Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:51:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686453
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames Atlantic: Plastic Afghan Warriors Reviewed!  (Read 3809 times)

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Wargame News and Terrain
Wargames Atlantic: Plastic Afghan Warriors Reviewed!
« on: May 30, 2020, 06:43:59 PM »
Today we will take an extensive look at the brand new Wargames Atlantic Afghan Warriors! These new 28mm hard-plastic multi-part miniatures are the first set of their new Imperial Conquests: Battles in the Age of Empire 1815-1914 miniature range. This range primarily focuses on colonial warfare although they may branch out a bit within the time frame but starting with these very useful Afghan Warriors!

The “Great Game” between Russia and Britain in the 19th century led to Afghanistan becoming a focal point of European interests. Little were British soldiers prepared for the ferocity and tenacity of these hardy mountain warriors. This set includes warriors typical of the North-West Frontier during conflicts with the British from 1830s-1920s. Depending on weapon choices they would not be inappropriate from 1700 up to the present time.

You can check the review included plenty of scale comparison pictures on Wargame News and Terrain see link below

https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/2020/05/wargames-atlantic-plastic-afghan.html
Wargame News and Terrain Blog, daily updated with the latest wargame news

Interested click https://wargameterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
Re: Wargames Atlantic: Plastic Afghan Warriors Reviewed!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 10:18:23 AM »
Excellent review, well considered and extremely informative! Thank you for posting it!
Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 11:04:10 AM »
Great review, thanks!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 04:59:20 AM »
Thanks much appreciated! Always aim to write a balanced review with positive and negative points along with plenty of scale comparison pictures.

Offline nervisfr

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Ch'ti Ré-Animator
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 02:28:14 PM »
Well, by now a new deal .................with the Perry's one coming for august  :-* :-*

;D ;D ;D
Frenchy Eric, aka Ch'ti Eric or Re-Animator
"J'ai bon caractere mais j'ai le glaive vengeur et le bras seculier"

http://chti-reanimator59.blogspot.fr[

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 12:49:57 AM »
Wow! There's a lot of nice detail on these figs to paint.
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline Bob Murch

• Scientist
  • Honest purveyor of toys and such.
    • Pulp Figures
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 04:37:34 AM »
Quite enticing! And a box of plastic figs are always nicely affordable even if you don't use them all. Its always great to add more variety to the tribes.

Offline Belgian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 06:22:29 PM »
Quite enticing! And a box of plastic figs are always nicely affordable even if you don't use them all. Its always great to add more variety to the tribes.

That's true always useful to have, even if it's only for certain bits and pieces.

Offline TheCaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 09:24:32 PM »
A weird question, that might not fit here, but here goes. How do they compare in size to gw Imperial Guard minis? I wanted to try to do some tallarn for a while and these could be helpful.

Offline Von Stroheim

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 11:49:36 PM »
According to their Facebook page Wargames Atlantic will have Plastic Afghan cavalry ready in a few months - no pics though.

https://www.facebook.com/wargamesatlantic/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 07:32:00 AM »
According to their Facebook page Wargames Atlantic will have Plastic Afghan cavalry ready in a few months - no pics though.

https://www.facebook.com/wargamesatlantic/

I would certainly have to see pictures before even considering buying; I have to say that the look of the Perry plastic Afghans is streets ahead of the Wargames Atlantic stuff. There's just no comparison in terms of the naturalness and poise the Perry stuff and awkward look of the WA mini's.

Having said that, I might be tempted to buy a box of the WA Afghans just for head swaps and conversions.

EDIT: but, I'm probably going to see if the Perry's produce different 'turbaned' heads for different tribes on the NWF- there was some talk of them possibly releasing more modern weapons on a podcast they featured on.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 11:20:29 AM by Atheling »

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 08:22:09 AM »
A weird question, that might not fit here, but here goes. How do they compare in size to gw Imperial Guard minis? I wanted to try to do some tallarn for a while and these could be helpful.

They are a lot smaller than GW IG. The Afghans are true 1/56 and very skinny the heads would look silly on GW IG I'm afraid to say unless you are after mutants with small head mutations.

Offline TheCaptain

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 10:57:43 AM »
Shame. Thank you

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2020, 11:27:42 AM »
I have a box of these, as mentioned already they are not as nice as the Perrys by some way, some of mine have come out ok, others less so, I am mixing them in with metals on some bases and have done a couple with Sikh heads from the Blot action WW2 range, I may even get some more sikh heads and do more of these as they came out OK. I have used oen of their heads to convert an Iron Duke cavalryman and its looks good so far, the heads are hit and miss and but about half of them are very nice indeed. Darrol if you wanted to swap a sprue or two when you get a bunch of Perrys to add variety happy to support, Only 5 to a sprue so swap 2-1 rather than buy a bunch.
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2020, 11:31:22 AM »
Darrol if you wanted to swap a sprue or two when you get a bunch of Perrys to add variety happy to support, Only 5 to a sprue so swap 2-1 rather than buy a bunch.

Thanks Roger. I'll take you up on that offer- I'm buying the three boxes (of course!) so it will be very doable  :)