Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:44:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689602
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Peninsular Allies - Light Dragoon….& lunch!  (Read 21798 times)

Offline LazyStudent

• Librarian
Re: Peninsular Scenics - and an Allied Division
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2020, 12:42:24 PM »
Looks like quite a force. You might need more French once you have all of these on the table! Looking forwards to following your progress!

Also, side question, any specific reason you picked the 95th as the divisonal troops? The 5/60th was actually normally in the role, while the 95th mostly remainded formed in battalions, and the 5/60th have much nicer uniforms (IMHO). Green jackets, with blue trousers and red cuff/collars ;)
"History is a set of lies agreed upon.”
― Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2020, 01:02:33 PM »
Looks like quite a force. You might need more French once you have all of these on the table! Looking forwards to following your progress!

Also, side question, any specific reason you picked the 95th as the divisonal troops? The 5/60th was actually normally in the role, while the 95th mostly remainded formed in battalions, and the 5/60th have much nicer uniforms (IMHO). Green jackets, with blue trousers and red cuff/collars ;)

Thanks for the comments.

I should still have more than enough French I feel!

You are correct,, the 60th were in the role at Albuera, but as half this division is made up, and being a huge Sharpe fan, I’ve opted to use them.  As for “nicer uniform”. I prefer my green jackets a little less visible!  I have some nice Sharpe minis of the chosen men arriving soon with luck from Brigade Games.

I intend to until I’ve as many of my single based minis both for the larger gaming and for skirmish gaming, two birds with one stone.

Talking of which, I also ordered some Spanish guerrillas from Brigade which along with a few Perry Carlist packs and these fellas from East Riding, will give me a decent sized group of freedom fighters.   I particularly want the armed priests and monks to be a prominent feature.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 04:43:53 PM by Digits »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2020, 09:30:08 AM »
It would be a crime not to use those beautiful Jim Bowen sculpts.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2020, 09:42:17 AM »
I already have, see my Guerillios in earlier post.
I am all in favour of more rabid anti-French clergy.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2020, 10:16:36 AM »
Yes I saw those.  I didn’t connect the dots!

So, look what I found!

Where do I find a find a 96lbr siege gun?

We had previously discussed the film “The pride and the passion” , based on C S Forester’s book “The Gun”.  I have a gun (currently with a James) but I fear it won’t be big enough! Lol

Actually, the film took a few liberties, the book has it as an eighteen pounder....I should be ok.  Spanish civilian crew coming with my Brigade order.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 10:45:08 AM by Digits »

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2020, 05:14:18 PM »
Surely that's a circus cannon to shoot a clown out of  ;)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2020, 05:42:51 PM »
To be honest, if you’d seen the recoil....you’d think so ! Lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJQPb9FH8XE

I remember years ago at the Leeds Armouries (Fiasco?) Wargames show, they had a Demi culverin (Maybe even a culverin but I don’t quite remember)outside the gates  when it was a grass and stoned car park.  They were going to fire on the hour, every hour.  I’d seen a lot of cannons fired in the knot but this was a beasty!

Anyway, I went out to watch as they gaily loaded without a care in the world.  The rope had only been set around it by about 15 feet which looked very close to my untrained eye.

Anyway, when it fired....the whole thing disappeared in a VERY BIG explosion and ball of smoke.   When it cleared, a coach on the other end of the car park, side on to the shock wave, was rocking back and forth and every car alarm in the place was going off!  Looking back at the cannon, crew and public alike were on the floor!

Needless to say, I went out an hour later and the ropes had been set back at least 30 feet and the crew were not quite so care free as they went about loading it!

Was very funny.

Anyway, finally got round to adding more clay....slow going but I’m hoping it will be worth it.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: Peninsular Scenics - and an Allied Division - Church
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2020, 07:17:41 PM »
Coming out nice so far. I'm following with great interest! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2020, 08:02:11 PM »
Church looking fine. For the 'Gun' I would suggest a (54mm?) kiddy's toy one (with a bit
of titivation & 28mm 'crew')
Tower Hamlets (Sealed Knot) used to have access to a cannon, known as Paxo.
When firing it (at half charge & loaded with grass not cannon ball) pointing AWAY from the
English Heritage house we were at, the E.H. people came running out pleading for
us to stop. We were, it seems, shaking the building so badly they were afraid
of structural damage.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2020, 09:40:12 PM »
Indeed, some of them are bloody loud.  I managed to bring slates off the roof firing my musket in Holdenby House courtyard!   We were doing press stuff a week or so before the event and the events coordinator of the house insisted we fire for the cameras there!  She went a funny shade of slate! Lol

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2020, 10:47:52 AM »
So, time for some serious effort on the church.

In order to put clay to the tower, it is necessary to at least get the roof shell in place, even if the roof tiling needs to wait.  Bobble headed pins are useful to keep things in shape when fixing with pva. 

The tower roof has this “lug” in order that it may be lifted off.  I don’t need to get inside the main model, but I do want to be able to pop figures in the tower.  I also have a bit more detailing to do in the windows yet as well as woodwork once the clay is in place.  Note I am painting on pva in the patches before adding clay, it helps it stick to the card and gives strength.  I don’t really have any clay working skills which is why I stuck on some green stuff stones.  A couple of bits of gravel from my garden are used to press texture into them.  I know there looks to be a lot of bricks pressed into the clay, but many will be “plastered” over leaving bits visible for effect where the plaster has fallen off.  If I can get the clay done this weekend, along with doors and woodwork, plaster will follow later in the week when it’s dry.

Hopefully I can resolve the tile powder issue by then..

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #71 on: July 04, 2020, 10:53:58 AM »
I was just going to ask how well the plaster adheres to the cardboard, but you were quicker, with a more detailed description!
Thanks for sharing! Cheers!

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #72 on: July 04, 2020, 10:57:49 AM »
No worries matey.  The pva is crucial I think.  It also seems to be helping with the cracking or lack thereof, though that could be because I’m rolling it pretty thin and only putting on in small patches.

I don’t have much experience of the clay, but what I have done has been thicker and prone to cracks.

Small cracks are good...add character!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #73 on: July 04, 2020, 11:03:19 AM »
...like this. But here I used stucco on cork.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #74 on: July 04, 2020, 11:06:15 AM »
Exactly, nice effect mate.