Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:16:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Peninsular Allies - Light Dragoon….& lunch!  (Read 22152 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Peninsular Allies - scatter gunning!
« Reply #180 on: February 20, 2024, 06:05:39 PM »
Pete’s offer got me thinking….and has kindly popped his home made rules in the post, but I also had Sharp Practice sat unopened so broke it out for a little inspiration…….and I believe I have found it!

I was already going down the route of mounting the skirmishing light bobs singly, but it would appear I can use my formation based infantry too alongside them in SP.

Indeed, with a very few minor additions and a few characters, I could start playing SP and still give impetus towards ultimately playing larger scale ( probably black powder) with the same minis.   

I’m already a Lardies fan and SP2 has many of the hallmarks of the games I know already.  I get to add a few off beat minis (mule trains, vivandiers, engineers, exploring officers etc), and still be working towards my ultimate goal at the same time.

I have already started on a dozen or so 95th……realise I need another four light infantry minis as above, and will paint the light infantry in line as I need those too.

After that, I will need some of the cavalry and start working on the foot regiments ( two of those from my Albuera brigade as they will both be in buff facings as I need about three groups of 8 minis without colours etc).

Feeling pretty pleased with my reasoning…..just sorry I’ve sat on it for the last couple of years without  knowing it! 🥴🥴
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 12:37:36 PM by Digits »

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: Peninsular War - Allied Division - zhuzhing up with Sharp Practice!
« Reply #181 on: February 20, 2024, 09:27:08 PM »
Digits, yes you can use multi/Formation based figures for SP2. All you need to do is be able to track "casualties" instead of removing individual figures. We use micro-dice placed next to the unit....as we do for amassing "shock". Maybe not for the purist but "needs must" as they say.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Peninsular War - Allied Division - zhuzhing up with Sharp Practice!
« Reply #182 on: February 20, 2024, 10:22:15 PM »
Works for me fella!  Cheers.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Peninsular War - Allied Division - Sgt Harper
« Reply #183 on: February 22, 2024, 08:26:56 PM »
Having settled on Perry Miniatures for my 95th, I struggled to find a suitable mini to represent Harper.   Most of the decent looking ones were frankly too small until I found a mini at a game show a couple of years back.   If I’m honest I don’t recall who the manufacturer was…but it was the right height in my mind.   He looked to be cad designed and a little featureless (look at his face!) so I beefed up the back of his jacket, filed off the stripes on his left arm, stuck on a suitable hat, added a plastic Perry back pack, green stuffed a new bread bag and added a rifle to his kit.

I’m fairly happy with him, even if he has no facial features and woman’s hands!

Anyway, painted as test mini for the rest of the rifles……hopefully finish them at the weekend.

Alongside a Front Rank light infantryman.  Having read up last night on the Nock volley gun……what a dangerously silly weapon to carry….guy must have a death wish! Lol

« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 08:31:07 AM by Digits »

Online CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #184 on: February 23, 2024, 01:42:48 AM »
Death wish or not, he sure looks the part. So does the chap from (presumably) the South Essex...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #185 on: February 23, 2024, 12:02:30 PM »
Cheers fella.  71st  Glasgow light to be fair.  Does anyone recall what facings South Essex had in Sharp?  May be I can represent them with one of my other units…

Stronghold mini for Sharp arrived this am from Footsore.  I will paint him with the next batch of 95th.  He’s a tad on the slight side but a nice mini.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #186 on: February 23, 2024, 12:30:52 PM »
Yellow.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #187 on: February 23, 2024, 01:00:32 PM »
Hmmm…I will have a few buff regiments…they will have to do! Ta

Anyway as an aside, I have been reading (well listening to) the books about Keane by Iain Gale.  Most enjoyable.   Does anyone have a pic or two of the Corps of mounted Guides (intelligence) in the Peninsular or know if they appear in an Osprey guide at all? Ta
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 01:10:28 PM by Digits »

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #188 on: February 23, 2024, 01:35:32 PM »
Men-at-arms 343: The Portuguese Army of... plate D1.

Interesting, Light Dragoon but red jacket rather than blue. That's easy peasy.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #189 on: February 23, 2024, 01:36:25 PM »
Thank you sir…will go take a look!

Indeed…very easy!   Nice one.   I will use the Perry dismounted light dragoons as Keane’s men, and use a suitable mini from my stock of Silver Bayonet minis as Keane in civilian disguise as an exploring officer to lead them……nice narrative group for Sharp Practice me thinks!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 02:52:29 PM by Digits »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Peninsular War - Allied Division - “Sweeps”
« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2024, 03:36:16 PM »
First batch of 95th done.  Another 9 minis to finish them. Spent all day Sunday on them….i must really be slowing down though…no wonder I’m dreading tackling the line battalions! lol

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #191 on: February 26, 2024, 08:38:22 PM »
South Essex, yellow facings,

;)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #192 on: February 27, 2024, 11:54:14 AM »
great looking unit.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #193 on: February 28, 2024, 01:02:06 PM »
Cheers….so before finishing the rest of the 95th….i ended up picking up the brush to tackle and finish the 92nd foot regiment last night!  Christ, even if I stick to one project….i still manage to jump around it with complete lack of focus!  Oh well…it will be progress of sorts at least.

Hopefully I can finish those with a little clear air…

Edit:

Well just made a small order on Perry.   Ordered more British artillery, donkey transport and my first regiment of Portuguese along with a few cacadores.

Plenty to be getting on with …..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 12:51:04 PM by Digits »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Peninsular Allies - scatter gunning
« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2024, 12:49:13 PM »
Struggling to find time for concentrating on painting…but instead find myself scatter gunning about and collecting bits I want to concentrate on to get Sharp Practice off the ground.

As well as the half finished 92nd on my paint tray, I have been collecting dabbing bits on a number of units and vignettes.

So I can start learning the Black Powder rules, I have the 71st light, a light dragoon regiment, and two batteries of artillery to do.   Also on the tray, my corps of Guides.

I also bought a cracking little set from Perry minis which with a little added tool bundle, will represent my British Engineers for SP.   The fella riding the mule will lead the mule team (Crann Tara).

Hopefully I can find a little clear air to get something actually painted!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2024, 05:02:29 PM by Digits »