Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:54:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Argad rules updated – a mix of RPG and miniature skirmish  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
Argad rules updated – a mix of RPG and miniature skirmish
« on: April 15, 2020, 04:54:47 PM »
Hi all,

In February I had been working on updates and a better explanation of Argad rules in French.
And... with all the fearful events and confinement these weeks I found I had time to translate it in English too!

The rules were first published in 1996 as a very simple skirmish system. Their RPG potential was not fully apparent then, and only since a few years has it been better explored (thanks to a small bunch of enthusiastic players and game masters).

Some people did seem interested or intrigued by game AARs posted on forums and asked for a new version in English but the few documents online were outdated. And experience has shown it was necessary to state clearly what these rules are about and what they are not. The new PDF (48 pages) explains the basic system, answers a number of issues which caused problems (and is loaded with many peculiar cases which don't happen often) and a large part is devoted to suggestions and ideas for the RPG dimension which is the main interest and purpose of the rules.

Reference sheets for some historical periods have been updated too.

It's there and it's free:
http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html

It is not a professional translation, I apologise for awkward wording and syntax.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
Re: Argad rules updated – a mix of RPG and miniature skirmish
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 05:05:04 PM »
Interesting Patrice, if you would like I could help you?

Cheers
Matt

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 09:41:07 PM »
Great stuff Patrice - will have a good read through.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 09:22:23 AM »
Thanks guys,

Thanks bluewillow but if I went to pester all the native English speakers amongst my friends for all documents related to these rules it would never end...  lol

BTW I didn't mention that the very basic core of the rules can be easily adapted for simple games with children:

Give a handful of warriors on foot armed with swords and/or spears or bows to each player, forget other weapons.
Shooting table as usual for bows: 5-6 to hit at 0-20 cm, 6 to hit at 20-40 cm, do not use 40-60 cm range;
–1 to die roll for archer moving, –1 if target somewhat protected by terrain, –1 at chain mail or breastplate;
allow foot archers to shoot in movement;
archers cannot shoot and strike in melee in the same game turn.
Melee as usual: hit if die roll exceeds class and also exceeds armour, recoil if die roll equals class (or higher than class but not than armour), missed if smaller than class.
Movement can be limited to 10 cm for everyone for a small or medium-sized gaming table.
Roll one D6 for each shot or each strike in melee,
Average soldier = "class 3"
Elite soldier = "class 4"
Player character = "class 5" and can survive one wound.
Chain mail or breastplate = "armour 4".

Ignore everything else, and it will not be very RPG nor will it allow big strategy... but it works.
Add more ingredients later if wished.
And "the game organiser is always right" whatever the rules say ...because it is written in the rules.  :D

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 09:46:32 AM »
This is a wonderful ruleset, Patrice - I had no problem reading through it at all. I think there may be some adjustment for players not used to free-flowing play... personally, I like the approach and it's not too different to how my friends and I have played Rogue Trader.

It occurs to me that this would be great to try out solo, too.

With a bit of preparation, random events and "scripting" the opposition it could be really fun!

By the way, I was really pleasantly surprised to see one of my miniatures gracing the pages of your rules - the "half-ogre" I sculpted for Flintloque on page 27! Nice work!

Well, you've won me over. Looking forward to trying this out  :) 

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 10:18:50 AM »
Thanks Christian.

...Um there still are a few typos in the text, nothing important, I'll correct them.

I think there may be some adjustment for players not used to free-flowing play...

Yes possibly... Some years ago a group of players adapted it for a more competitive, non-simultaneous system with initiative dice, very precise morale checks by units, etc. We good-humouredly called them "the heretics". lol It worked for them for a while and I was interested to see it, but it also needs a lot of work and in a direction where so many other rulesets exist and are more complete.

It occurs to me that this would be great to try out solo, too.
With a bit of preparation, random events and "scripting" the opposition it could be really fun!

Interesting you say that. A guy from Normandy posted a short AAR (in French) yesterday, 1/72 Egyptians attacked by fantasy barbarians...  :) I don't think the rules have often been played solo till now, but with the confinement I am curious to see what people could imagine for scenarios etc.
http://www.anargader.net/t2684-pillage-d-un-village-egyptien#24975

the "half-ogre" I sculpted for Flintloque on page 27

Oh yes I like him very much! As soon as I saw him on Alternative Armies website I knew I needed him for ..."nearly historical" games. lol

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 04:02:36 AM »
Yes possibly... Some years ago a group of players adapted it for a more competitive, non-simultaneous system with initiative dice, very precise morale checks by units, etc. We good-humouredly called them "the heretics". lol It worked for them for a while and I was interested to see it, but it also needs a lot of work and in a direction where so many other rulesets exist and are more complete.

Yes, I see what you mean. I like what you've created as it has a unique twist to it. Tournament play doesn't really interest me anyway :)

Interesting you say that. A guy from Normandy posted a short AAR (in French) yesterday, 1/72 Egyptians attacked by fantasy barbarians...  :) I don't think the rules have often been played solo till now, but with the confinement I am curious to see what people could imagine for scenarios etc.
http://www.anargader.net/t2684-pillage-d-un-village-egyptien#24975

Wonderful, I will check this out - and hopefully try it out my self soon!

Oh yes I like him very much! As soon as I saw him on Alternative Armies website I knew I needed him for ..."nearly historical" games. lol

Glad to hear it :) I was really pleased with how that set came out! Hope you've found a use for the rest of the set, the furniture was a blast to put together!

Offline Patrice

• Mastermind
  • Breizh / Brittany
    • "Argad!"
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2020, 03:46:08 PM »
Hi,

The 2020 Argad generic rules has only one page devoted to cavalry. A new 8-pages document is now online, it contains explanations, suggestions and examples about cavalry and mounted troops:
http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/pdfs/argad-en-cavalry.pdf

(I still post this in the medieval sub-forum as this document is mostly about the Middle Ages although some other periods are also mentioned.)

Some links to a few 1/72 AARs have also been added on the website.
http://www.argad-bzh.fr/argad/en.html