Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:25:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Got a batch of new players! Need some advice.  (Read 2496 times)

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
Re: Got a batch of new players! Need some advice.
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2020, 06:37:31 PM »

There use to be a company that sold a bag of 80 plastic miniatures. 40 of one army and 40 of another. I can’t recall the name of the company. Does that ring a bell with anyone and do you know if they still have that big bag deal?

Was that Prince August with the old warzone plastics? No idea if they still do that though.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2020, 08:28:43 PM »
Yes I think its the very old Mutant Chronicles 2nd edition Prince August, who are still around selling that stuff but nothing for the old original starter.

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2020, 08:36:01 PM »
What about just using plastic toy figures like the old Marx stuff?
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2020, 03:57:54 PM »
What about just using plastic toy figures like the old Marx stuff?

This was my initial thought on the matter. Scale might be a bit off, but plastic soldier type figures tend to be a decent starting point for some conversions and putty work too. Not hard to chop them up and put them back together in different ways, swap a head, change a gun, etc. They lack some detail, but again this is a place where some really basic conversion work and paint can turn that around.

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2020, 04:52:44 PM »
I think I may have found a solution. Scotia Grendel has 5 Viridian on a plastic sprue for 5 pounds. https://www.shop.scotiagrendel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=217_218_59_61&products_id=2851

They use to have a plastic Junkers Sprue as well, but I can't seem to locate it on their website.

Becasue they are styrene, head and weapons swaps should be easy (and fun) for my new players (my bits box runneth over).

It does not look like the Prince August plastics are available.

Great suggestions guys, feel free to keep them coming!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 04:59:26 PM by Bahir »

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2020, 04:53:01 PM »
Here are some photos of one of our recent games.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 04:58:31 PM by Bahir »

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2020, 04:59:27 PM »
I think I may have found a solution. Scotia Grendel has 5 Viridian on a plastic sprue for 5 pounds. https://www.shop.scotiagrendel.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=217_218_59_61&products_id=2851

There's actually two on each sprue so you'll get 10.

Have the junkers moved to Seb games?

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2020, 09:24:48 AM »
The Plastic Viridian Miniatures from Scotia Grendel arrived and I divided them into bags of 5 minis each and I dug out some heads, swords, and weapons so they can try their hands and converting. I'll hand them out on Friday to the teens. Scotia Grendel even threw in some scatter terrain! It was very kind of them.

I'm looking for a cheap source for Jump Packs (GW or Non-GW). For some reason they LOVE using jump packs in games, and so I want to see if I can find some to add to their bits bags.  Any suggestions?

My local games shops would normally be my go-to place, but with COVID trying to find them open during a time I can go is tough.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 07:06:13 PM by Bahir »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2020, 10:30:58 AM »
Is it me? I can't see any of the pictures.

Jump packs? :- Cut some sprue into same lengths & trim/file.
                        Look at bits from electrical shops, often have big bags of tiny parts.
                       Make a small ball of putty (Miliput or similar) stick it onto the back,
                        then using...well just about anything (pens, screws etc) emboss a
                       design into it. Let it set & paint it.
                       Cannibalise bits from old kits. e.g. one 1/76th tank's road wheels
                        would do the job.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2020, 11:49:49 AM »
Yeah pictures seem to have gone.

I'm looking for a cheap source for Jump Packs (GW or Non-GW). For some reason they LOVE using jump packs in games, and so I want to see if I can find some to add to their bits bags.  Any suggestions?

Off hand I can think of
hasslefree http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=jump-packs~hfl201&category=sci%252dfi-%26%0D%0Aweird-war~sci%252dfi-armoury
Anvil indysutries https://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/backpacks-jetpacks-and-cloaks#/pageSize=6&viewMode=grid&orderBy=0
and Kromlech https://www.kromlech.eu/EN-H15/bits.html

Not sure if they're cheap enough and I'm sure there's some other places, nbut can't think of them right now.

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2020, 06:51:40 PM »
Is it me? I can't see any of the pictures.

I still see them. I wonder if google photos has done something to make it so that only I can see them.

***Edit***
All this time I have been embedding photos from Google Photos. Apparently that is not supported because the links can change at any time. Anyone have any suggestions for free workarounds?

****Edit****

Well I found this site that creates link that allows a photo from google photos to be embedded. https://www.labnol.org/embed/google/photos/ If you can see the image of the miniatures in the bags then it worked lol.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 07:08:48 PM by Bahir »

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2020, 08:45:03 PM »
Bahir,

I have GW jump packs along with the other bits to send you. My hand is nearly usable again and I should be able to start searching for more bits in my mountain again. I PM’d you for your address a while ago but got no reply if you could send me your address I’ll try and arrange a way to get them to you (still shielding and my county is in total lockdown).

BALM
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2020, 10:48:13 AM »
Bahir,

I have GW jump packs along with the other bits to send you. My hand is nearly usable again and I should be able to start searching for more bits in my mountain again. I PM’d you for your address a while ago but got no reply if you could send me your address I’ll try and arrange a way to get them to you (still shielding and my county is in total lockdown).

BALM

The me BLAM, with my studies I’ve not bee. As regular checking my PMs. I’ll take care of it, thank you!

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2020, 03:20:08 PM »
Bahir,

BALM

PM sent

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2020, 06:09:07 AM »
Bahir,

BALM

Hey BALM,

I sent a PM with my address (twice actually) but it does not seem to be going through. If you like you can email me at gryskiewicz at gmail dot com.

Thanks,

Bahir