Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:37:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686486
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How Would YOU Dress Up Space Pirates?  (Read 4933 times)

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Re: How Would YOU Dress Up Space Pirates?
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2020, 09:19:05 PM »
Thanks!  I’ll check it out.

Offline aliensurfer

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2020, 10:22:05 PM »
@ Dan - they is also this old film https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087451/

Offline Greylegion

• Bookworm

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2020, 05:49:30 AM »
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 05:59:07 AM by Cacique Caribe »

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2020, 12:26:23 PM »
Why not all of them?

Since piracy is quite prolific in human history and in virtually any and every culture that has access to the sea/major water system. If you had a civilization that managed to easily or steadily access other Solar systems, I suspect given how big a single star system is you'd have piracy to some extent virtually everywhere and in every form (if anyone here plays or has plays Elite Dangerous then you'll know what I mean, almost no asteroid belt DOESN'T have a pirate or two).

I suppose though to some extent things can become blurred, the lines between Pirate/Terrorists/Insurgent/Criminal Gangs blurs with a possible faction taking on all aspects of each or an Alliance of groups I.E Pirates transport contraband for a Mega City Crime syndicate. But I'd use that as the basis of 'what does these Pirates look like?' - who or maybe who do they not associate with.

My current pirate factions/Inspirations are thus:

Belt Shotta - Literally The Expanse Belters, miner one day, pirate the next. Exist virtually everywhere to some degree. Carry kit that is virtually indistinguishable from most Asteroid mining ops except likely of second hand quality with the more dedicated trouble makers covering their kit in gang/station iconography (imagine anything designed to soften impacts from debri in space is a decent stopgap choice to protect against shrapnel etc in both Void and Atmospheric environments). Uses a mixture of basic firearms usually available on the open market, stolen military hardware and altered mining equipment as weapons. Predominantly an issue for Cargo carriers and Orbital/Deep space stations with minimal security (I.E no military). Rarely seen planet side - occasionally Spec Ops Units and Elite Search and Destroy Naval vessels are called in to 'Cut the Grass' and give their greener members some experience when Shottas get too experienced. 

Space Vikings - Thankfully quite rare. Vikings are the ancestors of nomads from the basic propulsion eras. They live beyond the official frontier line in space that is barely explored. Although beholden to an age of extreme scientific discovery they tint such knowledge with Pagan beliefs, some new and profoundly alien, others based on one or more ancient Earth customs. They name their war parties after their myths (Fenrirs Rage, Arrows of Obatala, Gaze of Anubis etc). They often dress to fit whatever perceived culture they have adopted. Many have been witnessed wearing a mixture of basic to highly advanced power armor some of which is stolen, others self made and often imbued with symbols such as runes etc to promote battlefield luck. They will target anything or go anywhere if the loot is right and sometimes will even pick fights with Military forces just for kicks.

Jolly Rogers - Sometimes referred to as a Space Dandy. Often wear overly garish or 'antiquated' clothing and stylized weapons. Their leaders are often narcissist's who're heavily tapped into Social Media and commit piracy not so much to lift goods but to commit increasingly brazen acts against System authorities that help to increase their fan base. They're often keen to attract Aliens and other weirdoes (Animorphs, bots, Clones). This is a way of 'characterizing' their crews and to dodge viewer backlash when they get vaporized during a daring boarding action (Neu-tube statistics show viewers are turned off to Influencers when showing Holo-projections of humans being spaced and result in ad-money suspension). Mostly handled by local security as they're more a nuisance than a real threat, although some Jolly Roger conglomerates like the BB (Black-Beard) Syndicate have required military action.

Reavers-"If they take the ship, they'll rape us to death, eat our flesh, and sew our skins into their clothing – and if we're very, very lucky, they'll do it in that order." all while to the sound of Crazy Frog on repeat. Dressed up as Hobo-Zombie civilians with a hint of Slaanesh.

So you get the idea. Go mad, maybe have a crew of all the conceivable types of Pirates you can think of.

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2020, 04:34:08 PM »
I went for an anything goes attitude with my Rogue Trader pirates. I've pretty much got an army of the barmy buggers!