but I'm new enough to the hobby that all I've done so far is collect/paint models, and read rules! Hopefully I've picked the "right" one  :D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 10:31:51 PM by Fremitus Borealis »
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #68 on: August 11, 2020, 09:05:28 PM »
Pete, I think you're right although that was never the intent, I was sure i would find something  :)

That said I have now started writing up draft notes for, sequence, movement, shooting etc on an A4 pad - damm  :-[

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2020, 09:33:34 AM »
If you are VERY quiet... you can probably hear some gentle laughing from on high.

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2020, 08:02:16 PM »
I am not surprised Ian - had a feeling for a while you would end up doing your own thing - I look forward to seeing the final result and how you tackle it and what your design criteria are.

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2020, 08:17:42 PM »
Hate being predictable lol

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2020, 01:25:11 PM »
I knew you would say that Ian.

Can we start the suggestions for the title of YOUR Successors rules?
Phalangite's Lament  (someone has already used Pikeman's Lament).
Writer's block, sorry should read 'Pike block'.
'To the strongest' (sorry again, that one is already taken)
"Generals! generals, we are under-achieving in the 'togetherness' department"
 (From a TV News room comedy, I forget its title).
'I ain't been piked mum'
Wars of the Successors by WRG (Wilson's Research Group).
Gaming, Selucid, Antigonid, Ptolmey. (Gee  SAP!).
Post Alexander (Oops, 'PA' already in use).
The Generals who would be Kings (Too close to TMWWBK ?)

I feel sure Ian that you will come up with a much better/serious title. 

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2020, 07:26:41 PM »
Dividing The Spoils because that's the title of the book that's currently inspiring me Pete.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2020, 08:22:22 PM »
Better than my suggestions.
Wonder what it would be in Greek.