Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:03:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689515
  • Total Topics: 118283
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Convert, convert!  (Read 1224 times)

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
Convert, convert!
« on: May 27, 2020, 06:05:44 AM »
Comrades,

I have been considering modelling a unit of 28mm French Chasseurs d'Afrique for the Crimean War. I'm not happy with the older Wargames Foundry offerings as they are nearer true 25's and very dated when compared to what I am fielding them alongside - the superb Great War Miniatures range.

Unless I'm missing something (which I doubt) my best option appears to me to be Perry Miniatures ACW 28mm cavalry - both plastic and metal union cavalry. This will require careful conversions and quite a number of them - 28 for the 4eme.

Does anyone have any experiences with conversions? Does anyone have any better ideas of what I should use?

With the Perry figures I'll need to build up the kepis, model more facial hair, rework the cartridge pouches, fill out the pants, define a high boot-line and carve out defined feet and stirrups. I'm looking at their Union cavalry because the shell jackets are near what I need and the horse furniture is extremely close.

I'm close to pressing that order button but wanted anyone's thoughts on alternatives before I commit.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:29:14 AM by joroas »
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Convert, convert!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 12:36:43 PM »
I agree Artizan designs look great ..although I still love the Foundry figures..

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 02:41:35 PM »
I think the Perry's are about to release Argentinian Cavalry which look to me very like French cavalry in terms of uniform style. I'd planned to take a closer look at these and see if they would do as stand ins.

Gringo40's have Mexican republican cavalry which would do for Chasseurs but they are big figures. They wear the havelock on their tall kepis, but their uniform is otherwise similar to CDA, including false boots.

EBob has French Hussars and Cuirassiers available in 28mm in his Franco-Prussian range but no CDA's

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 04:36:21 PM »
Conversions are fun and with all the great plastic sets out there the world is your oyster! I would suggest you post a photo or two of exactly the look of the CdA that you are trying to capture, as that will better help one figure things out.

The earlier comment about the Perry's metal range of S. American was offers some choice...but it does depend.

One thing for sure, you can do anything you want in plastic with a sharp knife and putty!  ;)

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 08:28:38 PM »
Thanks for the rapid responses everyone. I was aware of those ranges but they are off the mark I'm afraid. The Chasseurs d'Afrique went through a considerable evolution in uniform development across much of the 19th century. Artizan and Old Glory are too late for me. All of my options are conversion options and it's about how much alteration is required.

I wasn't aware of the impending South American cavalry from the Perrys. I may bide some time yet. The Gringo's really are quite close and thanks, I had forgotten them. They do look 'mighty' in scale are also expensive? I'm a big battalion gamer and paying in humble Aussie dollars - I'd have to think about them.

Thanks again brains-trust. You've paid me in gold.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 10:11:23 PM »
Why not see if Nic at Eureka would do some for you?