Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:07:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Middle Ages & Cthulhu - rules recommendations  (Read 4969 times)

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
Middle Ages & Cthulhu - rules recommendations
« on: May 30, 2020, 02:14:55 PM »
Which rules would you recommend for games set in the Middle Ages with 5-15 miniatures per side? I'm new to Cthulhu gaming and haven't yet read any HPL-inspired rules.

I see there's a similar topic on the Gothic Horror board: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=124617.0
Fistful of Lead mentioned there seems interesting, but the horror expansion only promises standard folklore monsters (that said, I suppose most games would feature cultists, ghouls or Deep One hybrids rather than the bigger Mythos creatures).

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
Re: Middle Ages & Cthulhu - rules recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 12:38:35 PM »
Strange Aeons (see sub-forum) is very good and fits your core requirement for cthulhu monstrosities at the core and is great fun. The main rules are intended for 1930s era, but would be fine for middle ages too as it includes bows/swords/axes etc. just ignore the weapon types that you don't want.

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 08:18:58 PM »
I think I'll give it a try...
How about armour? Also, with the game being intended for 1930s, isn't combat meant to be ranged mostly? (I.e. movement distances, weapon ranges, etc. were designed with the assumption that characters will usually be shooting at each other and not fighting with melee weapons.)

Offline EndTransmission

• Scientist
  • Little horror
    • EndTransmission's random gaming things
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 09:07:43 PM »
It has light and heavy armour as options in the equipment list. I just went and dug out the book to remind myself. The agents/cultists all come with guns and most of the agent types may not work so well in the middle ages... so it may not be quite what you're looking for. I might have a fiddle at some point and see though.

I remember there were some witchhunter type rules that came with some mythos stuff that might be closer to the feel, but I can't remember what it was called... will have a look around and see if I can remember

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 09:31:18 AM »
Not Cthulhu or Medieval per-say, but Broadsword Adventures is an RPG lite sword and sorcery skirmish game that had rules for fear causing monsters and demons...
There should be a free taster up on the Rattrap productions website?
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2020, 10:44:12 AM »
Chthulhu Dark Ages would be a good start point, though it's proper RPG rather than skirmish

Offline Psychoflexible

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2020, 11:55:46 AM »
 I use Frostgrave with mythos creatures count as instead of the classic bestiary.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2020, 11:59:09 AM »
Arguably, any ruleset can be converted to a Lovecraftian theme by adding a Sanity (loss) mechanic and this can probably be grafted into the morale mechanic that many games already contain.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2020, 04:34:36 PM »
USME Mythos and Fantasy used together might work.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2020, 08:46:42 PM »
USME Mythos and Fantasy used together might work.
Any links? I can't seem to google it...

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2020, 08:57:53 PM »

Offline agoodall

• Student
    • Hyperbear
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 03:57:27 PM »
I see there's a similar topic on the Gothic Horror board: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=124617.0
Fistful of Lead mentioned there seems interesting, but the horror expansion only promises standard folklore monsters (that said, I suppose most games would feature cultists, ghouls or Deep One hybrids rather than the bigger Mythos creatures).
I suggest you take a look at Song of Blades and Heroes. Although fantasy, you'd have no problem putting together a force of medieval knights, men-at-arms, peasants, etc. It doesn't cover Mythos creatures, but those are covered in a separate game using the same system: Fear and Faith. Fear and Faith is set in the 20th and 21st centuries, but it's compatible.

Fear and Faith doesn't have a lot of Mythos entities, and the ones they have are generic. However, I found a list online that includes stats for Dark Young, Deep Ones, Dimensional Shamblers, Elder Things, Ghouls, Hounds of Tindalos, Mi-Go, Nightgaunts, Serpentmen, Shoggoths, Yithians and others. (About the only standard Mythos critter that I have a miniature for but they don't have stats for is the Byakhee). All the special traits needed to make Mythos entities are in F&F.

Those two modules, available for $8 each on Wargame Vault, will cover most of what you're after. You might find the Song of Arthur and Merlin supplement useful, as it has historical rules and historical warband designs, particularly for the Dark Ages (Romano-British, Saxons, Picts, etc.) and rules for things like shieldwalls, jousting and chivalry.
Scottish-born Canadian-American software manager, database analyst, game designer and writer.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 05:13:28 PM »
Fear and Faith doesn't have a lot of Mythos entities, and the ones they have are generic. However, I found a list online that includes stats for Dark Young, Deep Ones, Dimensional Shamblers, Elder Things, Ghouls, Hounds of Tindalos, Mi-Go, Nightgaunts, Serpentmen, Shoggoths, Yithians and others. (About the only standard Mythos critter that I have a miniature for but they don't have stats for is the Byakhee). All the special traits needed to make Mythos entities are in F&F.

Do you have a link to that?

Offline agoodall

• Student
    • Hyperbear
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2020, 03:22:02 AM »
In case anyone else was wondering, I sent twrchtrwyth an email with the Fear and Faith Cthulhu stats attached. I originally found the file on the now defunct Yahoo group.

Offline Sarmor

• Scientist
    • The Node
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2020, 06:08:20 AM »
I searched the Strange Aeons subforum, found rules for two-handed swords, torches and some ideas for shields - I think I'll give it a try. :)

As for SoBH - thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not a fan of these rules, they are just too simple for my tastes.