Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:15:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Thinking of starting Successors  (Read 49609 times)

Online vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Thinking of starting Successors
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2021, 05:11:16 PM »
I've gone and ordered some 20mm Seleucid Phalangites from New Line Designs. More Painting to do!! At least I can morph most of the other troops from my collection.

20mm? Do you already have a collection in that scale? I would have thought it would be a bit limited apart from plastic box sets?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2021, 07:43:05 PM »
I already have a load of 1/72nd plastics - mainly HAT, but Italieri etc thrown in. 20mm will be a little shorter, but in separate units won't notice much.

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2021, 08:07:42 PM »
Feeling the weight of responsibility now Gregor  :)

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2021, 08:17:08 PM »
So, played a 2nd game of my rules with the amendments from the 1st and Gregors considerable input. Very pleased, game had a better flow, some of the original issues seem to be resolved or at least on their way to being resolved. The unit size changes will improve the visuals I think - difficult to tell with cardboard cut outs  :) and some of the tactical problems I wanted to create are there. Still a way to go but at least this time I only had half an A4 sheet of issues rather than several  lol

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2021, 06:44:15 PM »
So 3rd game played as has Gregor and its coming along nicely, moving into the fine tuning stage now rather than the "shit, that doesn't work!" phase.
Going to spend a bit of time consolidating the various changes into some kind of errata sheet we can all use rather than "didn't we agree to change......?" before the next play through.

The time is also fast approaching of agreeing on how many boxes of plastics we are going to buy and then getting into the painting cycle but the important decision is going to be whose metal cavalry to use - I did a bit of a data sheet on what is available, at what price and that was quite revealing.

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2021, 09:16:23 PM »
From what you said you wanted in the rules, you went a different route than I would have.  However, I am still really interested in hearing more about the high-level mechanics you came up with and why you are using them. 

It is the wargame designer in me!
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #126 on: April 09, 2021, 10:45:22 PM »
So, the rules are in a decent enough state to play without too much "what I meant was....! which means I can now concentrate on the army lists - everyone loves an army list!
Original plan was to do a matrix style spread sheet and list all the troop types down one side and then have the different protagonists across the top and just tick the boxes. Well that failed and it looked crap so now doing 'proper' lists and the more I read the more I feel the need to do another army list! What was originally the usual culprits, Imperial, Seleucid, Ptolemaic, Pyrrhic, etc has now grown somewhat but I'm having great fun doing it.
Also the painting slog has begun, 3 units of Greek mercenaries are done and an elephant, just need Victrix to get their act together and restock the pikemen!!
More detail on the blog at westburywargamers.com

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #127 on: April 10, 2021, 09:52:00 AM »
It will be impressive when finished, as are all of the projects
you and Dave do.

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #128 on: April 10, 2021, 11:50:12 AM »
Thank you Pete, how very kind.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #129 on: April 10, 2021, 12:04:03 PM »
Yup, looking forward to seeing the game in progress with all those minis!

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2021, 04:44:47 PM »
So, rules and lists done as well as they can be until fully fledged painted armies can get stuck in and break them  lol
If anyone is interested in a pdf to have a go with or just critique then get in touch at our email westburywargaming@outlook.com

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2021, 09:08:30 PM »
All that is needed now is the armies !! How long are you figuring on that taking Ian?? Certainly look forward to an interesting panoply. If not going to get them all done at once may be worth having some games with smaller points totals - see some progress :-).

Online vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #132 on: May 15, 2021, 09:18:53 PM »
All that is needed now is the armies !! How long are you figuring on that taking Ian?? Certainly look forward to an interesting panoply. If not going to get them all done at once may be worth having some games with smaller points totals - see some progress :-).

I am sure my army for this is going to take a year even at full speed  :(

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2021, 08:18:01 PM »
Good point on doing smaller games with whatever gets done first Gregor; so far there are 4 units of Greek mercenaries and an elephant so not quite enough yet but by end of June we should have most of the skirmishers plus some peltasts and a goodly number of cavalry done so the summer could see us doing some smaller encounters.

Offline Zingara

• Scientist
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2021, 08:38:16 PM »
Sounds like you are making good headway. I'll be having to book some time off work to come and see :-).