Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:04:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Samnites  (Read 6069 times)

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
Re: 15mm Samnites
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2020, 08:14:59 PM »
Amazing as always.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2020, 12:23:03 AM »
@Eoin OCnaimhsi: Thanks very much. :) I'm very happy with how much positive feedback this handful of smaller scale figures get. There's something about hoplites (yeah, technically they aren't, but you know what I mean), isn't it.

@Irregular Wars Nic: Yeah, it's a lot of work which basically can't be batch painted (a.) for sanity and b.) I think if I paint sun patterns on say 50 shields, then half circles on another 50 and swirly on another 50 I think I'll get sloppy after a while), but I have to admit that I enjoy painting the shields quite a lot so far. Feels like something I know how to do and I feel more in my element with these than back when I painted all these warriors over light grey primer with lots of washes and a bit of contrast paints and whatnot.

@Easy E: Thanks very much. :)

Right, I'm on 96 shields now, painting them in batches of 16 (4 bases, like the testers). Got a serviceable brush, proceeding slowly, but surely, and I really like the look of the results. On the side I started making 10mm size gabions for my own Thirty Years War collection for some field fortifications, just for a bit of change.

Fun side note on those gabions - Yesterday I made 5 gabions, made a press mold for them (because I seem to have binned my Polymorph pellets [the stuff wot goes soft in hot water, used for making press molds mostly] after not having used it for like 10 years). If I keep using that 5-gabions-press-mold I won't get those two (!) test redoubts done until 2025, so I started making some more gabions from GS by hand. Goes quickly and cheerfully. Not that they look great or awfully detailled - but it's 10mm figures and it's gabions. So it's okay. So now I'm running the press mold and just making more gabions by hand simultaneously.

So between this and hand-painting 15mm shield designs I kinda feel like the least efficient person in the world. :D But I do my own stuff, it's unique (press mold aside :P ) and I'm happy doing it. And it works somehow. Kinda. For me. And my utter lack of drive for efficiency or 'being clever'. Story of my life. :D

edit: We're at 128 shields done now. This is riveting. :D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 04:23:01 PM by Battle Brush Sigur »

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2020, 08:51:25 PM »
160 done now.

Here's a really bad snapshot of the latest batch:

I have to stress that they look much nicer in real life.

The more the designs I paint look like IKEA's latest christmas gift wrappers the sooner I should take a break I suppose. :P

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2020, 12:13:25 AM »
Nicely done!  :-*

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2020, 02:28:56 PM »
Those shields are brilliant!!! Great designs and extremely well-executed!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2020, 07:47:28 PM »
I've said before that you are a painting machine! Very prolific, neat and made with such care for so many minis!
Jaw dropping! Your free hand job on the shields is a must-see! Many congrats!!!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2020, 01:53:22 PM »
Sometimes, I wish I was in the EU so I could pay Sigur could paint my armies! 

Plus, he has good taste in movies too!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2020, 06:48:51 AM »
Fab freehand work on those shields given the scale  8)

Offline mc_deli

• Bookworm
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2020, 08:28:20 PM »
160 done now.

Here's a really bad snapshot of the latest batch:

I have to stress that they look much nicer in real life.

The more the designs I paint look like IKEA's latest christmas gift wrappers the sooner I should take a break I suppose. :P
Obscene for 15!

Amazing:)

Offline markw

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2020, 08:05:04 AM »
Hi Battle Brush,

Are they the Mirliton minis?

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2020, 07:12:47 PM »
@Ray Rivers: Thanks! :)

@guitarheroandy: Thank you. I got some good reference material to work off of, but between those designs I gotta come up with ever new combinations and so on. I'm rather certain that no two shields in this force will be the same.

@DintheDin. Thank once more, sir. :) The cool thing about the shields being freehanded is that they fit in with the paintjob much better. Shield decals always look a bit like an "alien" piece on a painted miniature. With these here I know that these are "all me".

@Easy E: :D Cheers! Much appreciated.

@Atheling: Many thanks!

@mc_deli: Well, 'obscene' is what I'm going for always. :D 

@markw: Hello. :) These are all Xyston figures. The cavalry might be from some other place because they look a bit different, but I'm not familiar with the make of those. I got the figures to paint, I didn't buy them.

Right, I hope y'all like Samnites. Because that's all there is tonight! :P

That's 52 bases done. Out of a total of 99 infantry bases. Plus 17 skirmisher bases and 8 horsemen bases. Wahey! Hope you like them.

Not the greatest picture, but I put them all in a box and didn't want to get each base out again for the photo. I'll do proper pictures once all of them are done. If you don't get to see an army shot of those within the next ....4 months it means I went insane, ate my paintbrushes and decided to live the rest of my life as a chicken. At the moment experts calculate the chance of that happening to be at about 23%.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2020, 08:03:58 PM »
Ah! Lucky man your client! Your production rate is unbelievable, Turbo Brush!  :-* lol

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2020, 09:56:42 PM »
Oh my!    :o ;D :D

That is a great group shot, but only half way done! 

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2020, 12:30:10 AM »
Find Waldo!  ;)

Darn, that is a lot of great looking minis!  :-*

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2020, 12:47:47 AM »
@DintheDin: Haha, thanks very much. :)

@Easy E: Yeah, I was kinda dreading the moment I get an actual overview, because it makes me understand the workload that's still ahead of me. Plus SO many other projects which start getting a bit pressing in terms of timeframe... oh well, I'll go on. Ramped up the batch numbers of shields from 16 to 48 now. That's shields done for another 12 bases now. I got 28 bases standing in front of me on the table, waiting for shields. That's the next goal, getting these guys done. After that I'll do the cavalry, because those are mostly done now as well (also just lacking shields and spears). Then I'll know how I'm supposed to do commander bases. Those I'll do along with the rest of the infantry, and THEN I'll do the skirmishers, because those aren't even painted. Hooray, there's a plan.

@Ray Rivers: :D He's there, just keep looking! Cheers.