Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:17:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mean Streets: War in Gang-infested Cities project (rule available!)  (Read 5096 times)

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Re: Mean Streets: War in Gang-infested Cities project (rule available!)
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2021, 09:18:28 PM »
Our stimulus monies have gone a long way towards helping the economies of Japan and Britain, and even local delivery services!

: 3

Offline H_E_H

• Assistant
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2021, 05:07:26 PM »
I keep coming back to Mean Streets for a possible purchase.  I love The Warriors, but don't own much in the genre of street gang miniatures. 
Strongly considering creating some paper miniatures, though! 

Just this morning I discovered that the film, 1990: The Bronx Warriors had a sequel, Escape From the Bronx, so I had to give it an immediate viewing on Prime.  Wow,  this installment outshines its predecessor in action and the return of Trash, the lanky, odd-striding protagonist from the original.

To be brief: the Bronx is to be torn down and replaced with new housing. The city planners oversee their goals with a tabletop, miniature layout of the urban blight. They send in Floyd Wangler (Henry Silva, who's sadly under-utilized in this movie!) and their silver suit, motorcycle-helmed henchmen to battle the gangs and the conflict is quite the spectacle. Escape from the Bronx got me thinking street gang skirmish affairs need not solely involve gang v gang, but also gangs versus outside encroachment from 'the man'!

And for what it's worth, I do enjoy the original film, but Castellari's sequel hits the turf running and brawling.  It's not The Warriors, but is an enjoyable 80s watch with some hilarious one-liners, too! Highly recommended. Viewable on Prime and Tubi,
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 04:27:36 AM by H_E_H »

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2021, 05:29:22 PM »
In other inspirational movies, The Switchblade Sisters (Jack Hill, 1975) is getting a new blu-ray release due to ship in the coming week — I've got my pre-order in at Target!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGc18SW1QKk&ab_channel=ArrowVideo

I did have some gang figures on hand to start with, and umm, a lot more now.  6–8 figures per gang is ample for gaming.  I've been painting 10–12 each because they are such fun mini-projects and then there will be a choice of character figures, or enough for a 2-player team.

Offline H_E_H

• Assistant
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2021, 05:40:57 PM »
Okay, good to know. Thanks, Cat! Switchblade Sisters has been on my ever-growing watchlist for a while, but moves up a bit higher on the must-see priority.  I'd totally buy Blu Rays, but in addition to all my other spending hobbies, I just cannot justify the spending! 

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2021, 05:49:35 PM »
Usually I'm the queen of the $5 DVDs, but will splurge occasionally and figure it averages out.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2021, 02:53:57 AM »
Great ideas! I agree that Mean Streets can flex out to the dystopian government/corporate thugs battling the free spirit street gangs. In fact, the first supplement planned for this book is to take it into the masked vigilante realm of proto "super heroes" fighting those who have taken over the streets. And this can include government corruption.

Mike Demana
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/